Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 96 of 119 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 2379

Thread: Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I can't believe anybody could suggest with a straight face Di Maria isn't world class. If he's not world class then nobody other than Messi or Ronaldo is.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I can't believe anybody could suggest with a straight face Di Maria isn't world class. If he's not world class then nobody other than Messi or Ronaldo is.
    no, there are quite a few world class players other than messi and Ronaldo but di maria certainly isn't one of them. completely overhyped and his season at man utd to date is a prime example.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    He was certainly world class in his final season at Real Madrid. Indeed many highlighted him as Madrid's most important player.
    really?, in a season that Ronaldo scored over 50 goals including 17 in the champions lge? I must have missed something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    no, there are quite a few world class players other than messi and Ronaldo but di maria certainly isn't one of them. completely overhyped and his season at man utd to date is a prime example.

really?, in a season that Ronaldo scored over 50 goals including 17 in the champions lge? I must have missed something.
    di Maria had the most assists in the Primera Liga that season, and was MOTM in the Champions League final.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Obviously he's had a difficult season in England, after an excellent start. Other than Messi/Ronaldo/Suarez/Neymar, who would you consider world class? I think Di Maria would certainly slot into the next bracket comfortably enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Obviously he's had a difficult season in England, after an excellent start. Other than Messi/Ronaldo/Suarez/Neymar, who would you consider world class? I think Di Maria would certainly slot into the next bracket comfortably enough.
    hazard, kroos, lahm, muller, neur, robben....

players who can put a real stamp on a game. di maria rarely does so

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Fair enough... we're miles apart on this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Yep. Google is your friend on that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    In fairness, Ronaldo was clearly Real's most important player over the season, but Di Maria turned it on in the CL final when Ronaldo, and to a lesser extent, Bale, didn't. The real hero was Sergio Ramos though, beast.

I reckon Argentina would have won the WC also, only for Di Maria's injury. He would have taken a lot of the heat off Messi and given Germany a lot more to think about.

Or maybe if they had Coleman right back instead of Zabaleta, he'd have cut out that ball for Gotze.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 15/07/2015 at 12:00 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    No doubt Coleman would have bettered Zabaleta.
    Zabaleta is a 2-penalties-waiting-to-happen full back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    No doubt Coleman would have bettered Zabaleta.
    Zabaleta is a 2-penalties-waiting-to-happen full back.
    Did POS take over your account?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I don't get why you think LVG would prefer continentals of equal ability to Irish players, that would be anti-Irish, no other way of wording it really. And there's nothing to back it up, even if Darmian and Coleman are of similar ability, it only emphasises the point of Darmian being better value at half the price.
    I think players from certain countries carry more cachet than players from Ireland. Darmian could well turn out to be better than Coleman - I wait with bated breath - but the fact is that Coleman has more International experience, infinitely more Premier League experience and even as much European experience as Darmian does. Coleman is also - at 26 years old - coming into his peak years. United have been burned a few times spending money on young players: Smalling, Jones, Shaw, so it's bemusing as to why they would be reticent to spend £25-£35m on a proven player for a problem position.

I don't think the argument that Darmian costs less money carries as much weight when you read reports of United being willing to spend transfer fees between £50-70m on Thomas Muller and Sergio Ramos. They have had no problems spending ridiculous money on Schneiderlin, Shaw, Jones, Smalling and Fellaini. At least Coleman is worth 25-30m. I don't know if you can say that about some of those other players I mentioned in proportion to their talents.

Then on the other side of the coin, I can see Coleman has less resale value than Darmian and is locked into a four-year contract with harder negotiators than Torino. I can see that too. I thought it showed a lack of foresight from Coleman to sign a contract of that length at the time.

Who knows? Maybe we are all overrating Coleman and he isn't that good. You would think if he was as good as we all think he is, some top 4 team from England, Italy, Spain, Germany or France would come in for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It's worth considering that United have done their homework, identified the type of player the want, and Darmian is simply a better fit than Coleman. Time will prove them right or wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I thought it showed a lack of foresight from Coleman to sign a contract of that length at the time.
    Really? I think it is probably one of the best career decisions an irish player has made in recent memory. Stability and success are both assured with Everton. Not having a player at one of the "big" clubs is not the worst thing in todays premier league world in fairness.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Southampton 0-3 Everton. Assist from Coleman for Everton's third. Long started but was pretty poor.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Back to the bench then!

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    Watching Darmian for United yesterday and Coleman for Everton today, it struck me just how dissimilar they are as players. Darmian is all defence and is very good. Coleman is clearly a more attacking full/wing back and is very good at both. Granted, I can't judge Darmians style on the one game I've seen of him but I think that VanG made a decision (if they were truly considering a bid for Coleman) based on what he feels the team needed for the season. I love what Coleman brings to Everton.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Exactly. Footballing reasons, always the best criteria to use when purchasing a player. Darmian isn't shy in bombing forward either though normally but didn't do much of it last night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Two games is a bit quick to make a judgment on this one.

I retain the opinion that if Seamus Coleman was an England international and not an Ireland international he would be playing for Man Utd right now. That is what irks me. They have no problem paying what they would need to pay for Coleman to pay for players like Luke Shaw and Marouane Fellaini. When Coleman is the answer to their RB problems staring back at them, that's when they go to the continent to buy a cheaper option.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I retain the opinion that if Seamus Coleman was an England international and not an Ireland international he would be playing for Man Utd right now. That is what irks me.
    But that is a natural consequence of England being the be-all and end-all for Irish footballers.

Page 96 of 119 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast