Thread: Mayo Super League 2009

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why oh Why

Quote Originally Posted by GoodFootball View Post
    At the end of the day if ye played Westport tomorrow they would still give ye a good lesson in football. Compare player for player to see how far behind Westport ye still are in football.

Looks like Celtic are begining to think their above ML all of a sudden....you'd swear ye won the ML ten years in a row the way you go on!
    Mabye Westport would give celtic a lesson,Somehow I dont think it would happen week in week out.The A league is most definitely a stepping stone to the First Div and hopefully further.I think that celtic deserve a lot of praise for taking the step and also without paying players to do it.
    I know of at least Two Super league Clubs that pay players.

Be fair at the same time,they didnt just talk about going into the A League,they did it.At the end of the day they are not only representing castlebar they are also representing mayo.

And as you well know they are not above the super league,they are part of it.Like every other club they play an integral part in its set up

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Westside142 View Post
    Thats my opinion,no need for explanation.
    Look at the standard of player who has jumped on the celtic bandwagon to clarify this.They are punching above their weight.
    Thats your opinion fair enough, what would westport do if the door was open for them to join the mickey mouse league? would they take it??

what players do think in your opinion are punching above their weight?

But as always the same, someone on mayo tries something new and people like you knock it all back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    this debate is so pathetic its not even funny, thought it was a super league forum, not a " have a go at celtic" one, fair play to celtic, we would all like to be playin in league of ireland full stop. does anyone want to talk about super league football no?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by r.rover View Post
    this debate is so pathetic its not even funny, thought it was a super league forum, not a " have a go at celtic" one, fair play to celtic, we would all like to be playin in league of ireland full stop. does anyone want to talk about super league football no?
    well said..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by r.rover View Post
    Agreed. There is absolutely reason for criticising Celtic for joining the A league, as they are doing so as a result of their ambitions as a club and are entirely justified in doing so. A quick look at the achievments of their youth teams verifies this beyond doubt. If they can have some of the best youth teams in the country why not aim high? I think these arguments stem from two roots; Westport/Celtic rivalry and some very immature people (a minority in fairness) trying to rise people with unfounded, unjustified, childish remarks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Can we get back to the media coverage and not a celtic/westport slagging match

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I wonder how Kilmore are getting on pre-season? 4-3 against Ballina in the cup was no bad result. And going down there is always an ordeal. I think they will surprise people this year if they can put out their full team. There seems to be a weight of opinion that claims Kilmore and Fahy are relegated already (See Mossy Lally's casual dismissiveness of both teams in his Mayo News article last week) but I think thats a little premature. They may well go down, but they will cause a few upsets along the way anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by FahyForever View Post
    I wonder how Kilmore are getting on pre-season? 4-3 against Ballina in the cup was no bad result. And going down there is always an ordeal. I think they will surprise people this year if they can put out their full team. There seems to be a weight of opinion that claims Kilmore and Fahy are relegated already (See Mossy Lally's casual dismissiveness of both teams in his Mayo News article last week) but I think thats a little premature. They may well go down, but they will cause a few upsets along the way anyway.
    thats not a shabby result for kilmore alrite, no harm mossy writin us off, let him off!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Westside142 View Post
    Spot on there boro86.
    You`d hardly know it has begun.
    As for that A-league, it`s mickey mouse stuff played by wannabees who are average in the extreme.Glorified junior soccer with a lot of travelling is all it is.
    100% correct if that what you think. But you have let yourself down with a statement like that and it shows you have very little knowledge of the Irish game. Of course the current Utd team would do very well in this league and possibly (IMO) are good enough to win it with their current squad. But we will never know which is a pity for the players and their true football supporters. The standard in Mayo Junior football IMO gets worse every year (We all know Utd current team are top class and will be for 5/6 more years but after that I am not so sure) and I see it hitting a new low this year. Bar one or two games the ball is in the air 80% of the time and I cannot understand why the players nowadays are not as good as years gone by.
    Last edited by Closing Time; 21/05/2009 at 3:58 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Just my honest opinion...its a B league for people who wanna play in the LOI but aren't good enough to get paid.

Im sure the lads feel like better players playing in it but at the end of the day all the teams are reserve sides of LOI!

Super league is less travelling and not that far off it standard wise. Each to their own though...
    Honest having a laugh

Stop, you do not really believe what you have just written. I know Fahy has just joined the S/l and you are from Westport but don’t start talking about the S/l until you start watching the games. I have watched the standard of the S/L drop for the last number of years and the proof is that we have a team (no disrespect intended) who were nearly ended up in Div 1 and fair dues to them are now in the S/L along with your own club who finished fourth in the premier (I know Fahy will do well this year in the S/l and deserve to be there on last five years performances) does not say a lot for the standard of football throughout the County. Please point out the quality games that will be on offer this weekend in the S/l and you are telling me they are near the standard of the A Championship please don’t reply with your anti Celtic hat on and think about what you will post. By the way have you seen any of Celtic games this year don’t think so your you would not have made the above statement well I hope not.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Have to agree with Closing Time, the Super League has dropped in quality over the last few years. Westport the only team in the league with quality players throughout the team.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Closing Time View Post
    Honest having a laugh

Stop, you do not really believe what you have just written. I know Fahy has just joined the S/l and you are from Westport but don’t start talking about the S/l until you start watching the games. I have watched the standard of the S/L drop for the last number of years and the proof is that we have a team (no disrespect intended) who were nearly ended up in Div 1 and fair dues to them are now in the S/L along with your own club who finished fourth in the premier (I know Fahy will do well this year in the S/l and deserve to be there on last five years performances) does not say a lot for the standard of football throughout the County. Please point out the quality games that will be on offer this weekend in the S/l and you are telling me they are near the standard of the A Championship please don’t reply with your anti Celtic hat on and think about what you will post. By the way have you seen any of Celtic games this year don’t think so your you would not have made the above statement well I hope not.
    Very well said. Kilmore point well made (with no disrespect to them) andfair play to celtic for thinking of the long-term future. The way some guys are thinking on here, you'd think that celtic had committed a crime!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boro86 View Post
    I havent seen the Mayo News but as far as the Connaught and the Western are concerned the coverage of the start of the league is woeful and non exsistant. Has Celtics games in the A league overshadowed the Super league?? Well so far yes. Each year the connaught does a decent piece on each club and the standings. This year nothing. Im certainly not holding my breath for anything in the advertiser as its coverage of soccer is a joke. Surley the A league and the Super can be given equal coverage?
    What are other posters opinions on this( and just to state im not dissing the A league)
    The question you asked is the S/l getting the coverage it deserves no but you cannot blame Celtic reports on the LOI Championship as the cause of this. Look this is a Castlebar based paper and Celtic are by far the biggest football club in the area and are playing at a national level and should get the space this warrants (in some of your anti Celtic cases that would be a paragraph) as should the S/l. Look at the coverage Utd got when winning the Senior Cup on Sunday nearly a page & ½ (maybe that took up the Junior League space), Celtic got a ½ page about the game and U-20 league plus the most read Celtic Corner which is really appreciated by the parents and players from the B & C teams who other wise would not get a mention in any paper. Yes the S/l is not getting the coverage it deserves but that is up to the Mayo League to sort this out with the local papers. Remember this is a GAA County and we are no where near the pulling power of this code with regard to support (we are all envious of the Utd support which is wonderful). Without the likes of Tom Kelly, Michael Gallager, Padraic Burns and the Mayo News lads we would have very little space. I know this is very pro Celtic but I just cant help it. My lot for ttb

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

dont knock it.

Not so sure about the standard in the super league dropping in the last few years,westport seem to be a step above everyone else but still think this years super league will be very competitive,remember westport lost to teams that got to final in both connaught and fai junior cup and iorras who finished mid table lost to winners,also celtic would have got further in fai, if not for the disgracefull refereeing in limerick,its too easy to knock the game in mayo get out and see a few games and ye might be suprised by the standard,dont know about anyone else but best game for me last year was the celtic v iorras 4.4 draw in celtic park near the end of last season, end to end stuff and cracking goals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Closing Time View Post
    100% correct if that what you think. But you have let yourself down with a statement like that and it shows you have very little knowledge of the Irish game. Of course the current Utd team would do very well in this league and possibly (IMO) are good enough to win it with their current squad. But we will never know which is a pity for the players and their true football supporters. The standard in Mayo Junior football IMO gets worse every year (We all know Utd current team are top class and will be for 5/6 more years but after that I am not so sure) and I see it hitting a new low this year. Bar one or two games the ball is in the air 80% of the time and I cannot understand why the players nowadays are not as good as years gone by.
    LOI football is played in the air bar a couple of teams. Celtic will have to adapt to this style of football. Most teams such as pats, shels have a physical backline and a physical striker to play long ball to. Watch MNS you'll see what i mean.

BTW I dont mean any disrespect to Celtic, I think its great they joined the A championship but just because they joined that people are now downing the super league. Its up to the rest of the SL to show they can compete with Westport, not to lie down and say their gonna win it every year for the next 5/6

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chadwicks Cup Round 2

Draw for next round of the Chadwicks cup published, byes to round 3 for Achill, Glenhest, Moy Villa, Charlestown, Castlebar Celtic, Conn Rangers and Kilmore.

Westport Utd. ‘B’ v Ballyglass
    Crossmolina v Kiltimagh/Knock Utd
    Manulla v Crossmolina ‘B’
    Westport Utd v Bangor Hibs. ‘B’
    Ballyheane v Straide & Foxford Utd
    Urlaur Utd v Snugboro Utd. ‘B’
    Bangor Hibs v Cross Celtic or Swinford
    Snugboro Utd v Mulranny Utd

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Missing Team?????

Quote Originally Posted by swinfordfc View Post
    thats 15 teams inRound 3 - should be 16? who you missing murph's

It could be 1st round fixture between Castlebar Town and Ballina Town 'B' I think, Both teams have withdrawn from the league. Funny how they were drawn against each other and both withdrew. But i think thats where the mystery is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    LOI football is played in the air bar a couple of teams. Celtic will have to adapt to this style of football. Most teams such as pats, shels have a physical backline and a physical striker to play long ball to. Watch MNS you'll see what i mean.

BTW I dont mean any disrespect to Celtic, I think its great they joined the A championship but just because they joined that people are now downing the super league. Its up to the rest of the SL to show they can compete with Westport, not to lie down and say their gonna win it every year for the next 5/6
    Tell me what games youve attended and seen this? How could you possibly see Shels when their not even shown on MNS? There was certainly no ball in the air the Celtic/A league games ive seen. There is however a huge leap in quaility between the A league and the premier. Celtic have ambition though and people should give them credit. Maybe you should take a trip up to Terryland or the showgrounds now and again and point out the "Physical" Strikers?? Creataro? Vinny faherty? Boco? I dont think so mate!! These guys are footballers!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pixiehead View Post
    Tell me what games youve attended and seen this? How could you possibly see Shels when their not even shown on MNS? There was certainly no ball in the air the Celtic/A league games ive seen. There is however a huge leap in quaility between the A league and the premier. Celtic have ambition though and people should give them credit. Maybe you should take a trip up to Terryland or the showgrounds now and again and point out the "Physical" Strikers?? Creataro? Vinny faherty? Boco? I dont think so mate!! These guys are footballers!!!!
    Shels? oops meant bohs as my point was the top teams are physical sides and good in the air.

A big man or 2 is what ye need up front.

And again, thats my point Celtic might need to get more physical to get into the 1st division. All the best to them anyway, they have ambition at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Realise this is a super league forum so wont discuss LOI or A League on here. Think it was me that brought it up

Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast