Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 51 of 119 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 2378

Thread: Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The Sky commentator says Seamus Coleman has looked excellent for somebody playing out of position who would much rather be playing further forward.
    You'd wonder why commentators come out with those kind of fallacious statements. Coleman constantly states his preference for right-back, which is probably his best position. He's quite good on the right side of midfield in a 4-4-2 but right-back is his spot.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I didn't watch the game, but I heard that Mirallas was rampant on the right wing. Are we to take it that Coleman is now going to move to right back and Mirallas will become the new right midfield player?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Tha would be a real Seamus.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Not that much of a Seamus I think he could have a bright future for us at right back although
    I can't say I have seen a lot of him in that position in the defensive role, but he is surely as good as we have got
    and defensively and probably the pick of the bunch on the offence?

Indeed he is the top rated (available) Irish player (95th) in these stats:-
    http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252...ague-2012-2013

(at the moment anyway) at least of those listed as Irish, Marc Wilson is rated above him at 80th but is listed as English!!!

As (bad) luck would have it Marc Wilson's preferred position is also right back!!! (think he played left back today though).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    A savage bit of wing play today for Everton's third.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Yes, I just went to have anther look at it but unfortunately my video recorder has managed to lose that segment of play!!!

It's just one of those cheap USB DVB sticks I use to record to my computer and that is one of it's annoying little features, along
    with the fact the volume control is not separately adjustable from other sound streams.

Could get another one for just £6 from China but knowing my luck it would have the same problems!!
    Will have to see if I can find footage on-line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrigaline View Post
    I didn't watch the game, but I heard that Mirallas was rampant on the right wing. Are we to take it that Coleman is now going to move to right back and Mirallas will become the new right midfield player?
    Mirallas was electric. He's looked OK in previous matches but yesterday he looked a real player.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    A savage bit of wing play today for Everton's third.
    And to think that he'll be just a spectator for the Germany game. Also to think that Wilson won't get a look in and there's a 50-50 chance McLean may not see too much action either. Three players in top form in the EPL who won't figure against Germany. And you might as well throw away the creative talents of Hoolahan as well.

That's because we have so many better options like Stephen Ward, Whelan, O'Dea and if things go wrong there is always the insurance of McShane.

Yeah, Trap really knows what he's doing!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    You LOVE ODea, Mark. He's really not that good.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    And to think that he'll be just a spectator for the Germany game. Also to think that Wilson won't get a look in and there's a 50-50 chance McLean may not see too much action either. Three players in top form in the EPL who won't figure against Germany. And you might as well throw away the creative talents of Hoolahan as well.

That's because we have so many better options like Stephen Ward, Whelan, O'Dea and if things go wrong there is always the insurance of McShane.

Yeah, Trap really knows what he's doing!

He does know what he's doing. Kerr had Duff and Robbie in their prime and coudln't qualify. Same with Stan. Trap got us to within a few minutes of going to penalties against France, one of the top teams in the world, to decide who would get to the World Cup. He got us to the Euros with an absolutely terrible team, save for Dunne. Hats off for Trap. I don't like O'Dea in the team over Clark but he does know what he's doing.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    He does know what he's doing. Kerr had Duff and Robbie in their prime and coudln't qualify. Same with Stan. Trap got us to within a few minutes of going to penalties against France, one of the top teams in the world, to decide who would get to the World Cup. He got us to the Euros with an absolutely terrible team, save for Dunne. Hats off for Trap. I don't like O'Dea in the team over Clark but he does know what he's doing.
    Sorry to disagree but he doesn't know what he's doing!

To give him his due, he was a great manager with different teams down through the years and deserves credit for a great managerial career. But this Ireland team is a nut he just can't crack. Granted we don't have the technical acumen of those other teams Trap has coached, but Trap's efforts to compensate for that are coming up short, way short.

What he doesn't realise is that we are a country with such a small pool of talent that we cannot afford to leave out out better players for some perceived 'system'. I mentioned the few players who will likely not get playing time against Germany, but I forgot to include Shane Long. Would you put your life savings on him starting against Germany? He is the best forward we have right now, yet he too will fall foul of the famous 'system'.

