Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Foot.ie Music Exchange 2009

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Haven't listened yet but got it today alright, cheers man. Going by tracklist and Sunny Jim's response it seems I can look forward to being subtly charmed by the tenderness of it all. Excellent.

Oh but no title? What A Phe...no-male-on CD! maybe? Or less complicated, but no less delightful, Fenomenal Female?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Mine was a real rush job in the end, got very busy with birthday parties, recoveries and Dubstep last week. But I'll go with your first suggestion Hoop

Was in a quiet mood last week when making it due to said recovery days, if you'd caught be this week I'd have a mix of dubstep and breakcore most likely

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Mine was a real rush job in the end, got very busy with birthday parties, recoveries and Dubstep last week.
    Bahhhh! And you said it was college that held you up. LIAR!
    Oh. Hang on. Music, parties, recoveries, more music, more parties, more recoveries. Maybe it was college!

Anywhichwhatway, I can safely and happily say a lack of hours of tense rumination did not unduly effect the output. Really enjoyed it, no songs I don't like, flows very nicely, as evidenced by two successive listens without so much as a discontented "hmm that's not great." I probably put it best in my looking-ahead post above, "subtly charmed by the tenderness of it all."

Maybe the most pleasing thing is that it's not music I'd normally listen to and don't have much of, and probably wouldn't buy a CD of most of the artists, but it's music I quite like, and now I have a nice varied CD of it. So I imagine it getting plenty of plays. Good start to the series anyway. To pick one highlight out of a consistently bright bunch, I'd probably go for the track by The Be Good Tanyas. (pity about their name though!)

Anyway, I'm rambling again.
    In short - I liked it. Good work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Good good, and as you pointed out, going to bed the worse for wear at 10am on a Tuesday morning, missing all of Tuesday and large chunks of Wednesday, only to do the exact same on Thursday and Friday night as you did the previous weekend is all part of the college experience.

No one going for Anais Mitchell as their favourite track yet is starting to make me very angry and upset though, I think I'll go get drunk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

No one going for Anais Mitchell as their favourite track yet is starting to make me very angry and upset though, I think I'll go get drunk
    Without trying to sound ungrateful her voice would go through you for a short cut!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Hell on a handcart this country is going to the dogs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Smile

Anais Mitchell's song was OK Jebus, but as for Joanna Newsom, her voice is, eh, interesting to say the least. An acquired taste maybe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I thought the same about Joanna Newsom when I first heard her, and I'd be told I'd hate her voice initially but to give it time and you'll grow to love it, and you know what, they were right

My advice: Give it time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
    Without trying to sound ungrateful her voice would go through you for a short cut!
    In my ignorant state i've just realised i mistook Anais Mitchell for Joanna Newsom!
    The Anais Mitchell track isn't that bad at all!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I dunno, I love Joanna Newsom. In fairness I'd heard her before so that definitely helped. Remember thinking she sounded a bit silly at first, now she's got a more lovely playful beguiling type buzz going on.
    To be honest Anais Mitchell cuts through me a lot more. On which topic, how are we pronouncing "Anais"? I remember playing soccer against a lad called Anus before - a cause of considerable mirth to hear his name! Anais just reminded me of it. So is this one Anus, or Anne, or Annay, or wha?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I'll tell you how to pronounce it just as soon as you confirm you're coming to Booka Shade with myself and those three ladies I was telling you about

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I'll tell you how to pronounce it just as soon as you confirm you're coming to Booka Shade with myself and those three ladies I was telling you about
    I'm intrigued (and no little excited) as to how you made the link between whether or not this woman is called Anus and the kind offer to me of three ladies... ??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Very nice Mix Jebus. Months later I still can't decide whether I really like Feist or feckin hate her. Charming little song ...and yet ..and yet ... there's this odd Carly Simon thing going on ....but the fact that it's odd is keeping her onside for now.

Joanna Newsome is great. Sounds like Alfalfa from the little rascals and has these marvelous tunes ..Inflamatory Writ is a smashing song of hers as well.

My record collection isn't overfloweth with female artists I must admit. It appears women are more for knobbing rather than nodding along to.

Though a quick scan of my collection reveals an mount of work by Kirsty McColl, Sleeper and Catatonia.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Sleeper just missed the cut, well they missed out cause I couldn't find my It Girl CD

Top, top band however

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I always thought there was something about Louise Wener.
    I believe she has become an novelist since the band broke up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I always thought there was something about Louise Wener.
    I believe she has become an novelist since the band broke up.
    She has, I even read her first novel such was my crush on her in the 90s. It's not bad, kinda Nick Hornbyish, so if you like that it might be worth picking up

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Good work Jebus, good idea, and a very nice record!

Great start with Patti Smith, and I particularly liked the Le Tigre track, also All Seeing I (love the Buddy Rich (sort of) original) Tegan & Sara, Be Good Tanyas, Laura Marling and Ani DiFranco.
    Sinead O'Connor one is by far the best she's done other than that collaboration with Jah Wobble.
    Good finish too, Mr Bojangles is just a lovely song. And a nifty sidestep at the end, was expecting a completely different track!

Sorry though but Joanna Newsome remains a step too far for me. Interesting though. And good to know what a Lisa Simpson single will sound like should one ever come out.
    Last edited by stann; 04/03/2009 at 10:16 AM.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've just posted out my contribution lads so you'll have it tomorrow or friday.
    In the end i just put a bit of everthing on it.So hopefully there's something that will appeal to most of you.
    I'll post the tracks up later when you all receive your copy(btw there is a tracklist with the cd).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    A bit of everything is good (or promises to be at least!). Looking forward to it.

I'll post the tracks up later when you all receive your copy(btw there is a tracklist with the cd).
    Good man.
    We might even get a case with this one if we're lucky.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Got it in the post today Optimist, haven't listened to it yet but it will serve me well on the train to Dublin in 2 hours

Only know 5 of the tracks as well, which is always a good thing, so will report back on Saturday with my thoughts

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast