Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Football in Shannon '09

FORMERLY: shannonman Lev Yashin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Football in Shannon '09

So here we are six months or so after the amalgamation of Newtown and Park and im just wondering, Do people think soccer is now stronger in the town or are we still struggling?
    My Goal Is To Deny Yours...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shannonman View Post
    So here we are six months or so after the amalgamation of Newtown and Park and im just wondering, Do people think soccer is now stronger in the town or are we still struggling?
    what amalgamation newtown disbanded .. ok a lot of players joined park but a lot also stayed in clare league... from what i have seen this year still struggling for all shannon teams none of them seem to have improved or got stronger this year..

" football is a simple game "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old git View Post
    what amalgamation newtown disbanded .. ok a lot of players joined park but a lot also stayed in clare league... from what i have seen this year still struggling for all shannon teams none of them seem to have improved or got stronger this year..
    I think it must have gotten stronger.
    Park youths today for example. Two players left Shannon to play with Wembley.
    One of them transfered back only a few weeks ago as he said it was no better.

This Wembley youths team have been the best team in town for quite a while now and i'm not sure if you were the but Park gave Wembley a bit of a hammering today. Finished 3 nil and could well have been more.

To me it seems like its rapidly improving at all levels. From under 8s to junior.
    "1 day i will start hand.ie"
    Newtown F.C. 1977-2008 R.I.P.
    Hibs goin up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Football in Shannon

Definite improvement.The Park youths team is the best youths team around for years and a perfect blend of the 2 clubs players...which was the purpose in the first place.8 wins on the trot from the first plus b team well up there also.Olympic doing great and the other Shannon team Bunratty also doing well.
    ( Sorry I couldnt help it..it just slipped out)
    "You'll not see nothing like the Shelbourne team"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    have to agree football getting stronger..look at park got a few players got a manager who is there to win and learn not just to collect a cheque like mr finnan.that has obviously reflected on the players.as they are rapidly moving up the table ,,

then look at shannon town doing really well in there league and have great chance of winning the league..

the two clubs b teams have got alot of new players and doing well in there league aswell..

olympic got a few lads from newtown and are in with a big shout in their league too..

so all in all i'd say ya football in shannon is in better shape this year than last..
    both clubs b teams playing in division 4a would be equivelent of division 7 in clare so not a great improvement..

shannon town a & park a both missed out on promotions last year . and around this time of year both were doing well also don't think either team has improved greatly this year .. hopefully all the shannon teams can do well this year as soccer in shannon badly needs a bit of success

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old git View Post
    both clubs b teams playing in division 4a would be equivelent of division 7 in clare so not a great improvement..

shannon town a & park a both missed out on promotions last year . and around this time of year both were doing well also don't think either team has improved greatly this year .. hopefully all the shannon teams can do well this year as soccer in shannon badly needs a bit of success
    This time last year we were struggling...big time and would have been happy to stay up! we had no manger and no direction whereas this year we are unbeaten in the league and pushing for promotion into one of the strongest junior leagues in ireland....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    This time last year we were struggling...big time and would have been happy to stay up! we had no manger and no direction whereas this year we are unbeaten in the league and pushing for promotion into one of the strongest junior leagues in ireland....
    apologies my mistake ... pushing for promotion into one of the strongest junior leagues in ireland .. still only pushing long way to go yet but hopefully ye can do it and also all the other clubs in shannon can do as well... any team that wins league / get's promoted fair play to them but the hardest bit is then staying in new division on a permanent basis

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbourne1904 View Post
    Bunratty also doing well.
    Not doin so well in the last 3 weeks I'm afraid. Have hit a slippery patch.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think its too early to judge the park/newtown amalgamation yet Shannonman. AFAIK it was setup to improve the schoolboys and eventually have a junior team made up of "homegrown" players good enough to compete for premier titles, cups, Fai, Mjc etc... and continue to bring youths through to the junior without having to approach other clubs players. At the moment i dont think any club can boast this. I do however think all the local Junior A teams seem to have improved this year. Ye are having a great season and will hopefully get promoted at least, Park have improved massively lately and could yet sneak promotion, Olympic are going well and could also get promoted, Bunratty have a chance of winning the clare premier and rinneanna have been very strong in cup competitions. All in all its good for the area to have so many teams doing well

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    Bunratty have a chance of winning the clare premier and rinneanna have been very strong in cup competitions. All in all its good for the area to have so many teams doing well
    Has someone moved the town boundaries, last I heard Bunratty and Rineanna were still in the parish of Newmarket. Then again yere welcome to them.
    I'll update this next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    that is the problem too many of the good shannon players spread out with different teams. while there are so many clubs in shannon , shannon will never have a chance of winning an fai or mjc.
    the youths will move on if they are going to go play in 1b or even 1a with the town....
    'You should never have a bad game, off the ball.......'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goals4fun View Post
    that is the problem too many of the good shannon players spread out with different teams. while there are so many clubs in shannon , shannon will never have a chance of winning an fai or mjc.
    the youths will move on if they are going to go play in 1b or even 1a with the town....
    Well do you think there should be just one team?? i think there are too many good players to languish down the leagues playing B team football.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well do you think there should be just one team?? i think there are too many good players to languish down the leagues playing B team football.
    The best of Shannon Town, Park and the rest would hold their own in Prem. But not strong enough to win it I reckon.
    About as good as Carew Park or Granville.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    i think as pike b said aslo the best shannon could offer would be in the premier in town. Might even push for a title with the right management /set up (last time park had the pick of the town they won the lawson and got to the fai 1/4, players lost interest and setup fell apart and they were nearly relegated the following year).
    The players that would not make this team/squad would be in 1a if you ask me and maybe the 3rd team not far behind that.
    At the moment you have some good players with each team all fighting for the same thing, promotion ..... surely a united team would achive this...

who would be the best you could call on from the shannon teams or players that have left and playing locally. That is the only way to judge it. you would however need somebody who only has shannon football in mind to take on a job like that and not somebody who is aligned to one club or the other..

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i think as pike b said aslo the best shannon could offer would be in the premier in town. Might even push for a title with the right management /set up (last time park had the pick of the town they won the lawson and got to the fai 1/4, players lost interest and setup fell apart and they were nearly relegated the following year).
    The players that would not make this team/squad would be in 1a if you ask me and maybe the 3rd team not far behind that.
    At the moment you have some good players with each team all fighting for the same thing, promotion ..... surely a united team would achive this...

who would be the best you could call on from the shannon teams or players that have left and playing locally. That is the only way to judge it. you would however need somebody who only has shannon football in mind to take on a job like that and not somebody who is aligned to one club or the other..
    Someone with bags of experiance and medals??

Nobody springs to mind???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike B View Post
    Someone with bags of experiance and medals??

Nobody springs to mind???
    ha ha i don't think that person would be up for that job just yet

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike B View Post
    The best of Shannon Town, Park and the rest would hold their own in Prem. But not strong enough to win it I reckon.
    About as good as Carew Park or Granville.
    I would have to disagree Pike B,i think if the best of shannon were to join forces they would more than hold their own in the limerick premier and would have a great chance of winning it. Problem being, as goals4fun said, there is some very good players playing with just good/average teams in and around shannon instead of having one or 2 very good teams full of very good players.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    we are all in the same boat..ie have shannon lads on team..
    Burratty in same boat also, at least 14 of the 20 or so squad are from shannon

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ha ha i don't think that person would be up for that job just yet

No not yet I reckon.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbourne1904 View Post
    Definite improvement.The Park youths team is the best youths team around for years and a perfect blend of the 2 clubs players...which was the purpose in the first place.8 wins on the trot from the first plus b team well up there also.Olympic doing great and the other Shannon team Bunratty also doing well.
    Well at least we gave ye one of our own to balance the books. Important to get into 1A though and keep junior football alive at the Riverside.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast