Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beckham

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Docboy View Post
    Yep, real brave of Beckham asking your man down knowing full well the confrontation would never be allowed happen. Don't blame the fans for giving him stick.
    He deserves all he gets, going to the MLS saying he was going there to help devlop and promote the game in the USA then he f*cks off half way though a season, and when he does come back he is talking about playing in the Englsih Premiership again.
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    He deserves all he gets, going to the MLS saying he was going there to help devlop and promote the game in the USA then he f*cks off half way though a season, and when he does come back he is talking about playing in the Englsih Premiership again.
    He didn't leave half way through the season and indeed when he was loaned out like Donovan it was with the permission of the club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I guess he thought the game was up when he was dropped at Madrid and he decided to cash in. Things changed dramatically and he decided to chase what was right for him instead of honouring his commitment. They're not the most honourable decisions that he has made but I don't blame him too much either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    ive great time for beckham, would go as far to say im a massive fan with the ball at his feet hes a footballing genius on the field he conducts himself superbly IMO, fit as a fiddle his body fat is meant to be lower now than ever before, must credit him for that!! Would love it if he went back to england again
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    He didn't leave half way through the season and indeed when he was loaned out like Donovan it was with the permission of the club
    First Beckham decides to move to LA for the money and to supposedly promote the game in the US. Then he goes on loan to Milan because he wants his 125 caps and Capello tells him he won't pick him unless he is in Europe. Once he gets to Milan he says he want to stay permanently only for LA to refuse to sell him to Milan unless they got their investment back. Now that he is back in LA, he is singing a different tune, saying how he always wanted to honour his contract. Not what he said a few months ago: http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=10131268001

Also Donovan made sure he was back for the start of the MLS season unlike Beckham.

I can't blame the Galaxy fans for being ****ed off at him for his lack of commitment last year and the whole move to Milan mess this year. Just because they're American soccer fans doesn't mean they're stupid.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars View Post
    Just because they're American soccer fans doesn't mean they're stupid.
    Really??!!
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bellavistaman View Post
    Really??!!
    Why would they be any less knowledgable than you ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars View Post
    First Beckham decides to move to LA for the money and to supposedly promote the game in the US. Then he goes on loan to Milan because he wants his 125 caps and Capello tells him he won't pick him unless he is in Europe. Once he gets to Milan he says he want to stay permanently only for LA to refuse to sell him to Milan unless they got their investment back. Now that he is back in LA, he is singing a different tune, saying how he always wanted to honour his contract. Not what he said a few months ago: http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=10131268001

Also Donovan made sure he was back for the start of the MLS season unlike Beckham.

I can't blame the Galaxy fans for being ****ed off at him for his lack of commitment last year and the whole move to Milan mess this year. Just because they're American soccer fans doesn't mean they're stupid.
    Bang on!

Any developments about his intention to speak to Donovan about criticising him publicly? Thought it was a bit typical that Beckham was ticked at being criticised but could offer nothing by way of rebuttal or refute.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Bang on!

Any developments about his intention to speak to Donovan about criticising him publicly? Thought it was a bit typical that Beckham was ticked at being criticised but could offer nothing by way of rebuttal or refute.
    Beckham dealt with it all behind closed doors the way it should be done, I thought he handled the situation very well, criticising a teammate in the press is not on, Donovan wasn't man enough to say it to his face he'd rather do it via the media.
    Beckham is no angel but he is an excellent pro, he's made the most of his talent & he went on loan to Milan with the full consent of LA galaxy. That the loan deal overlapped with the start of the MLS season is something that should have been dealt with in house, this whole story has developed because of donovans public outburst.
    He's made no secret of the importance to him of playing for England but it's Capello who is saying he should be playing in europe, not Beckham.
    Beckham has said "in the future"
    http://news.oneindia.in/2009/07/14/b...ierleague.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    Beckham dealt with it all behind closed doors the way it should be done, .....Donovan wasn't man enough to say it to his face he'd rather do it via the media.
    As a general principal I agree that these things should be handled out of the public glare. However -unless someone asks Donovan we've no way of knowing whether or not Donovan hadn't pulled Beckham up on his attitude or commitment privately some time before venting his frustration in public about having to carry a show pony who's commitment to the cause is evidently a cause for worry.

I thought he (Beckham) handled the situation very well.
    He went to the press himself pussin' about his professionalism being called into question Bob. No refute. Not a word of rebuttal out of him. He didn't challenge a single word of what Donovan said for truth or accuracy.

..... this whole story has developed because of donovans public outburst.
    ...maybe he felt Beckham needed it explained to him in the only language he understands -front page tabloid font size 120.

He's made no secret of the importance to him of playing for England but it's Capello who is saying he should be playing in europe, not Beckham.
    [/url]
    So now it's Capellos fault? Beckham knew the score when he moved to the States. He was effectively dropping a division and stepping off the main stage of a footballers career to start up a sideshow with the wife in Hollywood. Tough luck. Life's full of choices.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    As a general principal I agree that these things should be handled out of the public glare. However -unless someone asks Donovan we've no way of knowing whether or not Donovan hadn't pulled Beckham up on his attitude or commitment privately some time before venting his frustration in public about having to carry a show pony who's commitment to the cause is evidently a cause for worry.

He went to the press himself pussin' about his professionalism being called into question Bob. No refute. Not a word of rebuttal out of him. He didn't challenge a single word of what Donovan said for truth or accuracy.

...maybe he felt Beckham needed it explained to him in the only language he understands -front page tabloid font size 120.

So now it's Capellos fault? Beckham knew the score when he moved to the States. He was effectively dropping a division and stepping off the main stage of a footballers career to start up a sideshow with the wife in Hollywood. Tough luck. Life's full of choices.
    Donovan went public before Beckham had come back to LA & has since appologised saying he should have handled it differently, unfortunately the die has been cast. "There are a lot of things I regret. I regret the way I went about this process and I also regret some of the things I said."

He's being pilloried in the press for wanting to return to England when actually he's said "maybe in the future", allthe talk of him coming back is coming from Capello & the British tabloids, I'm not saying it's Capellos fault but the media are putting a spin on it, as they do, to sell papers.

Like I say, I don't think Beckham's an angel & there's no doubt the LA deal was all about the money but I think he's got the rough edge of the sword on this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    "Maybe in the future"? He is the one who said he wanted to permanently move to Milan a few months ago.

Also, you need to understand the whole background/context to Donovan's comments. Grant Wahl who is a respected sports journalist stateside was writing a book about Beckham and LA. He got a lot of access to the whole Galaxy set up. A lot of players and backroom staff participated with the blessing of AEG, the owners of LA. All except Beckham who's handlers, 19 Entertainment wanted money for his participation in the book. I don't blame Donovan at all, he was the leader of the team before Beckham, then when his circus(19 Entertainment, Terry Byrne etc) came, all went south for the team. I would understand his frustration at that and Beckham's lack of commitment last year. He could have said it to Beckham, maybe he even did so. But would have happened? Nothing. Because Beckham and his handlers are too powerful in the LA set up seeing as how they made sure Beckham got the captaincy from Donovan and with the hiring of Ruud Gullit.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I like Beckham, but he can be a right pain also.At the end of the day he knew when he went west that it would damage his career(apart from money and publicity - and in doing this, in my opinion he showed that these were the things most important to him). How he and Posh can bi tch about publicity when they court it so much is beyond me...and as for confronting the fans...that looked very silly. In addition having Tom Cruise as one of his groupies really gets on my wick, he's a horrible little ba stard

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Beckham is reported to have had another altercation with a LA Galaxy fan, the fan appparently insulted victoria beckham and David challenged him
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Beckham is reported to have had another altercation with a LA Galaxy fan, the fan appparently insulted victoria beckham and David challenged him
    Very daft of him. Why doesn't he just concentrate on his game?
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    From RTE:
    .....The latest incident saw the 34-year-old exchange words with a male in the crowd, who was wearing an England shirt, during the Galaxy's 1-1 draw with the Kansas City Wizards on Saturday.

Beckham appeared to take offence at something the man said, and later claimed the spectator had insulted his wife, Victoria.

'He shouldn't actually be wearing that shirt because what he was saying about my wife was a disgrace,' Beckham said...
    Jesus the guy thinks he IS England now.

References to the ball and chain really work when winding up Becks. Once saw him fully stand on a ball he was trapping and fall @rse over elbow at Elland Road as 40,000 Leeds supporters serenaded him about what posh spice takes and where posh spice takes it. Think he figured it couldn't all be rumour and conjecture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Maybe he's doing his best to get kicked off the team?
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    From RTE: Jesus the guy thinks he IS England now.

References to the ball and chain really work when winding up Becks. Once saw him fully stand on a ball he was trapping and fall @rse over elbow at Elland Road as 40,000 Leeds supporters serenaded him about what posh spice takes and where posh spice takes it. Think he figured it couldn't all be rumour and conjecture.
    I actually change my mind about what I said above. I don't like him he's a ****

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Fast forward to 1.53

Last edited by strangeirish; 28/07/2009 at 9:36 PM.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Got sent off for a very bad tackle against Seattle after only 17mins.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast