Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kildare County. Not an A-League Club.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Kildare County. Not an A-League Club.

I may be a KCFC fan, sure. But hear me out on this one. I went to our first match ever, V. Limerick in the 1st Division Cup. We won that game 2-0, and it had me hooked on LOI football. I have not missed a game since, other than for work reasons.

KCFC belong in the League of Ireland. I don't say that with any arrogance, but rather because I have seen this club being formed from the bottom up and I have done my part in helping it to survive despite the odds. KCFC was thrown into the deep end in this league. It was expected to strive in a league environment where survival was the aim of even the best of clubs.

Sure, we lost to Mervue fairly and squarely. However, I still think we have something to offer to the LOI. Just last season we got two new stands, adding 700 seats to our ground. Last season, the club decided to invest in our youth structure and infrastructure, in the hope that i a few years time that would stand us good stead.

Today, we stand on the brink of competing with Bohemians B etc. Despite that, today, at a friendly today V Wexford I saw something no B team could illustrate. A team with passion and commitment. Our captain (Daithi O'Connell)was ambulanced away with a severe injury. Who know's if he will play again. However, he was a local player, and a class act who was given an opportunity to shine by the fact we have LOI soccer in Kildare. People say we have nothing but a bunch of Dubs or whatever, but really, we are a Kildare team and our foundation lies with Kildare soccer. Today, 20 odd players lined out with us, all dedicated despite the fact they hadn't a cent to earn no matter what league we end up in. Compare that to Sporting Fingal, spending stupid money on journey-men players like Zayed who follow the mullah and leave when it's gone. Sure, Fingal would beat us any day. However, it's ironic that when KCFC became a realistic club with sustainable resources, we got trashed week-in week-out.

Tomorrow night/Monday we will find out if we have earned a place in the LOI or not. Personally, I think our club is a testament to the LOI. An example of the good and bad sides of the League. As a fan, my view is obviously blurred.

What do you think? Is KCFC worthy of a LOI place? Do we add anything?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    no club should be league of ireland if they dont have a min of 500 fans at each game

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Goodbye to a lot of clubs then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Goodbye to a lot of clubs then?
    Im afaid so there are tough times ahead and soccer clubs will bear the front of it, so a lot of the smaller clubs may not surive.

scary to think westport utd sold over 1,000 season tickts at €70
    and they still the costs of running an league of ireland team is too high, and wont even consider entering A league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I have a lot of sympathy for Kildare and I doubt if the LOI has been enriched in anyway by having Mervue replace them. I wish them a speedy return.
    Neale Fenn on retiring: 'I think once you finish you might as well finish rather than making all sorts of comebacks.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Kildare might end up the the league after all, if Cobh don't get their license.

I went to Station Road last year out of curiosity to (a) see a Kildare Home game and (b) see this new-fangled Sporting Fingal outfit. I'd say there were 200-250 there, at most.

The original poster mentions that this is a real 'Kildare' team, but I can't help but think that it must suffer by Newbridge being a commuter town. Any Dubs that have moved there would be more likely, surely, to support a Dublin LOI club already.

Good to hear, though, that they've got a youth setup going. That can only be a good thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Not too different to Kilkenny really, a nice tidy set up but if the money is not invested on the field people will not come & the club will ultimately die.

Not a romantic view but people want success so Fingal would have a better attendence this year than Kildare if both were in the same division.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Always had a soft spot for Kildare County for some reason. Would like to see them in the league because i don't think Mervue are adding anything. And as for that post about Westport selling 1,000 season tickets! I'm sure that is subscription to the club and most families in the area would sign up. Much like a GAA club who get subscritions to membership every year, even though alot of people wouldn't go near the place for a match they pay the membership as it is part of their local community. To say they'd have 1,000 people at every match is hilarious, its there membership fee dressed up at season tickets.
    Anyway I hope Kildare can get back in but i wont be losing any sleep over it if they don't

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    might be light at the end of the tunnel yet for Kildare.Word from Cobh is "A LEAGUE" next year!
    Hope the injury to your captain is not too serious.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Westport lost to St Peters in the FAi cup two weeks ago, though the fixture was moved to Castlebar (12 miles away) due to Wesports ground being un playable, attendance was about 200 inc 50 from St Peters. It wa a fiver in so somebody should be able to quickly confirm the attendance.

I agree with the the notion about 500 people being required at games to make the clubs viable in the LOI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey4ireland View Post
    I understand where Philly is coming from and it is a pity that a provincial club who are doing things right off the pitch despite a lack of decent support are not taking part and a francise from dubland are.

And the theroy that any club with attendances under 500 is ridicolous. Where's the point in that like. You sdhouldn't exclude clubs with poor support you should work with them to increase the suport and forge links with their community

Its been tried and tried . i.e ucd .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Kildare were rubbish last year, finished bottom, lost play off and are relagated. What more can you say?

But I am expecting some surpise with the licensing, some club wont get a license, and you will prob get away with it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    I may be a KCFC fan, sure. But hear me out on this one. I went to our first match ever, V. Limerick in the 1st Division Cup. We won that game 2-0, and it had me hooked on LOI football. I have not missed a game since, other than for work reasons.

KCFC belong in the League of Ireland. I don't say that with any arrogance, but rather because I have seen this club being formed from the bottom up and I have done my part in helping it to survive despite the odds. KCFC was thrown into the deep end in this league. It was expected to strive in a league environment where survival was the aim of even the best of clubs.

Sure, we lost to Mervue fairly and squarely. However, I still think we have something to offer to the LOI. Just last season we got two new stands, adding 700 seats to our ground. Last season, the club decided to invest in our youth structure and infrastructure, in the hope that i a few years time that would stand us good stead.

Today, we stand on the brink of competing with Bohemians B etc. Despite that, today, at a friendly today V Wexford I saw something no B team could illustrate. A team with passion and commitment. Our captain (Daithi O'Connell)was ambulanced away with a severe injury. Who know's if he will play again. However, he was a local player, and a class act who was given an opportunity to shine by the fact we have LOI soccer in Kildare. People say we have nothing but a bunch of Dubs or whatever, but really, we are a Kildare team and our foundation lies with Kildare soccer. Today, 20 odd players lined out with us, all dedicated despite the fact they hadn't a cent to earn no matter what league we end up in. Compare that to Sporting Fingal, spending stupid money on journey-men players like Zayed who follow the mullah and leave when it's gone. Sure, Fingal would beat us any day. However, it's ironic that when KCFC became a realistic club with sustainable resources, we got trashed week-in week-out.

Tomorrow night/Monday we will find out if we have earned a place in the LOI or not. Personally, I think our club is a testament to the LOI. An example of the good and bad sides of the League. As a fan, my view is obviously blurred.

What do you think? Is KCFC worthy of a LOI place? Do we add anything?
    Fair play to ya Philly. I think yes, Kildare should be a league club. I'm fed up with rumours and people saying that Kildare,Monaghan, Mervue have nothing to offer to the LOI. Sure Mervue are going to struggle, there will probably be days where crowds mighn't make 100. Its frightening but what Mervue and other clubs like them offer is players the chance to play LOI football.

Philly, keep up what ye are doing in up there. Yereselves and Monaghan have invested in infrastructute and youth set-ups. The effects of Monaghan's work in that sector is starting to show after reorganising themselves for the last few years. They are now genuine promotion contenders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    According to a well connected Ramblers fan on our forum they have gotten official word that they are in the A league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    I find it hard to agree with the sentiment that Kildare are a 'provincial' club and the league is worse without them. No offence, but Newbridge is no more than a commuter town of Dublin, and in effect it is another Dublin club.
    As for questioning what Mervue bring to the league, they offer local youngsters the chance to play LOI, not washed-up has-beens. Of their current squad, only Goldbey, Keogh and Curran have played LOI before, the vast majority of the rest are local (Mervue) lads so that is what they offer, another outlet to young players in Galway, and to a wider extent the West of Ireland, to play at the highest level in the country
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Word is you'll probably survive.

I think I've only missed 1 Limerick game there and generally the crowds have been poor. Lovely setup and I hope you do but Newbridge and Kildare in general strikes me as very much a GAA stronghold.

Great attendances in your first season but the interest appeared to wane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    The title of this thread is actually quite appropriate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    [quote=WoodquayBoy;1105552]I find it hard to agree with the sentiment that Kildare are a 'provincial' club and the league is worse without them. No offence, but Newbridge is no more than a commuter town of Dublin, and in effect it is another Dublin club.

No their not and its a silly comment to make

Celbridge aka C-Bridge aka The CBDG/Leeson Street
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah thats a pretty stupid comment to make.

At the start, years ago, when there were no LoI standard players in the area there were some journeymen plugging the holes sure. Recent years though they've been working specifically to become a proper local team, with local players, facilities, staff, owners and players. That'll become very obvious this season
    "Football's not a matter of life and death... its much more important than that"

http://pintofunspecific.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=WoodquayBoy;1105552"]I find it hard to agree with the sentiment that Kildare are a 'provincial' club and the league is worse without them. No offence, but Newbridge is no more than a commuter town of Dublin, and in effect it is another Dublin club"

So by your reasoning any town thats within 30 miles of Dublin is only a place for Dubs to sleep? And that we should all just give up our county identity because of this? Man, there are some real muppets out there...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast