Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Faces for RTE Panel?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

New Faces for RTE Panel?

Dunphy and Giles have entertained and provoked talking points for years now, but after Wednesdays ill-informed, amateur bar stool musing after what amounted to one of the great away Irish performances, should RTE be looking for fresh intelligent younger faces with more savy and reasoned arguments.

I have always enjoyed RTEs no holds bar post match analysis and found it refreshing compared to the banal counter parts in SKY and the English terresterial channels, but there comes a point and I think Wednesday night performance by Dunphy was that point when thoughtful insightful intelligent analysis is overtaken by incoherent agenda driven drivel, I am not going to get into specifics but almost everything Dunphy said was wrong.. Whelan stayed silent bullied into submission I suspect and Giles acquiesence was as predictable as his matching grey suit and grey hair..
    Having said all of that who should RTE replace these relics of a bygone era with..personally I don't think there is much talent out there but any suggestions as alternatives are welcome!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Agree totally, Giles and Dunphy have entertained us for yrs but over the last 18 months or so i just cant listen to Dunphy, Giles incidently is still great on Newstalk when he's own his own. Nowadays i just turn off when the panel is on. Imo it can be fixed by axing Dunphy alone, Souness was decent enough and would probably like a full time gig, Ron Atkinson is class aswell. Anyone but Dunphy really.
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    no id keep giles, just get rid of dunphy which they wont do though. ya sousness i like, maybe aldridge could do a job ? nobody really springs to mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm just putting this out there....what about a petition to get Dunphy out. I've read a lot of comments/forums across different websites and there's certainly a lot of people out there that are sick of him. OK, so it mightn't get him off that panel,but at least they might realise that Dunphy is now a liability on the show,because I for one turned over the minute he mentioned "drunk gambler". Disgraceful. Maybe an e-mail petition,whereby once you get the mail you forward it to everyone you know and also to RTE. Just an idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    It's lucky for Staunton that RTE didn't cover the away games in Cyprus and San Marino last time. Instead of Dunphy's gun, we had the wisdom and barepokes of Matt Holland to analyse the wreckage.

And of course, Toshack, the coach who also lost in Cyprus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    No way, dunphy makes the internatiobal football exciting, i take all dunphys comment the way their meant to be taken, in good humour. Blind gambler, absolute gold!! Maybe he motivates the team after a bad performance, cant remember who it was but one fo the players had a sneaky dig at him over what was written in the papers. Anything he said between sat night and tuesday we all agreed with- with regards to traps tactics.
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    It's a pity he comes out with tripe like that because it then discredits his totally plausible claim that Teflon Don Givens should be out of a job.

I doubt anyone takes Dunphy's word as gospel but he does get people talking. I think that panel is far better with Souness on it. Whelan is dross.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bellavistaman View Post
    No way, dunphy makes the internatiobal football exciting, i take all dunphys comment the way their meant to be taken, in good humour. Blind gambler, absolute gold!! Maybe he motivates the team after a bad performance, cant remember who it was but one fo the players had a sneaky dig at him over what was written in the papers. Anything he said between sat night and tuesday we all agreed with- with regards to traps tactics.
    eh no we didnt...hes a tosser who didnt want to give trap any credit for wed night's win. hes a fool.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    I am afraid it's no different to what the Panel has been doing over the past 20 years. They haven't entertained me with their vicious and personal attacks on the last 5 Irish managers but the fact that people are still talking about them, means the show will go on.

Typical Panel discussion over the past 20 Years

O'Herlihy introduces the discussion with some over the top statement, Dunphy makes a few over the top personal attacks, Bill laughs, Giles pulls on the side of his jacket and agrees with Dunphy and says it's all about getting the ball down and passing, the gombeen in the middle (other than Souness) agrees with the other two, DUnphy then contradicts himself, Bill laughs, Giles pulls on the side of his jacket and repeats it's all about getting the ball down and passing, Dunphy agrees with Giles and makes another outrageous statement, Bill laughs, the gombeen in the middle agrees with Giles, one clip of 10 seconds (from hours of football) is shown to emphasise their point, Dunphy then makes a joke, Bill laughs, Giles pulls on the side of his jacket, says he doesn't want to repeat himself but that it's all about getting the ball down and passing, DUnphy agrees with Giles, Bill laughs, has a dig at Charlton and says it's time for a break.

The match then goes totally to what they predicted and Dunphy says it's because the opposition are the worst on the planet, Bill laughs etc etc
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 03/04/2009 at 10:05 AM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    All true Owlsfan, but it's still 100% better than anything on Sky, BBC, ITC, Setanta etc...

Sit through the bland non-entity musings of Lee Dixon & Alan Shearer for an evening and you'll be soon curled up in a corner rocking back & forth waiting for something slightly controversial to be said and longing for one of Eamons non-sensical rambles!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Bring back Souness
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    In fairness RTE do actually try to analyse the games unlike Sky or BBC/ITV and can do it it in an entertaining manner.

But old father time has caught up with the panel and unfortunately like some football managers (i.e. Dagliesh at Liverpool) the whole team has been allowed to become old at the same time.

