Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Liverpool

What a mess. Looks like Rafa won the political p***ing match with Parry leaving. They put in a very good performance and get a better result on Wednesday but then they play like muppets yesterday.

There is something wrong there - maybe for Liverpool fans sake this is just what they need to get back on the right track (back ? when where they on it ?) but it is not right.

They have one world class player (FT) and one European class player (SG) (let's drop the pretense that SG is world class - he simply isn't - he is a good quality champions league semi final standard player). Then they have 2 or 3 decent players (Alonso, Mascherano, Skyrtel etc)

Apart from that their recruitment has been second rate - and it is not down to money - it is down to abysmal recruitment - Lucas, Benayoun, Ngog - sorry - second rate and they are all rafa signings

His recruitment is poor - his defenders say that he signed these because parry refused to let him have anybody else - pathetic.

They are clearly a top 4 side and a very formidable outfit in europe but it isn't right - there are clearly problems there and the dynamic is wrong - either rafa or gerrard need to leave for this to be made right

OK, had that moment - off sopbox and moving on with life
    DB Cooper is alive !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I could be wrong but the last player Liverpool produced from their famed youth academy to hold down a consisent place was either Carragher or Gerrard. Thats a major problem for them, they dont have the buying power Chelsea had to buy their league titles. Utd and Arsenal have consistently mixed academy players with buying players, in fact I think Arsenal have actually made a profit in terms of transfer dealings since Wenger has been in control.

The spanish waiter has made some terrible purchases, Andrei Voronin ? come on!
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    let's drop the pretense that SG is world class - he simply isn't - he is a good quality champions league semi final standard player
    I'm no fan of SG but you're very demanding - ah he's only a CL semi-finalist standard!

I think Alonso is a lovely player.

SG is a funny one. Of course he's a good player but he's not what many say he is. I think he's actually a very unconventional but very effective player. He's by no means a good midfielder in the classic sense but he does make in impact in games. It's hard - much as I'd like to - to deny his infuence on big club games.

He's possibly part of Liverpool's problem. He's not a concventional midfielder so Benitez picks a classic duo, Mascherano & Alonso usually. He was wasted out wide so he's played behind Torres, but at the expense of a second forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    He's possibly part of Liverpool's problem. He's not a concventional midfielder so Benitez picks a classic duo, Mascherano & Alonso usually. He was wasted out wide so he's played behind Torres, but at the expense of a second forward.
    Gerrard playing behind Torres would be ok, but the problems are still out wide. Riera, although an improvement on whoever was there before (I actually can't remember), is merely adequate. Kuyt is not a right winger. He pops up with the odd important goal, but compare him to Ronaldo, Walcott, Lennon etc, and he's just not at the races. Benayoun is just an uglier Luis Garcia, an incredibly frustrating player. Babel was (is?) a potentially very good attacker whose confidence has been destroyed by spending 2 years on the bench. He really should have gone to Arsenal when they were interested in him.

I could be wrong but the last player Liverpool produced from their famed youth academy to hold down a consisent place was either Carragher or Gerrard. Thats a major problem for them, they dont have the buying power Chelsea had to buy their league titles.
    The chapter in Carragher's book on their academy is very good. Decent local players like Warnock being sold and replaced by toss like Aurelio and Dossena? Gimme a break!

Again, the problem is that Benitez has consistently bought bargain-bin players who have not improved the team. He brings in half a dozen or so players a year, and the team stands still. Compare this to Man Utd in 2006. Out with Van Nistelrooy, in with Carrick, and they won the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liverpool have some great talent in their youth & reserve team but Benitez seems to have faith in youngsters from every other country. The only young player that Benitez brought in that seems to have worked for him is Insua. He's got a truely average team bar about 5-6 players. Dossena,Degen,Ngog,Lucas etc...
    Coleman for Ireland

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Rafa needs to go. To start with, he buys too many unconventional players. Just looking at the current team, he has too many square pegs trying to fit into round holes. Kuyt, Benayoun, etc.

He needs to stop his silly rotational system. The same 4-4-2 should be lining out for all 38 Premiership matches and all Champions League matches.

GK: Reina
    LB: Insua
    CB: Carragher
    CB: Skrtel
    RB: Arbeloa/Aurelio (major upgrade needed here)

LW: Riera
    CM: Gerrard
    CM: Alonso/Mascherano
    RW: ??? Aaron Lennon would do the job. Liverpool have the means to buy and pay a top class left winger like Messi or Ronaldo.

ST: Torres
    ST: Robbie Keane's name should be here! Kuyt for now.

Too much chopping and changing, too many players playing out of position week in and week out. There is no consistency.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    He's by no means a good midfielder in the classic sense but he does make in impact in games.
    Hello there Mr Giles!! very true though!!

reder
    Quote Originally Posted by sligofan4ever View Post
    Liverpool have some great talent in their youth & reserve team but Benitez seems to have faith in youngsters from every other country. The only young player that Benitez brought in that seems to have worked for him is Insua. He's got a truely average team bar about 5-6 players. Dossena,Degen,Ngog,Lucas etc...
    Rafa has no faith in the youth system in the club and he has systematically destroyed it over the past few years. No youngster in their right mind would touch the Liverpool academy at the moment because he has no chance whatsoever of breaking into the first team. Everton is the club to join in the North West if you are a young up and coming footballer.

His bahaviour this season as manager of a club with prides itself on conducting its business behind closed doors has been nothing short of disgraceful at times. On many occassions, he has put himself ahead of the club to settle his own scores, Stoke press conference for example. Any man with a single shred of dignity would have waited til the end of the season to discuss his contract. If he did his job and mounted a title challenge or actually won it, he could get anything he wanted in contract terms but he was more interested in using it as a football to settle political scores with the owners and Parry.

His signings and all the signings were his, not Rick Parry's, have been very poor. 69 players have come in and out of the club during his tenure and few have been of any quality. He lays the blame for the likes of Vidic etc not coming to the club with Parry but any player with a brain would go to Man U over Liverpool. Many Liverpool fans blame Parry for the likes of Alves not signing for Liverpool but the player categorically said that he doesnt want to play in England. Also, Rafa has told players not to sign new contracts until he has. Dirk Kuyt, a man who is as honest as the day is long and runs a charity in his spare time admited this.

With Parry gone, Liverpool have taken a step in the right direction towards repair but 4 more need to go to put the club on the right track. The 4 are David Moores, Gillett, Hicks and Rafa (big time). LFC are heading down a slipper slope the longer all 4 of these remain at the club.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reder View Post
    Rafa has no faith in the youth system in the club and he has systematically destroyed it over the past few years. No youngster in their right mind would touch the Liverpool academy at the moment because he has no chance whatsoever of breaking into the first team. Everton is the club to join in the North West if you are a young up and coming footballer.

His bahaviour this season as manager of a club with prides itself on conducting its business behind closed doors has been nothing short of disgraceful at times. On many occassions, he has put himself ahead of the club to settle his own scores, Stoke press conference for example. Any man with a single shred of dignity would have waited til the end of the season to discuss his contract. If he did his job and mounted a title challenge or actually won it, he could get anything he wanted in contract terms but he was more interested in using it as a football to settle political scores with the owners and Parry.

His signings and all the signings were his, not Rick Parry's, have been very poor. 69 players have come in and out of the club during his tenure and few have been of any quality. He lays the blame for the likes of Vidic etc not coming to the club with Parry but any player with a brain would go to Man U over Liverpool. Many Liverpool fans blame Parry for the likes of Alves not signing for Liverpool but the player categorically said that he doesnt want to play in England. Also, Rafa has told players not to sign new contracts until he has. Dirk Kuyt, a man who is as honest as the day is long and runs a charity in his spare time admited this.

With Parry gone, Liverpool have taken a step in the right direction towards repair but 4 more need to go to put the club on the right track. The 4 are David Moores, Gillett, Hicks and Rafa (big time). LFC are heading down a slipper slope the longer all 4 of these remain at the club.
    I believe you have described the position at LFC very accurately.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As a lifelong red I feel I have to add to this thread. My feelings are simply, Rafa has to go. He is far too arrogant and hard headed to accept that he is very often wrong.
    Madrid was a brilliant example of what he does so well, whilst Saturday showed he will never, ever win the Premier League. His decisions were shocking and I personally hope this is his last season at Anfield. He'll always be the man who delivered us our fifth European Crown, but it's going to take a change to break Fergusons grip on the League.

Rafa out..

My 11 every Prem game(where possible of course)
    1:Reina
    2:Carragher(yes I'd have him right back)
    3:Insua(Easily the best of the three)
    4:Agger(Benitez is blind to his talent)
    5:Skrtel(Solid next to Agger)
    6:Mascherano
    7:Benayoun(Not a winger but skillful and dangerous runner)
    8:Alonso(Our best player full stop)
    9:Torres
    10:Gerrard(In the Platini Role)
    11:Riera

Subs: Cavilieri, Arbeloa, Aurelio, Hyppia, Babel, New Midfielder, New Striker..

Sell: Dossena, Kuyt, Ngog, Lucas(All to Bolton)
    Last edited by Pike B; 02/03/2009 at 7:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike B View Post
    As a lifelong red I feel I have to add to this thread. My feelings are simply, Rafa has to go. He is far too arrogant and hard headed to accept that he is very often wrong.
    Madrid was a brilliant example of what he does so well, whilst Saturday showed he will never, ever win the Premier League. His decisions were shocking and I personally hope this is his last season at Anfield. He'll always be the man who delivered us our fifth European Crown, but it's going to take a change to break Fergusons grip on the League.

Rafa out..

My 11 every Prem game(where possible of course)
    1:Reina
    2:Carragher(yes I'd have him right back)
    3:Insua(Easily the best of the three)
    4:Agger(Benitez is blind to his talent)
    5:Skrtel(Solid next to Agger)
    6:Mascherano
    7:Benayoun(Not a winger but skillful and dangerous runner)
    8:Alonso(Our best player full stop)
    9:Torres
    10:Gerrard(In the Platini Role)
    11:Riera

Subs: Cavilieri, Arbeloa, Aurelio, Hyppia, Babel, New Midfielder, New Striker..

Sell: Dossena, Kuyt, Ngog, Lucas(All to Bolton)
    Sell: Dossena, Kuyt, Ngog, Lucas(All to Bolton)... even bolton would not sign these 4

" football is a simple game "

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads looking at liverpool you have to agree that they are just not good enough,Gerrard is over rated, Torres, alonso both are class acts,carragher needs replacing fast.He's a brilliant defender but just hasnt the legs anymore, Get rid of Benitez and I think mourinho would be very interested in taking the job, who would you have mourinho or Jose???

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Would rafa have o shea,gibson, or evans?? he would not look twice at them yet look at o shea all he has won and look at the player fergie turned him into.

reder
    Quote Originally Posted by manuman View Post
    Get rid of Benitez and I think mourinho would be very interested in taking the job, who would you have mourinho or Jose???
    If LFC ever want to seriously challenge for the title, they need JM in charge. Hiddink is probably the only other manager good enough to challenge Sir Alex but he is with Chelsea and will probably stay there for a while yet. With Hiddink in charge I can see Chelsea challenging United next season. If Rafa stays I can see LFC slipping out of the CL places with United, Chelsea, Villa (stronger than this season) and Arsenal finishing ahead. Man City will always kick into action next season I think and push for Europe. They are only 1 or 2 players off being a very good side.

Quote Originally Posted by manuman View Post
    Would rafa have o shea,gibson, or evans?? he would not look twice at them yet look at o shea all he has won and look at the player fergie turned him into.
    No Rafa doesnt bother with academy players. He would rather waste a few million of some continental muck and blame it on the owners or Parry. O' Shea is a fantastic utility player and you need players like him if you are gonna win the league. He can slot in RB, LB, CB or even midfield and do a solid job. Evans has come on leaps and bounds this year and looks a class act. He will figure more and more as the seasons move on for united. Gibson is being groomed by united for when the likes of scholes moves on.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reder View Post
    If LFC ever want to seriously challenge for the title, they need JM in charge.
    You talk about Rafa washing the club's dirty linen in public and then you say that Mourinho needs to be in charge? Mourinho is one of the worst managers at public outbursts. He'd hardly keep quiet. He may help Liverpool challenge for the title, but firstly I doubt he would come. He's always been at a club that is close to, or the best, club in the country and been able to supplement that with expensive recruits. Liverpool are completely broke, so what makes you think he'd be a success?

Quite simply, Rafa should have at least one transfer window without the incompetence of Rick Parry at the club to see what he can do. The amount of targets that have been lost partly at a result of Parry is ridiculous: Vidic, Simao, Dani Alves, etc. There's plenty more. In fact, you can probably even count Ronaldo on that list too (though he was before Rafa's time).

The club is a mess off the field and no manager would be able to come in and magically guarantee the club a title. Liverpool are steadily getting better under Benitez and time is the only cure for Liverpool's current woes.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    Liverpool are steadily getting better under Benitez and time is the only cure for Liverpool's current woes.
    04/05 5th in PL and Champions League winners

05/06 3rd in PL and FA Cup winners

06/07 3rd in PL and trophyless

07/08 4th in PL and trophyless

Probably looking at 3rd in PL this season I'd imagine and Champions League who knows? Not sure if they actually are steadily improving but they are definitely more difficult to beat than ever. However they are probably easier than ever to get a draw against!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyLegal View Post
    04/05 5th in PL and Champions League winners

05/06 3rd in PL and FA Cup winners

06/07 3rd in PL and trophyless

07/08 4th in PL and trophyless

Probably looking at 3rd in PL this season I'd imagine and Champions League who knows? Not sure if they actually are steadily improving but they are definitely more difficult to beat than ever. However they are probably easier than ever to get a draw against!!
    Well, Rafa has got quite a similar points total to what Wenger did when he first arrived at Arsenal, yet he won the league in 97/98. The difference is though, that the title is far harder to win now. The average points it takes to win the English league over the last 5 seasons is 90.4. That's a massive total. The timing of Rafa's arrival in England certainly hasn't helped him.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    You talk about Rafa washing the club's dirty linen in public and then you say that Mourinho needs to be in charge? Mourinho is one of the worst managers at public outbursts. He'd hardly keep quiet. He may help Liverpool challenge for the title, but firstly I doubt he would come. He's always been at a club that is close to, or the best, club in the country and been able to supplement that with expensive recruits. Liverpool are completely broke, so what makes you think he'd be a success?.
    Well Chelsea werent exactly running United to wire when Mourinho took over? He turned turned them into champions not Ranieri not Abramovich not that baldy headed t****r Kenyon? Nor was it John Terry for that matter. He gave them the belief. I don't think the Liverpool players feel the kind of team spirit Mourinho generated at Chelsea. Benitez is a dry nasty bitter man. He lost the plot not the players.

Quite simply, Rafa should have at least one transfer window without the incompetence of Rick Parry at the club to see what he can do. The amount of targets that have been lost partly at a result of Parry is ridiculous: Vidic, Simao, Dani Alves, etc. There's plenty more. In fact, you can probably even count Ronaldo on that list too (though he was before Rafa's time).?.
    Sure he could have taken Vidic but wouldn't have bothered giving him the time he needed to settle before lobbing him in there and destroying his confidence. United or Liverpool tough decision really. Grand you could have taken Simao but he has been a disaster at every big club he went to he was booted out of Barcelona.
    Alves said he had no intention of playing in England. Again Liverpool or Barcelona? tough one again?
    You can't count Ronaldo United have a agreement with Sporting regarding young players he was always destined for United.

The club is a mess off the field and no manager would be able to come in and magically guarantee the club a title. Liverpool are steadily getting better under Benitez and time is the only cure for Liverpool's current woes.
    How long has Benitez been in charge is obious he is a ignorant man. He lobbed Robbie Keane out the door without even blinking to make his point to Rick Parry. Had a huge arguement with Paco Ayesteran who walked away who was one of his best alloys. He sacked Steve Heighway who was after winning back to back FA youth cups because he sadi he could do a better job himself?
    He wont play his best defender Daniel Agger because he said he would move if he didn't get his money.
    Then he tells Kuyt not to sign a new contract until he does?
    He wants to walk away and on Wednesday last he confirmed he will be the new boss at Real.
    "Joe Jordan is off to watch Young Boys tomorrow" Ian Darke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Liverpool are a good cup side. Draw away from home in Europe and it's a good result. Draw in the League and you've just dropped two points to a team like Man Utd that can win 10 games on the bounce no bother. 1 world class player and a few very good players does not win you a League title. Two new full backs, two wingers and a couple more strikers would the route I'd take if I was a Liverpool Manager from next season. Loving how the Hansen's, Gray's and broadsheet writers have all changed their tune now since Liverpool went into freefall......especially after hyping the Scousers around Christmas time about how it was going to be their year Any sane pundit should realise by now that you do not write off Manchester United. I must say that if Hiddink had the Chelsea job at the start of August and had a fit Essien then the title race would be going down to the wire again.....thankfully he didn't.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Well Chelsea werent exactly running United to wire when Mourinho took over? He turned turned them into champions not Ranieri not Abramovich not that baldy headed t****r Kenyon? Nor was it John Terry for that matter. He gave them the believe. I don't think the Liverpool players feel the kind of team spirit Mourinho generated at Chelsea. Benitez is a dry nasty bitter man. He lost the plot not the players.
    Chelsea finished on 80 points before Jose arrived. That's hardly a poor total. They were on an upward curve at the time, but there's no doubt that Mourinho did an excellent job with them in the league. However, he had an immense amount of money to spend. As I said, he's never had to work with a club that isn't close to being champions, and a limited budget and deliver them the title. Chelsea were getting closer under Ranieri and it's not as though they were a mess when he arrived.

Anyway, how exactly has Benitez "lost the plot"? If you're referring to his rant, it was clearly a calculated move, and wasn't him losing the plot.

Sure he could have taken Vidic but wouldn't have bothered giving him the time he needed to settle before lobbing him in there and destroying his confidence. United or Liverpool tough decision really. Grand you could have taken Simao but he has been a disaster at every big club he went to he was booted out of Barcelona.
    Alves said he had no intention of playing in England. Again Liverpool or Barcelona? tough one again?
    You can't count Ronaldo United have a agreement with Sporting regarding young players he was always destined for United.
    Liverpool came in long before United did with Vidic. Vidic himself said that he was very close to moving to Liverpool, but Liverpool took ages to sort everything out, by which time United came in. Had Liverpool been quicker, he would have been at Anfield. He also, most likely, would have been given the time to come good. Lucas, Babel and Dossena are all players who have had time to prove themselves.

Alves went to Barcelona last summer, long after Liverpool were interested. The deal was almost complete, but again it broke down due to incompetence. Alves was ready to move to Liverpool.

Ronaldo could have signed for Liverpool. Both Liverpool and Arsenal had the opportunity to sign him a few months before United came in. Wenger turned down the chance, citing him as too expensive, whereas Liverpool were interested only, once again, for them to take far too long to complete the deal. Then United came in.

How long has Benitez been in charge is obious he is a ignorant man. He lobbed Robbie Keane out the door without even blinking to make his point to Rick Parry. Had a huge arguement with Paco Ayesteran who walked away who was one of his best alloys. He sacked Steve Heighway who was after winning back to back FA youth cups because he sadi he could do a better job himself?
    He wont play his best defender Daniel Agger because he said he would move if he didn't get his money.
    Then he tells Kuyt not to sign a new contract until he does?
    He wants to walk away and on Wednesday last he confirmed he will be the new boss at Real.
    All of that is mindless conjecture. You have very little facts to go on. Nobody knows exactly why Ayestaran left. Agger is currently injured, and has been for quite a bit this season. I've never heard anything about him telling Kuyt not to sign a new contract.

As for the last sentence, do you have a source for that? I haven't heard anything about that whatsoever. As far as I can recall, the bookmakers stopped taking bets on Benitez leaving, and Rafa had to deny that he was and said he didn't know why the story that he was came about.

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast