45 Posts

Limerick V Athlone

announced as 626

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomkerry View Post
    160 is a disgrace. A junior B team would get that. A team like UCD should never be let in to the premier division.
    fully agree. While i appreciate the candour and passion of the UCD fans on this messageboard, that amount of fans is shameful.

How UCD (footie club) cannot appeal to the students there in an effective way is beyond me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    fully agree. While i appreciate the candour and passion of the UCD fans on this messageboard, that amount of fans is shameful.

How UCD (footie club) cannot appeal to the students there in an effective way is beyond me.
    Beyond us too. I'm in the US at the moment, and people here are signficiantly more supportive of their university teams. Some horrible cultural difference has us hamstrung.

As for us not being allowed into the Premier, that's pathetic protectionism. If the other clubs can beat us on the pitch (preferably with a squad they can afford), then we'll be in the lower division(s). People talk about small ambitions in this league, but the idea of selecting clubs according to attendence would be met with derision in England.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Fingal V Wexford
    Attendance announced as 456
    Extratime.ie has attendance as 542

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Beyond us too. I'm in the US at the moment, and people here are signficiantly more supportive of their university teams. Some horrible cultural difference has us hamstrung.

As for us not being allowed into the Premier, that's pathetic protectionism. If the other clubs can beat us on the pitch (preferably with a squad they can afford), then we'll be in the lower division(s). People talk about small ambitions in this league, but the idea of selecting clubs according to attendence would be met with derision in England.
    absolutely agree with that John83 but some agressive marketing/advertising/promoting is badly needed in belfield. Have you looked into moving to Thursday nights for home games? I dont know if you have but, in my mind, that combined with some free passes to the SU or sports bar or free beers or a local nightclub or something might get more bodies through the stiles...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    absolutely agree with that John83 but some agressive marketing/advertising/promoting is badly needed in belfield. Have you looked into moving to Thursday nights for home games? I dont know if you have but, in my mind, that combined with some free passes to the SU or sports bar or free beers or a local nightclub or something might get more bodies through the stiles...
    Yeah, all of it. We've tried Thursday, Saturday, even Sunday afternoons. We're hampered further by the fact that the college has banned clubs and societies from advertising drinks promotions for the past few years. Believe me, we discussed all of this with our last CPO and with club officials before that. A lot of things have been tried. Feck all difference though. Not helped either by the fact that students are subjected to a saturation of advertising for events from every society you can think of.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    No attendance announced at Waterford Vs Shels game.

No idea how they would calculate one anyway.

I drove into the the carpark for which I was charged €30 euro - 2 persons in the car - asked for tickets but told there were none. Maybe 60 to 70 cars in the car park?

Some of our supporters who walked thru the turnstiles were charged either €10 or €15 per adult on an ad hoc basis - again no tickets issued.

No admission charges were on display either.

My own guesstimate attendance would be circa 800
    Last edited by Buile Shuibhne; 21/03/2009 at 12:18 AM. Reason: .
    A transient, horrible, fantastic dream,
    Wherein is nothing yet all things do seem:
    From which we're wakened by a friendly nudge
    Of our bedfellow Death, and cry: "O fudge!"

Ambrose Bierce

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Yawn on the usual BS about UCD.

160 was my rough count in the second half (with many leaving after seeing their offspring play at half time). Sh!t crowd, but we're not the only ones, blah blah blah. Oh, and we're top of the league with those sh!t crowds. Must be doing something right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Yeah, all of it. We've tried Thursday, Saturday, even Sunday afternoons. We're hampered further by the fact that the college has banned clubs and societies from advertising drinks promotions for the past few years. Believe me, we discussed all of this with our last CPO and with club officials before that. A lot of things have been tried. Feck all difference though. Not helped either by the fact that students are subjected to a saturation of advertising for events from every society you can think of.
    fair enough John83, thanks for the clarification.

Pineapple Stu, youre quick to point out the problems of every other club regarding finances etc so im surprised that youre not more gracious or accepting of people pointing out UCD's problems.

Like it or not, a crowd of 160 turning out to see you play, given the amount of bodies in Belfield and surrounding areas, is atrocious and a problem worth highlighting. But i get the impression from your post that as long as UCD are top of the league, youre happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    You did, I assume, see the bit where I repeatedly called it a sh!t crowd? I'll say it again, if you like. It was a sh!t crowd.

It's somewhat annoying that, when the figures are so low, people can't get within 50% of the figure.

Crowds have nothing to do with whether a club should be in the Premier, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    you did, i assume, see the bit where i agreed with John on that point? I'll say it again, if you like. Crowds should not deem whether a club should be in the Premier.

My problem was how you dismissed it saying that you were doing something right as you were top of the league. "Im alright Jack"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    We clearly are doing something right if we're top of the league. It's in fact a sad indictment of the rest of the league if they can't keep up with us, and I don't see why this point should be dismissed. Instead, it's focussed on more than it needs to be. Of course our crowds are sh!t. Of course we're constantly trying to improve them (having a CPO in the First Division when we don't need one, for example). But all clubs' crowds are sh!t. And it still irks me that people get our crowd figures so far wrong in percentage terms; it's almost like we're a stereotype of ourselves.

(And you're right; it was kingdom hoop who said we shouldn't be in the Premier; I mixed you two up somehow).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts

Pineapple Stu, youre quick to point out the problems of every other club regarding finances etc so im surprised that youre not more gracious or accepting of people pointing out UCD's problems.
    Well said IMO
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    We clearly are doing something right if we're top of the league. It's in fact a sad indictment of the rest of the league if they can't keep up with us, and I don't see why this point should be dismissed. Instead, it's focussed on more than it needs to be. Of course our crowds are sh!t. Of course we're constantly trying to improve them (having a CPO in the First Division when we don't need one, for example). But all clubs' crowds are sh!t. And it still irks me that people get our crowd figures so far wrong in percentage terms; it's almost like we're a stereotype of ourselves.

(And you're right; it was kingdom hoop who said we shouldn't be in the Premier; I mixed you two up somehow).
    Ah deja vu. Its seems like it wasnt too long ago that i was defending my club against similar accusation from you about our crowds. It seems Stu can dish it out but cant take it.

OH. Top of the league after 3 games. Come on man. Its nothing to brag about this early in the league.
    Last edited by Lamper.sffc; 21/03/2009 at 2:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Even though the point was taken? It's just not as big a point as many make out, and many exaggerate the crowds too.

(And on SkStu's original point, the issue of appealing to students has been covered many many times here before. It's a case of, when students start in UCD, they either (a) supporting Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, etc, (b) support St Pat's, Bohs, Cork, etc or (c) don't like football. So the college thing is, to a large extent, a false idol (or some better phrase someone else may think of).

(And for lamper, though I don't recall our debates off pat, I would imagine my issues with Fingal were over (a) over-estimation of potential crowds and (b) going full time on crowds of 500-600. I have frequently defended clubs with small crowds who live within their means)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Not offical yet, but directors said 260 more than Drogs game.

I estimate 3,350

Should be very close.

ps ...........3,462

official!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Candystripe; 21/03/2009 at 3:37 AM.
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    How did you get the official figure at half four in the morning?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    On the UCD thing: I agree to an extent that it's a lost cause trying to muster up more than a handful of students to go to games - culturally, football in general, never mind LoI football, is off the radar for a most of the student body out there - take a walk around and you'll see lots of rugby shirts and a smaller, but noticeable amount of GAA shirts, but you'll hardly see any of the Prem/Celtic/ Barca/ Milan shirts that you'd see on a walk down most Irish streets. More than any other university here, Belfield is largely fed by private schools - it must be a disconcertingly monocultural place to arrive in for undergrads coming from outside- And those schools play rugby.
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Kingdomkerry I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Under 100 at UCD is this fact? Poor enough crowd although i went to a game last year v Bray and Bray must have had over half the crowd in a crowd of less han 200.

Page 13 of 97 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast