Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fingal announce new iniaitive for junior supporters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamper.sffc View Post
    What

A girl of about 12 designed the mascot last year for a competition run in the local schools. She named him Fingal Freddie. Since when does the mascot have to have a direct connection with the club. Just have a look at other mascots for clubs around the world and tell me they all have have a connection with their club. Do me a favour mate, take you anger and negativity elsewhere.
    Well fair play to the young girl for designing it and all. But other than it starting with an "F" I don't see any connection. Considering your entire crest is a giant bird, I really expected that a mascot of an avian nature would have been as wide as you cast your net.

I believe that Bray Wanderers (The Seagulls) Have "Sammy the Seagull" which is obviously connected; off the top of my head West Ham have a giant Hammer, Millwall have a lion, Hull a Tiger, Man Utd "Eric the Red Devil" et cetera et cetera et cetera

As it happens my class have contacted all the Dublin "commuter-belt" clubs (as part of a LOI drive/project) via email and Fingal got back to us (along with Bohs and Bray) and mentioned this initiative. So, again; a grudging fair play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boris View Post
    seeing as we all moan about people not supporting loi teams
    Sporting Fingal don't count here. This just applies to the other 21. Sporting Fingal are pretty much just there to be hated.
    Lets redefine what it means to heal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
    I believe that Bray Wanderers (The Seagulls) Have "Sammy the Seagull" which is obviously connected
    Its actually Rocky the seagull - a giant gull who beat Drogs mascot (some kind of deformed lion) in penalties at half time during the cup semi in 05. Decent penalties too it must be said. In fact the general consensus on the terrace was that Rocky could feel aggrieved not to have been picked ahead of Tarzan O'Brien up front.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    What

A girl of about 12 designed the mascot last year for a competition run in the local schools. She named him Fingal Freddie. Since when does the mascot have to have a direct connection with the club. Just have a look at other mascots for clubs around the world and tell me they all have have a connection with their club. Do me a favour mate, take you anger and negativity elsewhere.
    In fairness - most mascots do actually have some sort of connection to their club though :

'Billy Blue' at Linfield.
    'R mucker' (the candystriped tiger) at City.
    H'angus the monkey at Hartlepool
    The Owl at Sheffield Wednesday.
    The fox at Leicester City.
    The Seagull at Bray

You get the idea without me having to go on.....

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    A 12-year-old girl came up with the name right? I'd imagine there was nothing more complicated involved than choosing an animal that began with an 'F'.

So bloody what if one mascot is the same animal as on the crest while another mascot isn't? Who honestly gives a f**k if there is any link between the club and the mascot?

Well dont to Fingal for going ahead with the creation of a young girl, and well done on the idea for junior supporters.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Well fair play to the young girl for designing it and all. But other than it starting with an "F" I don't see any connection. Considering your entire crest is a giant bird, I really expected that a mascot of an avian nature would have been as wide as you cast your net.

I believe that Bray Wanderers (The Seagulls) Have "Sammy the Seagull" which is obviously connected; off the top of my head West Ham have a giant Hammer, Millwall have a lion, Hull a Tiger, Man Utd "Eric the Red Devil" et cetera et cetera et cetera

As it happens my class have contacted all the Dublin "commuter-belt" clubs (as part of a LOI drive/project) via email and Fingal got back to us (along with Bohs and Bray) and mentioned this initiative. So, again; a grudging fair play.
    Fred The Red actually . The Town have had various Longford Lions as mascots, don't think we ever named them properly. One of them won a penalty shootout against Bray's seagull years ago much to the latter's displeasure. Marty The Monkey made an appearance a few times last year too
    Last edited by Longfordian; 26/03/2009 at 10:00 AM.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Don't forget Lily the panda, a connection if ever there was one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    A 12-year-old girl came up with the name right? I'd imagine there was nothing more complicated involved than choosing an animal that began with an 'F'.

So bloody what if one mascot is the same animal as on the crest while another mascot isn't? Who honestly gives a f**k if there is any link between the club and the mascot?

Well dont to Fingal for going ahead with the creation of a young girl, and well done on the idea for junior supporters.
    Which is why I had my original confusion at maynards comment.

Quote Originally Posted by CSFShels View Post
    Sporting Fingal don't count here. This just applies to the other 21. Sporting Fingal are pretty much just there to be hated.
    By some shels fans who have a chip on there shoulder.

I believe that Bray Wanderers (The Seagulls) Have "Sammy the Seagull" which is obviously connected; off the top of my head West Ham have a giant Hammer, Millwall have a lion, Hull a Tiger, Man Utd "Eric the Red Devil" et cetera et cetera et cetera.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    In fairness - most mascots do actually have some sort of connection to their club though :

'Billy Blue' at Linfield.
    'R mucker' (the candystriped tiger) at City.
    H'angus the monkey at Hartlepool
    The Owl at Sheffield Wednesday.
    The fox at Leicester City.
    The Seagull at Bray

You get the idea without me having to go on.....
    In fairness i did say that you couldnt tell me they all have a connection with their club. Of course you can find some that do, just like you can find some that dont

Reading have a lion

Leeds have a Tiger

Aston villa have a lion and cat

Preston have a duck

Damn you people for getting me into one of the worst arguments i have ever had on this site
    Last edited by Lamper.sffc; 26/03/2009 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    In fairness, a Candystriped Lion is a pretty tenuous connection too.

Damn you people for getting me into one of the worst arguments i have ever had on this site
    You're just getting started.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Negativity and Begrudging Attitudes

Unfortunately this thread has got polluted (like so many others) with negativity and begrudging attitudes - hardly informative or entertaining!

It seems that enduring juvenile sniping posts are the price that has to paid to for the real gems on this site

Well done Fingal on your efforts (and also to Bohemians, Shelbourne and any others who are putting in this effort) Congrats Pats on your 80c kids tickets promotion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Unfortunately this thread has got polluted (like so many others) with negativity and begrudging attitudes - hardly informative or entertaining!

It seems that enduring juvenile sniping posts are the price that has to paid to for the real gems on this site

Well done Fingal on your efforts (and also to Bohemians, Shelbourne and any others who are putting in this effort) Congrats Pats on your 80c kids tickets promotion.
    POTM! Well said. Is it any wonder our League hasn't flourished when there are plenty supporters quick to mock and knock any bit of progress.
    "oh my, that was some beer we had last night, I think I feel like getting sick" Effin Eddie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry 'da' Wyse View Post
    POTM! Well said. Is it any wonder our League hasn't flourished when there are plenty supporters quick to mock and knock any bit of progress.
    Some of ye would want to get real here. And I certainly hope that the emboldended bit above is not directed at me as I have now stated twice in this thread my (albeit grudging) respect for the Sporting Fingal effort. Does this mean that we all have to fall in love with the club too?

Ye, let's all hold hands across Dublin between Pats, Bohs, Shels, Rovers, UCD and Fingal and say how great we all are.

I think I need a lie down away from this forum for a month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    By some shels fans who have a chip on there shoulder.
    Funnily enough no fans of other clubs openly disagreed with me on that opinion. So I'd wager its not just Shels fans that don't want you around.
    Lets redefine what it means to heal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufc2000 View Post
    Sporting Fingal Club Promotions Officer Conor Cullen says the scheme has been a huge success.

“The interest in it has been brilliant so far," said Cullen. "We’ve got over 350 kids already signed up, and that’s only in a handful of schools. Hopefully in the next few weeks we can have few hundred more sign up.

“The schools are so keen to sign up, as are the kids. Hopefully it will result in improved equipment for the schools, improved attendances at our games, and most importantly that the kids get some enjoyment from it.”
    Calling Nicky Brennan to North Co. Dublin, that's Nicky Brennan to North Co. Dublin please.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    In fairness, a Candystriped Lion is a pretty tenuous connection too.

You're just getting started.
    It's only tenuous if you don't know what you're talking about.....

'The Candystriped tiger' was the name of a 1986 documentary on the phenomena that was city's retrun to football in 1985 by BBC1 Northern Ireland. The name stuck.

Also - you do understand that a lion and a tiger are two different animals....?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    In fairness i did say that you couldnt tell me they all have a connection with their club. Of course you can find some that do, just like you can find some that dont
    You're just plain wrong here mucker. The overwhelming majority of mascosts have some sort of connection with a club - it's history, its name, its colours, its crest, its location etc. Because that's the whole idea about a mascot - it should have some sort of meaning.

To prove the point, let's look at the examples you gave of ones you thought had no connection :

Reading have a lion : Their nickname is 'The Royals', and the lion is the king of the jungle. Hence that choice.

Leeds have a Tiger : That's 'Kop Kat' : a play on words between the Kop part of their stadium, and the old cartoon character 'Top Cat'

Aston villa have a lion and cat : Have you ever seen Villa's crest...?

Preston have a duck : 'Deepdale Duck'. Deepdale is their stadium : 'Me duck' is a term of endearment in Lancashire. A bit like City's mascot being called 'R Mucker'.

You may choose to argue that some of the above are tenuous - but they have some sort of reference back to their clubs none-the-less.

Indeed......
    Last edited by dcfcsteve; 26/03/2009 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post

Exactly why this site is boycotted and christened fool.ie in some quarters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFShels View Post
    Funnily enough no fans of other clubs openly disagreed with me on that opinion. So I'd wager its not just Shels fans that don't want you around.
    RRRiiiiiggghhttttt

You win

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    You're just plain wrong here mucker. The overwhelming majority of mascosts have some sort of connection with a club - it's history, its name, its colours, its crest, its location etc. Because that's the whole idea about a mascot - it should have some sort of meaning.

To prove the point, let's look at the examples you gave of ones you thought had no connection :

Reading have a lion : Their nickname is 'The Royals', and the lion is the king of the jungle. Hence that choice.

Leeds have a Tiger : That's 'Kop Kat' : a play on words between the Kop part of their stadium, and the old cartoon character 'Top Cat' (please)
    Please

Aston villa have a lion and cat : Have you ever seen Villa's crest...?

Preston have a duck : 'Deepdale Duck'. Deepdale is their stadium : 'Me duck' is a term of endearment in Lancashire . A bit like City's mascot being called 'R Mucker'.

You may choose to argue that some of the above are tenuous - but they have some sort of reference back to their clubs none-the-less.

Indeed......
    No more than Fingal freddie in fairness. Is he any more tenuous than what is mentioned above. (really)
    The original point still stands, the mascot does not have to have a direct connection with the club dont ya think. Please lets leave it there
    Last edited by Lamper.sffc; 27/03/2009 at 12:53 AM. Reason: its late

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Imagine ... if that school girl only new what debate her design would cause among adults
    "oh my, that was some beer we had last night, I think I feel like getting sick" Effin Eddie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast