such idiots in that video btw. i hate americans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CF1989 View Post
    yeah definate red to be fair

such idiots in that video btw. i hate americans
    that video is ridiculous alright, he needs to get out of that league alright, your man in the england shirt was a right ****. I couldnt keep my cool if i was him.

Yeah it was a red card alright defo. Looks way worse from the far off angle. Id say it will be a matter of time before he moves on again
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    he needs to get out of there, getting nothing but abuse now all round it seems and with a world cup at the end of the season he needs to leave them fully, not on loan or anything. he still has a lot to offer the english team imo, he got lots of stick about his performances in 2006 world cup but he scored one and assisted around 90% of the other goals they scored in the tournament

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Sad news tonight about David Beckham's achilles injury. I have to confess I hated him (or at least the hype about him) during the early part of his career but in recent years he has always struck me as a pretty likeable fella and it's obvious how much he loves playing football - compared to the likes of Cashley Cole he does seem to have a bit of decency about him. I wouldn't be cheering for England by any means but it would have been nice to see him play in a fourth world cup. That isn't going to happen now but if this is the end of Beckham's "top-class" career then the send-off he got at Old Trafford last week would be quite fitting. Beckham may not play again this year but he had committed to play in the MLS in 2011. If he does recover from this injury then that looks likely to be his final season.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Terrible way to end a career. He'll be gutted. In a world of prima donnas who care more about their superman shorts than playing for their country, Becks loved playing for Engerland.
    Sad for him.
    The Beautiful Game

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    One of the few top level English players to try his luck abroad, very rare in the modern era. It's a shame for him as unlike a lot of other players (Stephen Ireland, Paul Scholes, etc) he never retired from International football to concentrate on his club career.

England will look a bit ropey in terms of creativity now, I don't see how they are going to create chances. Shaun Wright-Phillips or Wallcott (who are being touted as his immediate replacement(s) in the papers over here) are both very one dimensional. Wright Phillips has been useless this season, he just cant beat a half decent defender any more, and his strategy of knocking it past a player and then trying to run round them has been found out.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I am sure he loved playing for England for personal reasons, but even if he didn't it was important to 'Brand Beckham', there is no way he would have done a "Stephen Ireland" even if he hated playing for England, it would have destroyed his image, however his image is a genuine one so that would not have happened anyway.
    It is usually something pretty serious when a player pulls up for no apparent reason.
    It doesn't sound as if he will make a miracle comeback from the sound of it, also doubtful if he would have palyed much either.
    I wonder if he will go along as a team mascot? I expect he would like to be involvled in some manner, maybe as a comentator?
    Or perhaps he will take over from Phil Brown at Hull??? lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    now ill have to become an expert on the achilles tendon just like i did when it was his metatarsal.

Becks 4 Eva.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Victioria will be devestated, I bet she has spent months planning what to wear!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I suppose this will not be the hand of Hand of Henri, rather the Bunion of Beckham.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I saw some photos and he looked to be in immense pain. He got a kick in the face earlier in the match...talk about unlucky!
    L U H G

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryDrummer View Post
    I saw some photos and he looked to be in immense pain. He got a kick in the face earlier in the match...talk about unlucky!
    not the first time he got a boot into the face

" football is a simple game "

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It's an awful way for it to have ended for him, assuming this is the end. Bit of a blow for England too I think. I could see them being involved in matches where Wright-Phillips or Lennon or whoever are doing very little out the right and England are finding it difficult to create anything, he'd definitely have been a good man to turn to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    He was always going to be a reserve to turn to, in a game where the pace of Lennon wasn't opening doors, bring on Becks & Crouch and try something different. I don't think it'll hurt England that much in that he was always going to be plan B or even C but it's interesting to see Capello already talking about bringing him for his experience.
    Like him or not he was one of the players who was visibly proud to play for his country and in a lot of ways he has brought pride back into wearing the England national shirt. Considering the vilification after France 98 his journey from national villian to national treasure is astonishing and he was brave enough to try his luck abroad when he isn't blessed with natural talent and it would have been much easier for him to stay in England.
    I have a lot of time for the guy, made the absolute most of his talent's not many of us can say that.
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think his so called "lack of talent" is completely exaggerated. If anything that's the one thing he was blessed with. Having the ability to strike the ball as he does and the vision to utilise it fully is a huge talent to have. Fair enough he wouldn't be in the absolute top bracket with Messi or Ronaldino due to his inferior skill level but give me what he has any day over speed merchants like Walcott or Lennon, who don't possess a fraction of his footballing brain. He's always come across as a gent of the highest order also, if a little bit simple at times!

Tony Pulis complimented Beckham for going out of his way to accommodate Ryan Shawcross, when included in his first England squad a couple of weeks ago in the aftermath of the whole Aaron Ramsey fiasco. Gerrard was supposed to have been very good with him as well but he was captain for the evening, so probably had to be seen making an effort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    You can't practice what Messi or Ronaldinho have imho, Beckham's strenght is set piece delivery, clearly there has to be some natural talent but he has honed his art through hours of practice. Look at someone like Bentley at Spurs who has ability but the wrong attitude, if he spent the time Becks did in training his set pieces he'd already have ousted him from the England squad.
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Reading an issue of Total Football magazine from before the '98 World Cup on my day off and I see this letter somebody sent in:

Sulky Spice
    Dear Total Football,

Has anyone seen a game in which David Beckham hasn't shown, on at least three occasions, remarkable petulance at a referee's decision? I find it highly unlikely that he'll play in all of England's World Cup games since he'll receive at least two yellow cards for dissent.

Nigel Alderman,
    Email
    And the magazine's response:

And that's not to mention the number he'll pick up when he starts kicking out in frustration - another recent trait to his game.
    #Prophetic

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    A piece from the ever-excellent Rob Smyth, loosely based around his goal against Wimbledon.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...6-halfway-line
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Really enjoyed that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234