Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: General News and Stuff.....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

General News and Stuff.....

It has been very quite on here lately so just trying to drum up a bit of banter especially since most teams are back training!

Anybody got any news from anywhere in the country?!

I hear there are a couple of problems up in the North West since Sligo Rovers decided to set up a team...players leaving other teams etc. Anybody got any info?

Does anyone know as well when the draws for National Cups will be made? And why is the Senior Cup starting in April this year, is there a reason?

Opinions on the FAI College Facilitators....Worthwhile or waste of time? The same for the RDO's....helpful or not so much?!

No underage leagues in Limerick AGAIN this year. Just a Ladies league for 2009. Shocking that we are in 2009 and young girls have nowhere to play not exactly good for the future of girls soccer in Limerick.

Be my guest to start new threads for topics....just getting the ball rolling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Dont have a whole lot of news, just that it was mentioned that Cork City might start up a girls team. Dont know exactly what levels to be honest but its on the cards again.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Heard that about Sligo Rovers also.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Any word on the National League? I heard there were meetings last year has anything moved on since?
    What exactly are the college facilitators supposed to do for womens football? I know they are in Cork IT, UCC, UL, DIT, Maynooth and Athlone IT but is their role to get these teams playing better or what? UL are walking away with the league and Athlone have qualified for the intervarsities (first time in a while I think?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Dont have a whole lot of news, just that it was mentioned that Cork City might start up a girls team. Dont know exactly what levels to be honest but its on the cards again.
    could see this working at underage level but not at senior. think they'd have alot of work to try get a team together of senior players as most would be involved with senior clubs in cork. think if they were to start up again start it younger and work their way up.
    As for the College Facilitators i think their there to promote the game at third level and to try get more people playing the sport at third level. playing with a college team i think you find you get a massive turn out at beginning of a new college year and this quickly dwindles. As for UL running away with the league when dont they.
    "Don't lower your expectations to meet your performance. Raise your level of performance to meet your expectations".

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    On UL:

UL are the running away with the league but they won't be the same force when the current crop of players move on. The college itself has NO B team and works with the same squad throughout the season and will find itself in HUGE trouble in the future.

Athlone seem to be thriving under the football facilitator programme and deserve the rewards. Is the reason this is happening tho because of its general smaller size compared to that of UCC, UL etc or is it that the facilitator in that specific college knows what is going on and is doing ground work.

Cork City:
    Agree with RamLadies about Cork City Senior Team....would only lower the level of standard that is currently there with players switching teams etc to play for one dominant force such as Cork City. I couldn't see girls changing teams so easily either not when they have worked so hard with their clubs.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've a couple of questions, who "mentioned" that Cork City are starting a girl's team?
    What league are they going to play in? The local Cork league or is it for this national league that is already supposed to be up and running? To be honest there are some teams already in the area where the football club is based. If they are playing in Turner's Cross, which I doubt, then Douglas and Corinthians are just in the road and if they are going playing in bishopstown, then they are a 5 - 10 minute drive from Wilton area, Ballincollig and Lakewood.
    Also it would involve some costs and though I'm a huge Cork City fan I do worry about their finances.
    A Face you really should clarify whether this is just heresay and rumour or did it actually come from Cork City FC? and if so is it adult, schoolgirl's, local or national?
    I'm sure you wouldn't say it just to get people talking

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    sligo rovers will get their season underway on sunday march 15 in killala the play the mighty knock/kiltimagh the following week in sligo in the mayo womens league.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2011 FIFA Women's World Cup Draw

Draw was made today.

Group 6
    Russia
    Republic of Ireland
    Switzerland
    Israel