Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 40 of 119 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    He didn't use the word gifted, he said technically good, by that I mean to take he isn't one with natural ability but one who can improve because he is able to work hard and he has learnt so much so quickly but he "is not the best passer or keeper" of the ball, what does that sound like to you?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    Read the article - arguably a bit of an unflattering assessment of Sligo from Moyes.
    I bet he wouldn't be as dismissive of Jermaine Beckford's similarly humble beginnings.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    He didn't use the word gifted, he said technically good, by that I mean to take he isn't one with natural ability but one who can improve because he is able to work hard and he has learnt so much so quickly but he "is not the best passer or keeper" of the ball, what does that sound like to you?
    That sounds to me that if he works hard, he will improve.

- but I'm still not sure what you mean because I've no idea how you can extrapolate to now say he isn't one with natural ability. The bottom line which we agree upon is that there's opportunity for him to improve his technical ability. I'm saying, any potential improvement has no relationship with "gifted" or "natural" ability, (except that either could accelerate his progress, neither are a requirement). Maybe that's what you are alluding to,because he's a latecomer to this level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,647 Posts
    impressive and all as Coleman has been this season, he quite clearly has a lot of room to improve his game. His touch, on occasion, is woeful. His support of the man with the ball is poor sometimes too. But overall he is a breath of fresh air and i hope he can carry his form through to next season and beyond.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,329 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    impressive and all as Coleman has been this season, he quite clearly has a lot of room to improve his game. His touch, on occasion, is woeful. His support of the man with the ball is poor sometimes too. But overall he is a breath of fresh air and i hope he can carry his form through to next season and beyond.
    First time I saw him play live was with the U21s VS Armenia about a year ago, but I didn't realise it was him until the end of the game. At one point, he went to trap a pass with his right foot under no pressure at all, but it rebounded off his left leg and went out for a throw.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Is that just one example, or are you suggesting he has come on since then? Or are you just backing up skstus point?

I have seen enough of him but what I have seen of him I have never really noticed a lack of control, quite the opposite which is what I was surprised given his lack of time playing at such a high level.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,329 Posts
    Is that just one example, or are you suggesting he has come on since then? Or are you just backing up skstus point?
    Backing up his point. Overall I thought he was poor on the night, but you could level the same complaint against any one of the Irish players on the night, bar Conor Clifford
    I have seen enough of him but what I have seen of him I have never really noticed a lack of control, quite the opposite which is what I was surprised given his lack of time playing at such a high level.
    Same as myself, from what I have seen of him playing for Everton, and to a lesser extent on loan at Blackpool, his control is quite good.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    My neighbour follows Everton and when I asked him about Coleman his first remark was that he's got a great touch!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    The transfer fee was a steal and the glee around that, irritated me.
    The player was 20 years old when he was signed. He had enough ability to garner attention from english clubs or/and the wherewithal to learn the rest.
    The transfer contract could easily have been topped up with add ons of €500k -1m, depending on appearances.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Pulled out of the squad due to ankle injury. Pity useful option from the bench gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,647 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    My neighbour follows Everton and when I asked him about Coleman his first remark was that he's got a great touch!
    Not sure if you mean that your neighbour lives in Liverpool and actually attends most of their games but i have seen a lot of Evertons games on tv/internet as i follow them myself. Check out even just last weeks game at Fulham which backs up both points i was making.

Dont get me wrong, im not saying it is a crippling deficiency and happens everytime he gets a pass. Its just, ocassionally, the "rawness" shows through.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    Read the article - arguably a bit of an unflattering assessment of Sligo from Moyes.
    Arguably a bit of an unflattering assessment of Sligo from Coleman

"It’s not just that, (it’s) the everyday training sessions with top-quality players. If you’re not going to get better, you’re not going to stay training with them so you’ve got to get better every day in training. That’s what has helped really, just training with those players every day."

Today's Examiner

It's just to be expected: train more, train harder and with better players and you'll get better. Credit to the LOI for getting these players to where they were but let's not get all chippy and say that acknowledging improvement is a slur on the LOI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    let's not get all chippy and say that acknowledging improvement is a slur on the LOI.
    Exactly. In fairness, even when Saurez joined Liverpool and Dzeko joined Man City, the main question was whether or not they'd be able to make the step up to a higher level. I'm sure Moyes had question marks himself over the likes of Fellaini and Bilyaletdinov from so called lesser leagues and Cahill and Beckford from lower divisions. Of course he's going to see the LOI as a nothing level in comparison. He could probably have been a little bit more diplomatic in his wording, but his main point was correct I think.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Don't know if it's been mentioned already, but Irish Times reporting that coleman is out of the squad.

However, while Duff was able to join in with his team-mates at Malahide this morning, defenders Sean St Ledger and Seamus Coleman were missing once again with knee and ankle injuries respectively. Following further assessment, Coleman was later withdrawn from the squad, which is now down to 25.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soc...292998334.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Don't know if it's been mentioned already, but Irish Times reporting that coleman is out of the squad.
    that utterly sucks.
    zombie/thread killer..

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Seamus is on the shortlist for PFA young player of the year. Assume it will be Bale or Wilshere who wins but good to see him there. No sign of McCarthy, though thats not a surprise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Great to see him mentioned in that kind of company.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    Seamus is on the shortlist for PFA young player of the year. Assume it will be Bale or Wilshere who wins but good to see him there. No sign of McCarthy, though thats not a surprise.
    I think he is up for the Scottish Young Player of the Year Award.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,647 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    Great to see him mentioned in that kind of company.
    a welshman and a chav? Whatever floats yer boat TCM...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    nominated for PFA young player of the year accross the water. well deserved

Page 40 of 119 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast