Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Aviva Stadium

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aviva Stadium

Maybe I'm incorrect but didn't the good people of Aviva announce the plan to send 500 irish jobs to india last year for cost reasons.

If so, it really sticks in my craw when they announce a 4million a year deal to sponsor the new stadium.
    I for one will never take a policy out with them but now fully intend never to refer to teh stadium other than Landsdowne road. A small gesture but I'm amazed that no journo has picked up on this issue.
    The sponsorship equates to 9k a year per job.

PS I accept that maybe the jobs would have gone anyway and maybe we're lucky to be getting the money back into sport but does seem to indicate that profits ain't a problem for poor old Aviva. Personally, I be more likely to get a policy off them if they dropped their premiums (obviously inflated if they have 45million to spare) instead of getting a subtle reminder on each ticket stub.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    A strange stance to take.

Whilst it is nigh-on impossible to assess the business impact of sponsorship - particularly for established firms - big companies enter them as business decisions. They therefore expect such sponsorship will generate more business for them. Yet you seem to think it's just blowing their profit for a laugh ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post

Whilst it is nigh-on impossible to assess the business impact of sponsorship - particularly for established firms - big companies enter them as business decisions. They therefore expect such sponsorship will generate more business for them. Yet you seem to think it's just blowing their profit for a laugh ?
    The sponsorship is purely branding and brand awareness.

Everyone knows the household names Hibernian Insurance and Norwich Union.

Both the old established brands will now, and in future, be known as Aviva and one easy but expensive way to get joe public to change is via sponsorship.

eircom are a prime example, they invested in the national team and as a by product domestic football or the eircom league.

The branding was so successful that eircom didn't need to continue the sponsorship of the league and have withdrawn so we now revert to the League of Ireland.

However, Lansdowne will always be Lansdowne just as the Point Depot will always be the Point Depot to me, as sometimes there is resistance to change for the sake of change
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebus2008 View Post
    Maybe I'm incorrect but didn't the good people of Aviva announce the plan to send 500 irish jobs to india last year for cost reasons.
    I dont recall this? Aviva HQ are out the road from me in Galway and they havent shed one job, actually they were advertising vacancies only a week or two ago in the local rags ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I dont recall this? Aviva HQ are out the road from me in Galway and they havent shed one job, actually they were advertising vacancies only a week or two ago in the local rags ?
    That's what I was going to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    they have a big office on dawson street in dublin, thats where the layoffs have/will occur
    Camac Ultras North Terrace Section

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Aviva have owned Hibernian Insurance for a number of years and are part of what was known as Norwich Union. Basically, they are the Irish wing of a UK Insurer. This is part of their strategy to rebrand themselves.
    They did declare that they were shipping around 900 call centre jobs to India but unions are in negotiations about it.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post

Yet you seem to think it's just blowing their profit for a laugh ?
    I must have missed that section in my email.

My point is for a company who had to announcing the need to send 900 jobs to India (their choice entirely) last year, to then spend 4million a year solely for naming rights when every dog in the street will still refer to it as Landsdowne Road seems odd.

"Highbury to Emirates" had some hope to making the chnage as they made a geographical move.
    The new Stadium will still be beside Landsdowne Rd dart station so I just can't see it working.

Just seems odd that on one hand, they adopt the Ryanair approach by outsourcing while on the other hand, they blow 45million ala Aer Lingus.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    My point is for a company who had to announcing the need to send 900 jobs to India (their choice entirely) last year, to then spend 4million a year solely for naming rights when every dog in the street will still refer to it as Landsdowne Road seems odd.

Just seems odd that on one hand, they adopt the Ryanair approach by outsourcing while on the other hand, they blow 45million ala Aer Lingus.
    The sponsorship deal is a European/Global deal. They did not spend 45m just for publicity in Ireland.

The lot of Irelands economy is made up of foreign multinationals relocating here. You could call it outsourcing. Obviously its a personal decision not to take out a policy with Aviva but will you be consistent will companies you do business with? Will you buy a Dell computer again? Do you also boycott any companies with call centres in India? I feel you have set an impossible standard you won't be able to stick to...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    The sponsorship deal is a European/Global deal. They did not spend 45m just for publicity in Ireland.

The lot of Irelands economy is made up of foreign multinationals relocating here. You could call it outsourcing. Obviously its a personal decision not to take out a policy with Aviva but will you be consistent will companies you do business with? Will you buy a Dell computer again? Do you also boycott any companies with call centres in India? I feel you have set an impossible standard you won't be able to stick to...
    On your first point: 4million seems alot when you consider the majoirty of games played there won't register with many outside of the country.
    Consider the current WC campaign, the Italian match might get a mention (due to Italys involvemeet )but aside from that: poor quality fixtures against Georgia/Bulgaria/Cyprus...you won't find the results lete alone mention of the stadia outside of Ireland and the opposition country...maybe they're planning to flog a few policies in down town tbilsi..

On the rugby front, it will be 3 games every 2 years (Fr/Eng/Wales) and that for a sport that only 8-10 countries play seriously. Majoitry of world hasn't even heard of all blacks let alone...aviva stadium
    Seems very poor return.

Your second point has merit in that 100% adherence won't be possible but there is scale of persepctive. 900 jobs leaving the country supposedly for cost reasons but 4million a year avaialble for poor brand exposure.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

"Highbury to Emirates" had some hope to making the chnage as they made a geographical move.
    The new Stadium will still be beside Landsdowne Rd dart station so I just can't see it working.

You do know why they want the naming rights, don't you?
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    You do know why they want the naming rights, don't you?
    Pls enlighten me.
    It seems such a strange decision subject to any cost benefit analysis, I must be missing something v obvious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

What you consider blowing money, they consider an investment to generate further business.

If your post was to question the sense of sponsorship full stop, then you'd have a decent point. But to try to connect sponsorship with the fact that a global economy continually sees jobs shifted to cheaper locations (just as Ireland benefitted from in the 90's) is just confusing two unrelated issues/dynamics.

Ireland would never have had a sniff of the Celtic Tiger's arse without jobs being outsourced to us from higher cost locations. How quickly we forget after a decade of the good times.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    On the rugby front, it will be 3 games every 2 years (Fr/Eng/Wales) and that for a sport that only 8-10 countries play seriously. Majoitry of world hasn't even heard of all blacks let alone...aviva stadium. Seems very poor return.
    I was probably wrong to suggest it is a global sponsorship. More than likely mainly UK+Ireland. However as mentioned above it is an opportunity to establish a new brand name. Every Ireland home international for football & rugby (10+) gets extensive coverage in the UK including live TV. Remember there are also non-sporting events like concerts.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Iggy Pop has been pardon the pun, popping up, in their adverts so obviously a few bob to spare...
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I was probably wrong to suggest it is a global sponsorship. More than likely mainly UK+Ireland. However as mentioned above it is an opportunity to establish a new brand name. Every Ireland home international for football & rugby (10+) gets extensive coverage in the UK including live TV. Remember there are also non-sporting events like concerts.
    Aviva are a global insurance giant head quartered in the UK and who operate in over 30 countries. This particular deal would be largely funded by the UK head office and be a part of the Norwich Union -> Aviva rebranding taking place in the UK. All the various entities across the globe are being rebranded as Aviva including Hibernian Aviva droping the Hibernian name next Jan. This sponsorship decision cant really be correlated with the offshoring taking place in Ireland. I know that Aviva are also becoming official Insurance Partners to the FAI and IRFU as part of this deal and plan to get with the FAI on some of the grass roots programmes. All in all I think its great to see a major global corp getting involved with the stadium ... the beautifull game in this country will benefit from the money coming in.

bhs

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Aviva are a global insurance giant head quartered in the UK and who operate in over 30 countries. This particular deal would be largely funded by the UK head office and be a part of the Norwich Union -> Aviva rebranding taking place in the UK. All the various entities across the globe are being rebranded as Aviva including Hibernian Aviva droping the Hibernian name next Jan. This sponsorship decision cant really be correlated with the offshoring taking place in Ireland. I know that Aviva are also becoming official Insurance Partners to the FAI and IRFU as part of this deal and plan to get with the FAI on some of the grass roots programmes. All in all I think its great to see a major global corp getting involved with the stadium ... the beautifull game in this country will benefit from the money coming in.

bhs
    Beware the giants...aig, lehman etc

Anyway, the money is great and hopefully will find its way to the grassroots.

No need to labour my point but for 4million a year, all that Aviva will get is is one high profile football game and 2 rugby games (with rugby having limited worldwide appeal). Fair play though to FAI, unlike them to actually get a positive result in the financial sense and hoepfully monies will be put to good use and not squandered like previous bonanza's.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    No need to labour my point but for 4million a year, all that Aviva will get is is one high profile football game and 2 rugby games (with rugby having limited worldwide appeal). Fair play though to FAI, unlike them to actually get a positive result in the financial sense and hoepfully monies will be put to good use and not squandered like previous bonanza's.
    I don't think you get it yet - they get stadium name not just title sponsor of a few games. Obviously they would hope that every time someone talks about the stadium they use the sponsors name.

Click

Recent high profile stadium naming rights deals in Europe include Bayern Munich’s Allianz Arena at USD$8 million (£4 million) a year, and a total sponsorship package at Arsenal’s Emirate’s Stadium, which includes both the stadium naming rights over fifteen years and the shirt sponsorship for eight years, worth USD$200 million (£100 million).

Bring back Rocketman!