There has been no effective new blood introduced when the team was doing well and now all will probably have to be replaced including the host at the same time.

This is always a risky situation but at this stage there is little alternative

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bellavistaman View Post
    I agree too - keep him - I totally agreed with what he said on Wednesday and Christ there's enough blandness around out there already. Just because you don't agree with his opinions doesn't mean he shouldn't have a voice, it's a concept called free speech - who do you want to do it Daniel O'Donnell or Stephen Gately all meek in the corner saying we were great all the time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Matt Holland - The Boys will be dissapointed with that (Post 5-2 humiliation in Cyprus)
    or
    Eamon Dunphy - I'm ashamed for all the great men of Irish football (after just about every game that we don't win 15-0)

I know which I prefer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJTheGull View Post
    I agree too - keep him - I totally agreed with what he said on Wednesday and Christ there's enough blandness around out there already. Just because you don't agree with his opinions doesn't mean he shouldn't have a voice, it's a concept called free speech - who do you want to do it Daniel O'Donnell or Stephen Gately all meek in the corner saying we were great all the time?
    no well i for one am just getting a bit tired of him. couldnt bring himself to praise trap. normally he has a go at him for not making sub and trap makes 3 great changes on wed and its a gamble lunatic stuff. did u hear him on about changing hunt for doyle??? "are u serious, has he ever seen hunt play". fck off ya tosser. if your going to be like he is then call it as it is, dont change it when it suits you. italy were rubbish after the game apparently and trap was lucky. wnker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Souness is a brilliant alternative to Dunphy. The guy actually knows what he's talking about.

I'd go for having Eoin Hand on the panel too. He does a good job on MNS.

Who knows, maybe Jack Charlton could be tempted to come on but I'm sure he could also be a bit of a liability.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    Souness is a brilliant alternative to Dunphy. The guy actually knows what he's talking about.

I'd go for having Eoin Hand on the panel too. He does a good job on MNS.

Who knows, maybe Jack Charlton could be tempted to come on but I'm sure he could also be a bit of a liability.
    ah pleaseeee, hed bore ya to death. literally you would die at half time and miss the second half with boredom. ha no way. yes to sousness though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Dunphy has become more outlandish lately. Starting to think the guy is bi-polar. Souness is certainly decent. Kenny Cunningham is also very knowledgable, articulate and has played a hell of a lot more international football than Dunphy.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Typical Panel discussion over the past 20 Years

O'Herlihy introduces the discussion with some over the top statement, Dunphy makes a few over the top personal attacks, Bill laughs, Giles pulls on the side of his jacket and agrees with Dunphy and says it's all about getting the ball down and passing, the gombeen in the middle (other than Souness) agrees with the other two, DUnphy then contradicts himself, Bill laughs, Giles pulls on the side of his jacket and repeats it's all about getting the ball down and passing, Dunphy agrees with Giles and makes another outrageous statement, Bill laughs, the gombeen in the middle agrees with Giles, one clip of 10 seconds (from hours of football) is shown to emphasise their point, Dunphy then makes a joke, Bill laughs, Giles pulls on the side of his jacket, says he doesn't want to repeat himself but that it's all about getting the ball down and passing, DUnphy agrees with Giles, Bill laughs, has a dig at Charlton and says it's time for a break.

The match then goes totally to what they predicted and Dunphy says it's because the opposition are the worst on the planet, Bill laughs etc etc
    Hilarious but true.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Bites View Post
    Dunphy and Giles have entertained and provoked talking points for years now, but after Wednesdays ill-informed, amateur bar stool musing after what amounted to one of the great away Irish performances, should RTE be looking for fresh intelligent younger faces with more savy and reasoned arguments.

I have always enjoyed RTEs no holds bar post match analysis and found it refreshing compared to the banal counter parts in SKY and the English terresterial channels, but there comes a point and I think Wednesday night performance by Dunphy was that point when thoughtful insightful intelligent analysis is overtaken by incoherent agenda driven drivel, I am not going to get into specifics but almost everything Dunphy said was wrong.. Whelan stayed silent bullied into submission I suspect and Giles acquiesence was as predictable as his matching grey suit and grey hair..
    Having said all of that who should RTE replace these relics of a bygone era with..personally I don't think there is much talent out there but any suggestions as alternatives are welcome!
    Absolutely not, Dunphy is spot on and great value. Typical Irish attitude, anyone speaking the truth should be silenced, that's why this country is in such a state. Keep you heads in the sand and long live the recession.

They say that Deja Vu doesn't strike twice (they don't really say that!) but I am reminded of the brief period of optimism after the 1-0 wins over Wales and Slovakia with Stan in charge when suddenly everything was "GRAND". We all know how that turned out!

The fortunate 1-1 draw v Italy though welcomed, is not any indication of any progress. It was a very random performance, bizarre in many aspects and if anyone thinks that it points to anything that we can rely on going forward, they are sadly disillusioned.
    Last edited by Scram; 03/04/2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Spellink

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast