Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those were the days....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

Thumbs up Those were the days....

Right so I've been thinking of doing this for a while!

Any memories anyone would like to share with us about LTFC?

Maybe it was the first game you went too, funniest moment, happiest, saddest, best in Section O, old photos, basically anything would be cool!

Don't be shy now people this could make for a good thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Pats in the league cup in richmond park in 1998.. Pats fans chantin sheep sh***ers to which pascal got up on his own and chanted back 'our sheep eat your grass'.. Its always stuck in my mind brilliant moment.. For the record we lost the game on penos

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    one of my first memories as a town fan is leavin my bike in the garda station in the good old innocent days for the guards to look after the bikes and myself and my mates then walked down from Dublin St down to Abbeycartron the year was 1990..Another contributor on this forum who will remain nameless did the exact same thing too..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    bennie o,brien askin me to count how many people were at the match in mullolagher when i was around 7 or 8 and count something around 35 or 40...this was around 1996...also one of the big dublin teams comin down years and years ago singing about how they feel there goin skiing on the big grass slope!!it was a cup match!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howsyourtouch View Post
    bennie o,brien askin me to count how many people were at the match in mullolagher when i was around 7 or 8 and count something around 35 or 40...this was around 1996...also one of the big dublin teams comin down years and years ago singing about how they feel there goin skiing on the big grass slope!!it was a cup match!
    wonder was that shelbourne?? we played them in the fai cup in 1991..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    surely The Wex scoring against us in the 2007 season at The Showgies must stand up in the top 5?? He knew exactly where the goal was that night! I think the SRIWFC have a few pleasant memories of our trips down there, only the past 2/3 seasons though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Some great moments against Pats. The 'we f*cked up your traffic' chant the day of the farmers' strike in Dublin. And against Shels, I wasnt there mind, Richie Baker got such an awful doing from the Section O, he had to switch wings. Great days and I do miss them.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Pauro do you remember the 7 man army in Vaduz

Two main for me are the walk from Vaduz town centre to the ground. The whole town came out to look at these mad Irish men and women being led by pipers to the game.....

Also beating bohs and winning the league cup in our own ground. Proud proud night and have to abandon the car half way into town and run the rest of the way to the ground fcuked me up completely.
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    one of my first memories as a town fan is leavin my bike in the garda station in the good old innocent days for the guards to look after the bikes and myself and my mates then walked down from Dublin St down to Abbeycartron the year was 1990..Another contributor on this forum who will remain nameless did the exact same thing too..
    In the 1989-1990 season UCD first League game was against Longford. I remember the small stand in Abbeycatron that had and ex-cinema seats in it. Also Conor Timmons playing his first League game scoring with a diving header a foot off the ground, in amongst the feet of the Longford defenders. One other UCD player scored on his League debut that day either Ciaran Kavanagh or Packie Lynch. All three ended up legends for UCD.
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    One of my favourite moments was when there was a message from Adrian Duncan, ex chairman stating that people who got on our team's backs will be dealt with. 'You have been warmed.' was the mispelt final line... Section O? 'Weve been warmed! Weve been warmed! Weve been warmed!'

Many of the classic chants always bring back great memories for the likes of Notaro, Digger, Eric, Macker, Gartland....
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauro 76 View Post
    One of my favourite moments was when there was a message from Adrian Duncan, ex chairman stating that people who got on our team's backs will be dealt with. 'You have been warmed.' was the mispelt final line... Section O? 'Weve been warmed! Weve been warmed! Weve been warmed!'

Many of the classic chants always bring back great memories for the likes of Notaro, Digger, Eric, Macker, Gartland....
    forgot that about adrian duncan priceless. what about the night in cobh??pauro 7 invading the pitch and joining in the squad in singin " goodbye to division one!".. the early days are the best in my opinion.. the pats cup match was a brilliant atmosphere along with the cup semi against waterford in 2001..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    I remember the Pats match in Flancare two years back.. All the St Pats fans ended up beside Section O... cue much abuse back and forth with a few little scummers from pats throwing over bottles etc. They go one nil up... It was like Custers last stand. Then that judas Paisley goes and gives away a Penalty which Mooney scored. We ended up winning 3-1 they soon shut up then...
    Roddy Collins, the biggest <insert as appropiate> in Irish Football.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Was that game not 2-1 to us rather than 3-1?. Anyhow, Pats have provided a lot of good memories for us over the years but I'll always particularly remember the time we beat them in the FAI Cup in 2001 after a replay in Richmond. Foot and Mouth had meant an enforced break of a month or so and that was the first game back. Keith O'Connor got the winner and we had to endure about ten minutes injury time. The players and staff celebrated as though we'd won the cup itself, doing dives in front of the fans etc and there was a good couple of hundred Town fans going mental as well. Fun times. Then there was the 2003 Final..
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieB View Post
    I remember the Pats match in Flancare two years back.. All the St Pats fans ended up beside Section O... cue much abuse back and forth with a few little scummers from pats throwing over bottles etc. They go one nil up... It was like Custers last stand. Then that judas Paisley goes and gives away a Penalty which Mooney scored. We ended up winning 3-1 they soon shut up then...
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    forgot that about adrian duncan priceless. what about the night in cobh??pauro 7 invading the pitch and joining in the squad in singin " goodbye to division one!".. the early days are the best in my opinion.. the pats cup match was a brilliant atmosphere along with the cup semi against waterford in 2001..
    Ahhhh great days... most of our finest moments have been against Pat's weirdly enough.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I remember we beat Derry City 5-1 in Abbeycartron in 1985. They brought hundreds with them & some people watched the game sitting on top of the stand if i remember. Also the ball got burst during the game too.
    All the Cup Finals & of course anytime we have beaten Cork, thats just a personal one though. For those of you who know me will know why.
    I also remember leaving my bike into the Guards also to head to Abbeycartron.
    Vaduz walk was also classic, amazing scenery & a few hundred Longfordians living one of lifes little dreams.
    I just sit down at the typewriter & start hittin the keys, just hittin the keys. Getting them in the right order though thats the trick, thats the trick.

Garth Merenghi

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Have to agree with Longfordian on the Pats cup game, wonderful game and then the injury time going on forever .....................

Of course the Cup final wins will always stand out.

Who can forget the playoff with Harps .............. Its still great watching the DVD and seeing me first on the pitch and then not knowing what to do LOL

More recent game I remember well was Rovers in Tolka in the league where we had 2 goals disallowed, everyone going ape**** and then Mooney scoring a last minute winner and we thought the great escape was on from relegation.

I suppose some of the best memories are just having a pint with people you would not have normally met and becoming friends with them and having the craic at games. Indeed a very drunk Pauro in Bray springs to mind " Hey Pauro leave those kids alone" !!!

On a related point and touchy point for many who could not go, the game in Bulgaria against Lovech when Henry Kenny should have scored in the last 5 minutes
    Last edited by ltfc_2004; 02/03/2009 at 9:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Ah yes the play-off, what a night !!!! Playing 5 a-side with a coke bottle with vinny perth at 1 am and making new friends at the chippers They know who they are !!!
    The cup semi in Waterford - The hardship of organising the bus (but well worth it), Shamie in the photos and Marty getting annoyed at us throwing paper at him !
    Getting soaked at the first cup final but still having a great time even though we lost and of course the other big cup days were great but for there own reasons !!!
    De groot nummer 10

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The cup finals were always special but here is one a little left field.

Stuart Holts bolt against St. Pat's in the final game of some season... Lawlors season....
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    'Let's all do the Holty!'

Who were the new friends at the chipper Massop?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    The Cup Finals obviously, especially the first win against Pats. Actually, the middle two not just because of results, but arguably section O at it's height.

"Get out if you're drinking that" as we were getting booted out of the annaly by Reynolds for drinking Buckfast after the first cup win.

I forget the year, but the trip to Derry on Turtle Travel that got back to Longford after 5, after a stop in Donegal Town. A mad trip.

Niall Byrne's goal in Cork in the Cup. Holty's goal to keep us up (and Pats hitting the post).

The promotion season, spent in a druken haze in the small stand that ran the length of the pitch (when the Buckfast Army actually went to games).

Seamie on the pitch in Waterford, and then the two page spread in the mirror (?) that followed. Pina Colada's at 10am the same match!

I'm sure there'd be more on the pitch stuff if I really thought about it, but to be honest it's the off the pitch stuff that seperates going to watch live football rather than watching it on tele. You can't get the off the pitch memories watching sky sports...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast