Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U21s vs Turkey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    So McCann and Keith Treacy were both left out of this squad because of rows it the Don. Time for a new manager. Givens hasn't got what it takes to deal with players. No man management.
    Always look on the bright side of life

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    I thought it was interesting that Givens said after the Spain game the Eddie Nolan was probably the only player in the squad ready to step up and guess who makes two bad mistakes in the game? Eddie Nolan. Then again that probably makes him a certainy for one of the full back spots in the next senior squad.

Givens time and again has shown his inability to manage modern young players, if he had any dignity he would have stepped aside long ago, the sad thing is he seems to be a key advisor of Trap and the national team is suffering as a result of his ineptitude.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Isn't McCarthy allowed to change his mind once after this? He also played in the 2-2 in Portugal where Teflon Don Givens said that he thought he was now tied, but he actually wasn't.

I know I should know but I keep forgetting. Is there a sticky on the eligibility rules? There should be.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 01/04/2009 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Regardless of Givens' man management skills or merits as U21 coach, the results in competitive games have not been good enough. It's time to re-evaluate where the U21 team is going and Givens' role in getting us there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Regardless of Givens' man management skills or merits as U21 coach, the results in competitive games have not been good enough. It's time to re-evaluate where the U21 team is going and Givens' role in getting us there.
    Agreed, I think it's time for some fresh blood in the job with maybe a different approach. I know that in some ways the job of U21 Manager is a thankless task and the focus needs to be on developing players as much as results, but you should still be held accountable and Givens seems to have run out of ideas ages ago.
    The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.
    Muhammad Ali

Roy Keane is still a pri*k!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Agree totally.

The U21 team we field is always invariably made up of 5 or 6 guys still U19 eligible. Surely it's best to field your strongest team at all age levels, increasing the likelihood of tournment qualification / progression and increasing the likelihood of a bunch of players coming through together for the senior team. The current strategy must be totally demoralising for the players.

Time to go Don.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    I was at the game last night and found it utterly depressing to see a game Irish side sent out to play against a decent Turkish side with only one striker (sheridan) on his own. That said Sheridan missed two sitters one in each half but to see the ball lumped up to a striker on his own must be demoralising for any player.
    I would agree with the sentiments expressed about the manager, to contrast our side with the the seemingly better technique of the Turks on the night and the willingness to get the ball down is depressing stuff. I know some of our lads can play, to see them stifled like this with only one outlet to aim at is so sad.
    ''and I for one welcome our new insect overlords''

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Stokes is the only other striking option I can think of and he would have been called into senior squad anyway. I like that formation he's using as long as the wide players are supporting the striker. We're a lot better to watch since he went with 3 in midfield. Just conceding plenty but also creating plenty without finishing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12