Look, I'll take my hat off to you and say I was wrong if it turns out to be a good day against the Germans. But I think you and I both know Trap's 'system' team will be picked to pieces at the Aviva. I would be delighted to be proved wrong though.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I don't like O'Dea in the team over Clark but he does know what he's doing.
    It's interesting how some people are all too quick to castigate Clark and state that he's not ready to play centre-back at international level, in some sort of Trap Knows Best campaign.

Can anyone honestly state that Darren O'Dea is a Premier League centre-half? How many Championship managers have deemed him unworthy of places in their squads?

The reality is that, in the Premier League, Clark is likely to be facing, on a regular basis, the calibre of striker that he'd come up against at international level. A calibre that is a damn sight better than that O'Dea was marshalling against Kazakhstan. Fair enough, there's Klose, Podolski and Ibrahimovic to be faced, but I am not very comfortable about the prospect of O'Dea doing so.

It's an interesting old situation we find ourselves in. McShane would most likely be preferred to Coleman at right-back by Trap, O'Dea and St. Ledger preferred to Clark and Ward preferred to Wilson. In all three cases, the preferred choices are older and playing at lower levels.

Furthermore, at centre-half, Pearce and O'Shea are both playing regularly in the Premier League and are often undisputed starters. Joey O'Brien is getting a game at West Ham and Stephen Kelly at Fulham, though I think Kelly would be preferred to McShane, the same cannot be said of O'Brien.

I'm not saying Trap's judgement is wrong in every case because O'Dea and St. Ledger haven't been bad for Ireland. It's just interesting that Trap deems certain players unworthy of a start, while the Premier League managers such as Rodgers (okay, Pearce isn't around long enough), O'Neill (in the context of O'Shea at centre-half), Allardyce, Pulis and Moyes give game time to these players, while some of his preferred choices have been shunned in recent by Jewell (O'Dea), Warnock (O'Dea), Steve Bruce (McShane) and Pearson (St. Ledger).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Sorry to disagree but he doesn't know what he's doing!
    ...... but Trap's efforts to compensate for that are coming up short, way short.
    again....

he almost got us to the WC in 2010 drawing with the current world champions twice along the way and only missed out against one of the world powers in a very dubious play-off loss. he then manages us to our first euros in 24 years when far better squads failed under other managers. we are unbeaten away from home in all our qualifiers under Trap. but yes, you are right "he doesnt know what he's doing" and is falling "way short".

both these statements are ridiculous beyond words.

fans and media alike in other countires laugh at us when they hear about the abuse Trap gets in this country. we have a dreadfuly ordinary team but unlike our near neighbours scotland and wales for example, who arguably have better players than us, we are still in with a chance of qualifying less than 4 weeks into the campaign
    Last edited by jbyrne; 01/10/2012 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Not that much of a Seamus I think he could have a bright future for us at right back although
    I can't say I have seen a lot of him in that position in the defensive role, but he is surely as good as we have got
    and defensively and probably the pick of the bunch on the offence?

Indeed he is the top rated (available) Irish player (95th) in these stats:-
    http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252...ague-2012-2013

(at the moment anyway) at least of those listed as Irish, Marc Wilson is rated above him at 80th but is listed as English!!!

As (bad) luck would have it Marc Wilson's preferred position is also right back!!! (think he played left back today though).
    I awlays thought Wilson preferred playing in the centre of midfield. He's left-footed anyway, and has always played on the left for Stoke, we've had Huth, Wilkinson, and now Cameron as right backs since he signed for us. Very rare for him to play there, but he is very comfortable on the left.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Sligo may be "professional" in Irish terms but he has only being professional about 3.7 years. He himself and moyes admitted as much.

What a spanner!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Sligo may be "professional" in Irish terms but he has only being professional about 3.7 years. He himself and moyes admitted as much.
    Have you a direct quote of that? Because that's complete and utter shi*e. Just because it's a bit of rise in standard and the crowds are bigger doesn't mean they're any more professional.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt & everywhere in between
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David Moyes
    "He's had no real footballing experience at this level, or any level at all, very little full-time training and very little technical work so we hope there is going to be more improvement.
    Think this the quote he was talkin about.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle716362.html
    "U've figured how to work the Google on the internet machine"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    What a d!ckhead. I used to like David Moyes.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    LOI is not the highest standard lads. Don't be offended.

Page 51 of 119 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast