Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which players in your opinion got too many or too few senior international caps?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Which players in your opinion got too many or too few senior international caps?

This was discussed last week on BBC Radio 5 Live about the UK teams but I thought I'd hold off on a thread about Ireland until we needed something extra to keep us busy when the dust had setteled on the two qualifiers.

In your opinion what player(s) got too many international caps and who got too few (none even) and give your reasons why.

Such things as too many because there just wasn't any decent competition for his position at the time, he was a pet player of a particular manager, he lived too long off past glories athough he was well past his best and so on.
    Or too few because his talent was simply overlooked, he had the talent but had a lazy/stinky attitude, he had a falling out with the wrong person, injury, there was such strong competition for his position at the time but if he was around now he would be in the starting 11, he played for the wrong team in the wrong league and so on.

Hopefully it will raise some interesting debate.

I would have liked to have seen Owen Coyle given a few more caps. I know he played mainly at a low level but he always scored a load of goals and continued to do so into his late 30's. Maybe international football was beyond him but he should have been given more caps to prove this. David Kelly and Tommy Coyne made the 1994 WC squad so you never know.

Being a small country there have been of course lots of players capped at international level due to lack of competition. The one name that springs to mind is Alan Kernaghan with 26 caps. I know some people will now put McShane in this category

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Alan O'Brien should never have been capped, and Lapira probably joins him in that category.

Dean Kiely and Lee Carsley didn't get as many caps as their talent should have got them because there was simply too much competition in their positions.

Back when we had some issues with striker options, I would have liked to have given Lee Trundle a run out in a friendly or two to see how he would have done. He's on the wrong side of 30 now and isn't as good as he was, but at his peak he was prolific, albeit at a lower level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Who has the record for the most appearances for the Republic of Ireland?
    I'm a 23yr old right-handed heterosexual who drinks milk and likes democracy. - dcfcsteve knows me well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umberside View Post
    Who has the record for the most appearances for the Republic of Ireland?
    I think Staunton holds the record with 102 caps, but Shay and Kilbane are in the mid 90s, and Robbie has 88, so one of those will break the record within the next year or two.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I don't think John Sheridan got enough caps. He was a class player.

I believe Kilbane has been overcapped. Yes he gives his all for Ireland but there were times when he was truly, truly awful.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergie's Son View Post
    Absolutely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Packie Bonner as the laughter that went around after his name was called caused me great anxiety as a child.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    I believe Kilbane has been overcapped. Yes he gives his all for Ireland but there were times when he was truly, truly awful.
    I agree that based on talent he probably shouldn't have been capped as much as he has been, but he filled a void for us on the left side of midfield when we didn't have better options, and now is filling a void at left full where we are just as short as we used to be at left mid.

So, while he has definitely benefited with a shortage of competition in his positions, I don't think he has been played at the expense of better players.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Good Debate.

Players who I would have liked to have seen capped more would be John Sheridan, Owen Coyle, John Byrne and Bernie Slaven who I always thought were good intelligent players, the latter three with a great eye for goal.

Playes who should have made made the grade if it wasn't for their love of the good life is Keiron Byrne, Thomas Butler & Sean Thornton (Sunderland), Tony Sheridan (Coventry) & Lee Power (Norwich).

Current players who have been under-capped is Kevin Foley (should have been blooded a year ago), Keith Andrews (Never fulfilled his early potential at Wolves) as well as Stephen Ireland and Andy Reid for obvious reasons.

Don't like to criticise any player in a green shirt too heavily. Worried that Killer is going to damage his reputation the longer that he plays. Also, a pity that Don Givens was ever capped (or even took up a career in football).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think Clinton Morrison should have had more caps. Not everyone's cup of tea but the lad's really game. He always gives 100%. Not the most graceful player but if you wanted someone to p1ss off defences he's your man.
    Shades of Jackism maybe but what did Robbie's goal against Italy remind you of???
    Esse Quam Videri

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Irish Wolf View Post
    Also, a pity that Don Givens was ever capped (or even took up a career in football).

For sure, he should stay away from football for the same reason some people should stay away from a box of matches.
    Esse Quam Videri

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts

yeah Kilbane for me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis The Red View Post
    I think Clinton Morrison should have had more caps. Not everyone's cup of tea but the lad's really game. He always gives 100%. Not the most graceful player but if you wanted someone to p1ss off defences he's your man.
    Shades of Jackism maybe but what did Robbie's goal against Italy remind you of???
    Loved watching Morrison play for Ireland, was talking to a lad I know who also play's at Coventry and nobody has been in touch with Morrison since Trap took over so I think it's safe to say he won't play for us again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    Loved watching Morrison play for Ireland, was talking to a lad I know who also play's at Coventry and nobody has been in touch with Morrison since Trap took over so I think it's safe to say he won't play for us again.
    Morisson was named in Trapattoni's initial squad!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Cant help but think Kilbane has been over capped, just wish that Steven Reid had Kilbanes imuneness to injuries
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Paul Osam should have been capped

so much for homogenous ireland....

osam, mcgrath, babb, fleming, phelan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Second I saw this thread I knew it was open season on Kilbane , I would have Liked to see Ronnie O Brien get a run at the height of his powers

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Irish Wolf View Post
    Good Debate.

Also, a pity that Don Givens was ever capped (or even took up a career in football).
    I know he's judged now on his u-21 management job but you wouldn't say the above if you'd been around to see his 7 goals against Russia and Turkey in '74/'75. He deserved every cap he got and held the top scoring record for us for about 10 years before Stapleton passed him out. He was also very proud to represent his country.....

"Nothing means half as much as standing when the national anthem is playing, " Don reflects on his international career. "When I stood for the national anthem during my first game at home against Hungary, it was probably the biggest thing that I'll remember. It's what separates international football from club football. I think that's something I'll never forget."
    "Can I have a Kit-Kat, chunky?"

"you mean a big one"

"No a normal kit-kat you fat bitch"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tis-smeee View Post
    Second I saw this thread I knew it was open season on Kilbane , I would have Liked to see Ronnie O Brien get a run at the height of his powers
    ya said the same thing....

like to have seen clinton get more caps..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Steven Reid has way too few caps.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast