Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dermot Keely tells it like it is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Keelys right to speak up about the situation. I dont like the idea of constantly critisising the league but in this case somebody had to challenge the FAI over the licencing. I think some people on here are just critising Keely for this becasue they dont like him, not because they think he was wrong to do it. Although if the FAI do end up fining him over the issue, i hope they at least try to defend themselves, rather than sayting nothing and fining him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GalwayRed View Post
    I think some people on here are just critising Keely for this becasue they dont like him, not because they think he was wrong to do it.
    What's your point??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Unfortunately this thread has gone particularly to form. Ignore the issue, rate/slate the issue raiser.

For my money, the man has more hands on experience than 99% of the others involved in the game. And I agree with him. But that is probably just going to form...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelsfan1 View Post
    look at it from the view of an outsider.if you didn't know the league and someone explained to you what has happened ya'd laugh, ya'd think it was a joke. and quite frankly that is what the league is at the moment
    So you're saying we shouldn't be telling them about the mess its in? So you agree with the FAI and not Keely?

Good man
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    So you're saying we shouldn't be telling them about the mess its in? So you agree with the FAI and not Keely?

Good man
    No what shelsfan1 is saying is that these problems should be highlighted to the FAI and not ignored, because if these problems arent sorted, outsiders will see the league as a joke and ignore it.
    Of course highlighting the problems is far easier than fixing them but that dosent mean these problems should be ignored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Cow View Post
    Keeley is 100 percent right....if we had men of his stature making decisions it would be a much better League and the brushing under the carpet would be stopped....indeed the dirty rotten carpet would be thrown in the bin!!.......would be interesting to see the amount of big clubs scarper as far as they could when that happens!!
    I think you meant to say "would be interesting to see the amount of so-called big clubs" ...

Keely is spot on!

Drogs, Cork and Galway shoud be playing in div1 this year.

bhs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    ask yourself is he wrong?? no these are facts. these are problems that are in the league and ones we would all like to see out of the league. But the way to solve the problem is not to ignore it, it is to high light it and find out why it has happened and see why the punishments aren't correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalwayRed View Post
    No what shelsfan1 is saying is that these problems should be highlighted to the FAI and not ignored, because if these problems arent sorted, outsiders will see the league as a joke and ignore it. Of course highlighting the problems is far easier than fixing them but that dosent mean these problems should be ignored.
    You are both saying that there are problems and that the league needs to face up to it. I agree and it should be done through the proper channels and Keely never does this, or at least we never see him doing so.

Why does he need to highlight it, we all already know of the many many problems. If he raised it and dealt with it properly he might even see results. His old method does nothing for the league except damage it.

look at it from the view of an outsider.if you didn't know the league and someone explained to you what has happened ya'd laugh, ya'd think it was a joke. and quite frankly that is what the league is at the moment
    What are you saying? What?

Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Drogs, Cork and Galway shoud be playing in div1 this year.
    I agree and so do the FAI, hence the change in licensing now (afaik its this year) so that if clubs do go into examinership they will be penalised accordingly. Does anyone have the full details on this? This is the licensing and proper debate and discussion on the issue working and now it will be amended to avoid it happening again. It was a 'learn by your mistakes' change, so what. Will Keely harping on about it be any more effective than actually implementing the measure ..... NO, no it wont ..... ever. The guy is a whinger and loves the sound of his own voice.
    Last edited by A face; 28/02/2009 at 12:21 PM.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Why does he need to highlight it, we all already know of the many many problems. If he raised it and dealt with it properly he might even see results. His old method does nothing for the league except damage it
    what is the proper procedure then?? if dermo writes a nice letter to the fai highlighting a problem they can ignore him and try to move on. in the way he has done through interviews and his column, the fai cannot ignore him.they can say he's completely wrong, fine him and try and move on. but in doing so they must give reasons for there actions. whether you like the man or not, or you don't agree with him, the one thing this league and the licencing process needs is transparency. if these interviews force the fai into giving reasons why clubs weren't correctly punished we will then finally have precidents, example of what can and can't be done by clubs. we will hopefully then be on a level playing field and the league will be able to move forward

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    what is the proper procedure then?? if dermo writes a nice letter to the fai highlighting a problem they can ignore him and try to move on. in the way he has done through interviews and his column, the fai cannot ignore him.they can say he's completely wrong, fine him and try and move on. but in doing so they must give reasons for there actions. whether you like the man or not, or you don't agree with him, he one thing this league and the licencing process needs is transparency, if these interviews force the fai into giving reasons why clubs weren't correctly punished we will then finally have precidents, example of what can and can't be done by clubs. we will hopefully then be on a level playing field and the league will be able to move forward
    The issues that are being raised will not be improved over night. They wil need discussion and input over a prolonged period of time.

Keely and his crew can go to the media and give out about issues that wont be changed over night and he will be right. Fair play to him, he is right and everyone else is wrong. Thats excellent for him and i'm sure we are all happy for him. Now, there is the little matter of the outstanding problem.

Keely, in particular, always seems to go down this short term 'i am right, they are wrong' avenue. Its tiresome and futile, it will never get us any where. I dont think the FAI are ignoring him or anyone when it comes to matters about improving the league.

If Keely chooses not to subscribe to system to improve the league then how can the FAI be to blame for that. The PR of the league is under the remit of the FAI and they should fine Keely for his continued gripes against the league.

If it were any one else i'd probably favour their argument/opinion/stance a bit more.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The issues that are being raised will not be improved over night. They wil need discussion and input over a prolonged period of time.

Keely and his crew can go to the media and give out about issues that wont be changed over night and he will be right. Fair play to him, he is right and everyone else is wrong. Thats excellent for him and i'm sure we are all happy for him. Now, there is the little matter of the outstanding problem.

Keely, in particular, always seems to go down this short term 'i am right, they are wrong' avenue. Its tiresome and futile, it will never get us any where. I dont think the FAI are ignoring him or anyone when it comes to matters about improving the league.

If Keely chooses not to subscribe to system to improve the league then how can the FAI be to blame for that. The PR of the league is under the remit of the FAI and they should fine Keely for his continued gripes against the league.

If it were any one else i'd probably favour their argument/opinion/stance a bit more.
    who is in keelys crew??
    and i know i've said it before and i'll say it again, is he wrong?? as long as he's right i think he's entitled to "go down this short term 'i am right, they are wrong' avenue."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

This is what I was getting at, people aren't on here complaining because they think Keely was wrong to come out on the issue, theyre on here complaining because they've seen another opportunity to have a go at Keely. I know he complains a fair bit about the league but correct me if Im wrong, has anybody else from any other club spoken out about the licencing situation. It would be very easy for the FAI to ignore a few journalists and fans on a football forum, but if they were to respond to Keely on the matter, we might hear their side of the story. I dont doubt that the FAI are doing their best to try and improve the league, but its getting harder to buy the whole, 'well be serious about licencing next year', at this stage.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    The man had no problem managing Dublin City.

The Loudmouth Clown.
    whats YOUR point..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    As I'm feeling particularly philospopical on this Saturday night shift:

A lie told 1000 times is never true. A truth told 1000 times is never a lie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    a lot of posters here are assuming that if clubs highlight a problem to the league they will solve it which is not the case the League is by in large not interested in the opinions of clubs and that i think is keelys main point.
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I love the fact that every day we all acknowledge the league as the joke it is but when someone within the league comes out and says it, they crucified for it by the very people who were saying the same thing 3 days previous.

Honestly, if Joe Gamble or whoever came out tomorrow and that "The whole league is a joke and i'm not having it anymore. I'm not going without wages for another week, i'd rather go to a 3rd division team in England where i might be paid less but at least i'd be paid on time" How many posts would say, fair play you're right?
    They always cheat, they always lie
    **** Delaney and the FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The issues that are being raised will not be improved over night. They will need discussion and input over a prolonged period of time.
    This reads a lot like Tony McGuire's old trick of telling us to expect a major announcement in 3 to 4 weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Keeley runs off to the papers to score points from the gallery as usual

Poor man's Eamon Dunphy is our Dermot and people keep falling for his nonsense

He has a point, and the FAI shouldn't fine anyone for a bit of criticism, but I'd like to know if the FAI are just trying to sort out some of the bad press the LoI gets (a lot of the time off people like Keeley in his column, and a lot of that is due to the man's personal grudges) or if this is something else entirely.

Either way the League will take years, if not a couple of decades to fix and get it to where we would all like it to be, and that's being optimistic. Keeley running to the Sun, or the Herald, or whatever other upmarket bastion of journalism that will print him isn't going to solve a damn thing, and will only distance the league from barstool respectablity that bit more

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    only distance the league from barstool respectablity that bit more
    Wise up.

I doubt the vast majority of barstoolers have a clue who Keely is, never mind the veracity of his points.

Poor man's Dunphy? At least Keely has medals to put on the table, unlike that other empty vessel.....

I am sure he has raised his concerns with the framework of the LMAI(He is still an officer holder is he not) and is probably getting feedback from his members about it as well.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maribor View Post

I doubt the vast majority of barstoolers have a clue who Keely is, never mind the veracity of his points.
    Exactly why he spouts nonsense in the paper, gets his name out there that bit more

Poor man's Dunphy? At least Keely has medals to put on the table, unlike that other empty vessel.....
    Yes, football medals are always the benchmark in sports commentary. If only Liverpool had won the league under Roy Evans, then maybe Jamie Redknapp might have been capable of saying something of worth oneday

I am sure he has raised his concerns with the framework of the LMAI(He is still an officer holder is he not) and is probably getting feedback from his members about it as well.
    As much a guess as me saying I am sure he's happier running off to the papers, probably more so given his past form in all honesty

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Jebus, you will drown in your own ignorance one day and i only hope i'm there to laugh.
    They always cheat, they always lie
    **** Delaney and the FAI

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast