Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Match Programmes

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bray Head View Post
    Thought the UCD one was decent enough with plenty of colour photos.
    I'm always amazed how many people thinlks lots of colour photos equates to a good programme.

Dundalk's is excellent this year (it's been very good the last couple of years, but has improved this year). The bit on match preparation and the flashback to whatever year were very well done. Rovers' is good too, if pricey. I've stopped buying other clubs' programmes cos I got tired of paying E3 for a booklet of ads, some random match pictures and a welcome from the chairman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Drogheda's programme is a decent one at €2.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Longfords programme was a disgrace. 4/5 pages of info the rest ads, Cover had the club name (in this case Waterford United) on a label and stuck on same for the date, The squad list had 2/3 players from last years squad that are not in this years squad and was missing 1 or 2 from this years squad. Hugely overpriced at €3 for it's content.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I'm always amazed how many people thinlks lots of colour photos equates to a good programme.
    I'm constantly astounded how you don't grasp that shiny glossy thigns are better that photocopied black & white efforts. Content is fine, but presentation is important, particularly when everyone isn't as geeky as us
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts

Cover from the UCD game in April.(Just to give a general idea of it)
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I'm constantly astounded how you don't grasp that shiny glossy thigns are better that photocopied black & white efforts. Content is fine, but presentation is important, particularly when everyone isn't as geeky as us
    I do grasp it; I'd have loved our programme to be at least B&W glossy, but it'd have made a loss, which we couldn't afford (now having anything to cover the kloss with).

But I don't apologise for saying plenty of pictures doesn't make a good programme. It's like some people find reading too much effort, but nice pictures are ok.

(And I'll also refer to your recent post to Ezeikal about using non-sequiturs purely to have a dig)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 06/06/2010 at 8:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Programme for Harps home games now available online 24 hrs before kickoff! programme@finnharps.com. Another first for the league?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

(And I'll also refer to your recent post to Ezeikal about using non-sequiturs purely to have a dig)
    It wasn't about him having a dig, it was about him avoiding the criticism (which he answered later in fairness). Simply put, some people want different things from their programme and its nothing to do with finding "reading too much effort"
    ---

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Glenville's prog for today's game with Bohs was better than many League ones i've seen this year. Lots of info on the club and players as well as the ads which were to be expected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Produced by the Star apparently
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enruoblehs View Post
    No programme for the Dublin Bus v Shelbourne game last night.

Is this a first for an FAI Cup 3rd Round game?
    far from it! Nothing for Cherry Orchard v Mons last season, but thats the tip of the iceberg. Still, in this day and age you'd think someone at Dublin Bus knows someone with a PC and printer who could print out an 8 page programme and sell it for 3 quid a go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    It wasn't about him having a dig, it was about him avoiding the criticism (which he answered later in fairness). Simply put, some people want different things from their programme and its nothing to do with finding "reading too much effort"
    You mayn't have meant it, but your post came across as "Yeah, well you think this, so what do you know", which very much came across as a dig for a dig's sake.

Obviously different people are interestewd in different things, but I'm curious as to the why's of that rather than the fact itself.

Just to clarify muy post - in a recent UCD programme, there was a full-page colour photo of Greg Bolger in an Ireland jersey cos he was in the U23 squad. It was captioned something like "Greg Bolger, who was involved in the recent U23 international against England. Well done!", or some such.

That to me is a complete waste of a page. You look at it, go "oh" and move on within five seconds. Had the same photo been used in an article about Bolger - maybe an interview asking what it was like to play against the national side and such like - it'd have been excellent. But on its own, it added very little. And I'm curious to know what others see in pieces like that.

(And I'm picking on our programme purely for ease of reference obviously)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 07/06/2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Exact opposite of what Enruoblehs was asking...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    So extrapolating your logic, you’d prefer no pictures at all, and just text? No, you’d like some pictures, and some text (as you say about the Bolger pic) as clearly pictures add some value.

Now imagine you’re a 13 year old kid, who’s da buys a programme. You don’t want to read about about injuries, you want to see the nice picture of Greg Bolger representing his country. Thats the sort of thing that will make him want to come back and see UCD again (or at least it will do more than a pictureless article). In the original post, the guy asked about posters. Itsdefinitely important to some.

Pictures and, more importantly, presentation are vital if clubs want to project themselves well to people who attend the games. Anyone who buys Dundalk’s programme can’t help but think they’re a professional well run club. If I was a sponsor I’d be delighted to see my ad in such a publication
    ---

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by **FrOsTy** View Post
    Longfords programme was a disgrace. 4/5 pages of info the rest ads, Cover had the club name (in this case Waterford United) on a label and stuck on same for the date, The squad list had 2/3 players from last years squad that are not in this years squad and was missing 1 or 2 from this years squad. Hugely overpriced at €3 for it's content.
    what players were mentioned frosty that arent in this year's panel? to be honest if noone is going to our games no wonder we are making cutbacks to our program this year.. I remember one or two occasions when I went down to the RSC a few years back and there wasnt a match program produced for our game because the printer had gone on "summer holidays". You would think they would have found ways around it. At least we are producing one. Four years ago towards the end of the season we actually stopped producing home programs for the last two months because of the high costs in producing a program...
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enruoblehs View Post
    No programme for the Dublin Bus v Shelbourne game last night.

Is this a first for an FAI Cup 3rd Round game?
    Nothing produced by Shelbourne for their FAI Cup game with Harps in 2004 - at the time, Shels were the League Champions but their excuse for not producing a programme was because the game was on a Saturday night in Tolka and that they had more important things to be worrying about (they were playing a Champions League game the following Wednesday). Not the first, or indeed the last time, that Shels didn't produce a programme for a Cup and/or league game.
    Up the Harps!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    So extrapolating your logic, you'd prefer no pictures at all, and just text?
    Strawman anyone? Perhaps extrapolating your logic, you'd buy Woman's Way rather than The Irish Times.

Of course having a nice looking programme with glossy paper and nice pictures is better than not having those but lots of programmes in the league have nice glossy paper, a couple of photos, loads of ads and 2 or 3 pages to read. To me charging €3 for something that I'd be finished with in 5 minutes is a rip off.

I wasn't down in Dundalk this year but their proogramme when we were there in the cup a few years ago was great, a good mix of nice presentation and articles that were worth reading. Cork managed the same a few years back too. Why does a nice looking programme require that there's nothing to read in it?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Colour is incredibly expensive.

For example, if Galway United were to have a full-colour 32 page programme, it would incur a substantial loss and would still lose money if it were sold €2 dearer at @ €5 each.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    what players were mentioned frosty that arent in this year's panel? to be honest if noone is going to our games no wonder we are making cutbacks to our program this year.. I remember one or two occasions when I went down to the RSC a few years back and there wasnt a match program produced for our game because the printer had gone on "summer holidays". You would think they would have found ways around it. At least we are producing one. Four years ago towards the end of the season we actually stopped producing home programs for the last two months because of the high costs in producing a program...
    Joe Mulcahy and Declan Woodgate are the two that I can remember from last years squad that are in it. Don't have a programme to reference just going on reading one on friday. And Josh Byrne our 3rd choice keeper doesn't feature in it.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    Strawman anyone? Perhaps extrapolating your logic, you'd buy Woman's Way rather than The Irish Times.
    A lot of people do. it isn't about what I'd do, its about trying to explain something it pineapple that he said he couldn't understand. To some people, presentation means more than content. Just like the way some people prefer Women's way to the IT

Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    Why does a nice looking programme require that there's nothing to read in it?
    I don't think anyone claimed that (and apologies if my posts implied similar)

Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan
    Colour is incredibly expensive.
    Of course it is, but its what everybody would like to do. My own club made the decision to go from full colour to partial colour for budgetary reasons. NO shame in that in this league
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    As far as I know, it wasn't a requirement then, is it now?

Re the Harps Cup game 24 July 2004, the schedule of games around that game was amazing, if you take into account travel to and from the away games.

July 14 Away to KR Reykjavic
    July 18 Home to Drogheda
    July 21 Home to KR Reykjavic
    July 24 Home to Harps in Cup
    July 28 Away to Hajduk Split

Oh to have those time problems again

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast