Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: opening fixtures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

opening fixtures

What do people think of our opening three fixtures?
    Shels (away) Waterford (home) Fingal (away)

Personally think it is a good time to play these teams gets them out of the way and every team needs time to settle at start of season especially if lot of new signings and pressure on these clubs to do very well this year and a good start essential. I know we will need time as well but looking quiet assured in our games to date a lot better than this time last year in terms of fitness.

What would people think is an acceptable return from these games in terms of points?

PS for anyone who wishes to print out our fixtures can be found here
    http://www.wexfordyouthsfc.ie/fixtures09.html
    And Miles To Go Before We Sleep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    Two draws would be minimum we need, I think. Having seen the three friendlies, I presume we'll start with a 4-5-1 with Gavin Doyle up front. We look more solid at the back this year with the addition of Holden, McGrath, Breen and White and the return of JFOC. Missing a few key players at the moment unfortunately as Conor Sinnott, Patsy, Richie Fitz, Gary Sheehan and Paul Murphy must be doubtful. Would be great to see Locky back in black/pink. Hope some of them make it by next Friday.

Overall, would be hoping for a top-five finish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ForzaForth View Post
    Two draws would be minimum we need, I think. Having seen the three friendlies, I presume we'll start with a 4-5-1 with Gavin Doyle up front. We look more solid at the back this year with the addition of Holden, McGrath, Breen and White and the return of JFOC. Missing a few key players at the moment unfortunately as Conor Sinnott, Patsy, Richie Fitz, Gary Sheehan and Paul Murphy must be doubtful. Would be great to see Locky back in black/pink. Hope some of them make it by next Friday.

Overall, would be hoping for a top-five finish.
    Sheehan is out for meant to be out for about another 3 weeks Paul Murphy about 2-3 months. The others not sure. Danny Furlong is far for 100% as well. First few weeks will be tough enough hopefully Gavin Doyle can produce some magic up front which is more than capable of doing
    And Miles To Go Before We Sleep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Well when I saw the fixtures first I was fearful that we would still be pointless after three games. However, the new signings as well as the return of JFOC and the rumoured return of Locky give me hope that we will do OK. It would be nice to beat Waterford at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Jim View Post
    Well when I saw the fixtures first I was fearful that we would still be pointless after three games. However, the new signings as well as the return of JFOC and the rumoured return of Locky give me hope that we will do OK. It would be nice to beat Waterford at least.
    No rumour about Locky, he's back. Only issue is his fitness is well behind. Seemingly, he was unable to maintain his flying down the wing while up in the plane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I can't wait for my 3rd visit to Ferrycarrig Park.

We had a full car on both occasions last year, and I'd say it will be something similar this year. I think Stephen Henderson has built a very good squad for the upcoming season. Our first five games are tough, but I will be hoping to take 6 points from The Model County this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldyouth View Post
    No rumour about Locky, he's back.
    For how long? I hope he stays for the whole season this time. Is he going back to America again do you know?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Jim View Post
    For how long? I hope he stays for the whole season this time. Is he going back to America again do you know?
    I know nothing about that SJ. The only thing I can say is that we now have a very serious squad and anyone who thinks they can drift in and out will be left behind. While I'm all for keeping it local, there comes a time when the club has to say 'are you in or are you out'. Having seen loads of footie, I hope Locky is around for a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Tell me about "locky", i was living abroad for the 1st season so ive never seen him play? Winger who went to the US to become a pilot or something? Is he decent?
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Splurge View Post
    Tell me about "locky", i was living abroad for the 1st season so ive never seen him play? Winger who went to the US to become a pilot or something? Is he decent?
    Yep, went to train as a pilot and I believe he has completed that. I'll probably get in to trouble for my description, but what the heck. I'd describe him as a wing back, short enough, slightly stocky. Very fast runner with the ball and not easy to push off it. Good dribbling skills at close quarters and can finish well. A good man to have in the team to bring the ball out of defence

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    It's a huge boost to have him back. He's very exciting to watch when he's on form. He scored a goal last year in Athlone (the winner as I remember it) which showed exactly what he's capable of. He picked up the ball on the left wing around the halfway line, ran past three or four defenders and smashed it into the far corner. I'm really looking forward to seeing him play again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Got a good winning goal in the league cup V Cobh