Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Faces for RTE Panel?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Does anybody else think the PRE match discusion was good, especially the analysis of the CM performance against Bulgaria?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    eh no we didnt...hes a tosser who didnt want to give trap any credit for wed night's win. hes a fool.
    Did I miss something at the match??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Think we have to realise how little the panel know about the game. Outside of watching seeing the Premiership every Sat night, Giles knows nothing about the game. He thinks that the only way to win in pressure and tanasity, his favourtie words.
    Dunphy just talks ****** now and believes his own hype. He mentioned something about seeing Kishichev play for Charlton recently. He left them in 2007. He said Trappatoni had never Reid play, a lie. And he seems to think that Lee Carsley is having the season of his life in Championship. The final straw for me came when he said that the Folan substitution was a terrible move. Hell he practically got us the point.
    Whealan cant make up his own mind and just agrees
    It was like they were sulking after the Italian game, and that we got the point in spite of Traps substitutions, not because of them

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Dunphy's "analysis" was disgraceful on Wednesday night after the match. This article sums up my thoughts on it:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/an...y-1696738.html

He accused Caleb Folan of not being up to it at one point and then when the emails were read out agreed with the viewer that said his aerial presence led to the goal.
    He criticized the Doyle substitution even though he was having a serious off day. Who does he expect to come off the bench, Torres, Messi or Ronaldinho?
    An absolute c***.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Dunphy has become more outlandish lately. Starting to think the guy is bi-polar. Souness is certainly decent. Kenny Cunningham is also very knowledgable, articulate and has played a hell of a lot more international football than Dunphy.
    Ever since he had the audience eating out of his lámh on the Late Late debating prior to the last general election. It was his "are you serious?" in half yank accent that topped off the performance for me the other night.

Ironic that Souness is the best pundit on RTE right now. The man is liberated when he comes on Irish tv. The night he took Dunphy down a peg on Champions Lge night was beautiful.
    I'd like to see Darragh Moloney or Peter Collins present, with Gilesy, Souness, and Cunningham doing analysis, perfect trio for giving the opinion of the different generations.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ironic that Souness is the best pundit on RTE right now. The man is liberated when he comes on Irish tv. The night he took Dunphy down a peg on Champions Lge night was beautiful.
    I'd like to see Darragh Moloney or Peter Collins present, with Gilesy, Souness, and Cunningham doing analysis, perfect trio for giving the opinion of the different generations.
    Totally agree..then we might have some educated, expert opinions to listen to.
    What I love about Souness is when Dunphy spouts some sort of Sh*te, the look on Souness's face...as if to say "is this guy for real?"..lt's like he can't believe the words coming out of Dunphy's mouth!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Ever since he had the audience eating out of his lámh on the Late Late debating prior to the last general election. It was his "are you serious?" in half yank accent that topped off the performance for me the other night.

for the love of God no...never please please

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Does anybody else think the PRE match discusion was good, especially the analysis of the CM performance against Bulgaria?
    YES

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reality Bites
    Dunphy and Giles have entertained and provoked talking points for years now, but after Wednesdays ill-informed, amateur bar stool musing after what amounted to one of the great away Irish performances, should RTE be looking for fresh intelligent younger faces with more savy and reasoned arguments.

I have always enjoyed RTEs no holds bar post match analysis and found it refreshing compared to the banal counter parts in SKY and the English terresterial channels, but there comes a point and I think Wednesday night performance by Dunphy was that point when thoughtful insightful intelligent analysis is overtaken by incoherent agenda driven drivel, I am not going to get into specifics but almost everything Dunphy said was wrong.. Whelan stayed silent bullied into submission I suspect and Giles acquiesence was as predictable as his matching grey suit and grey hair..
    Having said all of that who should RTE replace these relics of a bygone era with..personally I don't think there is much talent out there but any suggestions as alternatives are welcome!

qoute: SCRAM

Absolutely not, Dunphy is spot on and great value. Typical Irish attitude, anyone speaking the truth should be silenced, that's why this country is in such a state. Keep you heads in the sand and long live the recession.

They say that Deja Vu doesn't strike twice (they don't really say that!) but I am reminded of the brief period of optimism after the 1-0 wins over Wales and Slovakia with Stan in charge when suddenly everything was "GRAND". We all know how that turned out!

The fortunate 1-1 draw v Italy though welcomed, is not any indication of any progress. It was a very random performance, bizarre in many aspects and if anyone thinks that it points to anything that we can rely on going forward, they are sadly disillusioned.
    Last edited by Scram; 03/04/2009 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I never knew Souness left. Why is he gone?
    I'm a 23yr old right-handed heterosexual who drinks milk and likes democracy. - dcfcsteve knows me well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    I'd keep Giles and Dunphy and add Roy Keane ... we'd win the pundits world cup with that panel !!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciprian Marica View Post
    Dunphy's "analysis" was disgraceful on Wednesday night after the match. This article sums up my thoughts on it:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/an...y-1696738.html

He accused Caleb Folan of not being up to it at one point and then when the emails were read out agreed with the viewer that said his aerial presence led to the goal.
    He criticized the Doyle substitution even though he was having a serious off day. Who does he expect to come off the bench, Torres, Messi or Ronaldinho?
    An absolute c***.
    Good article. This line says it all for me:

"Really, it was like eavesdropping on a clutch of bitter old codgers on bar stools at closing time. "

Could not agree more

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram
    Absolutely not, Dunphy is spot on and great value. Typical Irish attitude, anyone speaking the truth should be silenced, that's why this country is in such a state. Keep you heads in the sand and long live the recession.

It was a very random performance, bizarre in many aspects and if anyone thinks that it points to anything that we can rely on going forward, they are sadly disillusioned.
    Did Dunphy hack into your profile??

There was no truth in what was said last Wednesday. It was a snivelling, whinging, incoherent scattergun set of rants from a person unqualified to analyse the modern game, and incapable of accepting that we have made great progress with the current coach.

The international team was the butt of jokes 18 months ago, it isn't anymore. ED hasn't realised that yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    i think the best panel would be

Giles - grumpy and poker faced
    Hand - nervous energy and enthusiasm
    Souness - stone cold, impartial, realism

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    I'd keep Giles and Dunphy and add Roy Keane ... we'd win the pundits world cup with that panel !!
    I agree on Keane.

Without Brady saying "Its hard for me becasuse he's a friend of mine but i think he should go" we would have ben looking at Staunton still having the job. But without Dunphy I don't think he would have said it.

There is a balance to the panel at present in terms of the 2 quieter considered one, and the incoherant loudmouth. When Souness is there in place of Whelan its even better imho.

But i think Roy Keane in place of Dunphy would serve to make the loudmouth opinionated one a bit more coherant, though i don't think he would take his job given that Dunphy did his book. So I would replace Giles with Keane, have them both on the panel for a while and then replace Dunphy with someone more considered. Maybe the likes of Cunningham, Gary Kelly, or, if he would do it, the best man for the job...

OOh AAH PAUL MCGRATH, OOh AAH PAUL MCGRATH.

Would also like to see injured players and the like to give an insight into the squad. Steve Finnan or Damian Duff for the last games for example

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    That's ridiculous, the 1-0 wins over Wales and Slovakia were preceeded by two of the worst Irish performances of all time, Cyprus and Netherlands at home. No-one, at all, thought everything was grand, anyone with half a footballing brain could see everything about Staunton's set up was a horror show. If you thought things were grand after those wins then it probably shows just how out of touch you are to be negative about our position and performances in this group thus far.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Slovakia at home was a decent enough performance. Wales at home was daibolical. We were outplayed for large parts of the game by a Championship midfield and Dunne was bailed out by Given on one notable occasion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJTheGull View Post
    I agree too - keep him - I totally agreed with what he said on Wednesday and Christ there's enough blandness around out there already. Just because you don't agree with his opinions doesn't mean he shouldn't have a voice, it's a concept called free speech - who do you want to do it Daniel O'Donnell or Stephen Gately all meek in the corner saying we were great all the time?
    Some people on here think that you only have the right to free speech on this forum if you agree with everything they say CJ. They think that the higher their post count, the more right they have to be here over someone with fewer posts.

I agreed with Dunphy in everything he said too. Whats going on with Clap Trap is a modern day version of The Emporers New Clothes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    One thing I find funny about Dunphy is that he wanted Trappatoni to be appointed Ireland manager, since his first match in charge have we heard one good word about him from Dunphy ? On Wednesday Trapatoni may have proved alot of doubters wrong (only one game where we played at our I know) but you would think he would have complemented the performance by the team and tactics by the manager.
    Coleman for Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    Some people on here think that you only have the right to free speech on this forum if you agree with everything they say CJ. They think that the higher their post count, the more right they have to be here over someone with fewer posts.

I agreed with Dunphy in everything he said too. Whats going on with Clap Trap is a modern day version of The Emporers New Clothes.
    He contradicts himself so many times over the course of the coverage it is embarassing. He said that Trap has never seen Noel Hunt play which is untrue and he said it was fact. He has done this a few times in relation to this issue. His dismissive attitude to Traps subs the other night was low level tv and would fit in more in the playground to be honest.

Oh just out of interest, who on here quoted their post count as a back up to an argument.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    He contradicts himself so many times over the course of the coverage it is embarassing. He said that Trap has never seen Noel Hunt play which is untrue and he said it was fact. He has done this a few times in relation to this issue. His dismissive attitude to Traps subs the other night was low level tv and would fit in more in the playground to be honest.

Oh just out of interest, who on here quoted their post count as a back up to an argument.
    I never said that anyone used it as back up to their arguement, i said that they think they have more right to be here. Just yesterday there was a thread set up be Stuttgart88 ripping into me and telling me i should leave the forum because i don't agree that Trappatoni is great and Robbie Keane is a hero.

Clap Trap has been to no Reading matches from what i can gather, and Hunt had only played 40 minutes for Ireland before Wednesday. How can putting him on not be a gamble???

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast