Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 64 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 2378

Thread: Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'd probably have agreed a year ago when Evra seemed to be on a sharp decline, but he's been one of their best players this season and I don't see the utility in spending the £30 million it will cost to bring in Baines when he won't even be a guaranteed starter.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    If i was asked to pick 2 full backs out of Baines, Evra, Rafael & Coleman I would go with Baines and Coleman without doubt. The 2 of them have been exceptional this season.

3. Thanks From:

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the bear View Post
    If i was asked to pick 2 full backs out of Baines, Evra, Rafael & Coleman I would go with Baines and Coleman without doubt. The 2 of them have been exceptional this season.
    I would agree. I think Evra is well passed his best and although he scored a few goals this season i think his defending is poor compared to two seasons back. I also think Coleman is every bit as good as Rafael although he is still young so could improve but at the moment Coleman for me.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It's a tough comparison I think. Baines and Coleman are pretty flashy players so they look fantastic on a highlights reel. That's not to say they haven't been excellent but they aren't really subject to the same scrutiny as Evra and Rafael. Evra definitely improved on his 2011/12 form, possibly due to the recruitment of Buttner. Rafael, for me, has had an outstanding season and would be a bit more seasoned than Coleman right now at the very top level.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 22/05/2013 at 2:02 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Luke Shaw linked to United today. The case for United signing a 28 year-old left back is weakened when you take into account the performances of Shaw and Ben Davies this season.

I think Rafael's age profile and quality, as well as Smalling and Jones' ability to play to cover right-back without there being anything close to a hole left at centre-back (Evans, Vidic, Ferdinand) mean that Coleman to United is a non-runner. Unless Rafael gets whisked off to Real or Barca.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Although i think Coleman is better than any of United's right backs, i agree i doesn't really make much sense for them to go after him given the strength they have there. I have to say though Seamus has really looked the part this year. I was never fully convinced of his quality before this season but ever since he has claimed the right back spot for Everton he has been amazing. I hope he is given the freedom to attack playing for Ireland because that is where his biggest strength lies, he looks like a nightmare to play against. In my opinion he is the best player at our disposal.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    The interviewer sure is a happy character!!

Always thought that McShane was a bit of a character and does seem well liked by the others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Four lights is always the right answer. Good man Seamie.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Goooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllla!!!!!! !!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFhG9KZMMM4

Stick him up front Trap!!!!

Too be fair, I expect Long would have put that one away.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 17/08/2013 at 4:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Coleman interviewed by FIFA.com: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/prelimi...witter_fifacom

At the end of the Republic of Ireland’s recent friendly, the captain’s armband was worn by 24-year-old Seamus Coleman. There might not be anything remarkable about that statement on first glance. Coleman is an established Premier League player with Everton who made his international debut two years ago and has helped Blackpool win promotion to the Premier League.

Yet when one considers that for the first 17 years of his life, a completely different sport was his first choice, then his tale becomes all the more interesting.

“Gaelic football was my first love until I was about 18,” Coleman told FIFA.com. “I played at all the underage levels and was a big part of the county scene. I was quite successful and really enjoyed it. But then I had to make the decision on whether I should become a full-time professional with Sligo Rovers or stick as an amateur and play Gaelic. I thought it was a chance worth taking and fortunately it’s worked out well for me. But that said, the roots of the Gaelic game has helped me: it’s a rough and tumble sport. If you get hit you get back up and it’s made me a fit lad.”

The path that the Everton right-back has walked down is one which was shared by the likes of Brad Friedel, who excelled at both hockey and basketball in Ohio, while Johan Neeskens voted ‘best batter’ when playing at the European Youth Baseball Championships in the 1960s, and Peter Schmeichel perfected his huge throw while playing handball in his native Denmark.

Coleman’s dual-discipline upbringing meant that his skills were not developed at a professional academy, but he believes that this hasn’t placed him at a disadvantage.

“From a young age lads are tirelessly being taught the technical side to the game which I definitely missed out on and that would have been a great help to me,” he continued. “But when I joined Everton I’d played 50 senior games, which a lot of young lads don’t. Playing for Sligo, which is only 90 minutes away from my home town, I was able to go back and do silly things like going to my own prom. All that makes a difference because I know if I went over to England earlier I would have struggled with homesickness. I’m glad the way I did it, because I think I took a lot over that maybe you wouldn’t have got in an academy.”

The family way

Coleman’s footballing skills were honed on the streets of Killybegs in County Donegal, in matches for local side St. Catherine’s, for ‘The Killers’ - the team that represented his estate - and by his family, notably his older brother Stevie, who is an Irish international himself.

Stevie, who has cerebral palsy, was a bronze medal winner at the 2003 Special Olympics, which is supported by FIFA through the Football for Hope initiative.

“That was a great tournament and it was brilliant for him,” recalled Seamus. “We all went out to support him – there were big opening and closing ceremonies and he had a big homecoming in Killybegs for doing so well. I also had a homecoming when Blackpool won the play-off, but he was pleased to point out that there were more people for his than there were for mine!

“Stevie’s a striker – and a good one too. He loves his football, but he’s 38 now, so we’re trying to tell him to hang up his boots. He’s having none of it though. He’s always quick to remind me that he’s the first international in the family and that he taught me everything I know. To be fair, he used to take me down to the local pitch when I was a boy. He’d stand in goal and I’d take shots at him.”

Coleman has the chance to emulate his big brother by representing the Republic of Ireland in an international tournament, with the 2014 FIFA World Cup™ in Brazil just around the corner. However, they must first make it out of a tough Group C which currently sees Germany top with 16 points and Austria, Sweden and the boys in green all five points behind.

“Next month’s games against Sweden and Austria are going to be massive,” said Coleman. “I think that the outcome of those matches will have a massive impact come the end of the campaign. We’re fortunate to have a very experienced coach in Giovanni Trapattoni to guide us through it. We’re working for a man who has been through it all, he’s seen it all. He’s more tactically defensive, so I’ve learned a lot from that. Hopefully we’ll be able to get to a World Cup under him.

“My goal is to in international football is to get to a major tournament and play a part in it – and to represent Ireland at a World Cup would be amazing. It’s something every footballer strives to do. You want to play for your country and you definitely want to play for your country in a World Cup. We all want to be there playing against the best players in the world.”

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Seamus is an absolute gem of a playeer. Nice to see Jamie Mac and Seamus beginning to become the leaders of the team.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    I respect him even more learning about his older brother there. Excellent stuff.

Coleman is a gem is right. Goal-scoring start to the season augurs very well and if he can keep going like he finished last season then he's in for a cracker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Martinez: I love Colemans full package.
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...l-back-5781147
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Just hit the bar with a mi**** cross. Also had a decent effort in the first half cutting in off his wing. West Brom have barely had a sniff all game but still 0-0.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    hee hee mi**** is a swear!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    But Scunthorpe United get away scot-free?

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    A what cross??

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Mis-hit