Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 50 of 120 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 2389

Thread: Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    Coleman at LB? He can barely play RB.
    ok, what i meant was that we have better options in the back 4 with coleman and wilson. having coleman at right back would free O'Shea for LB for example where he played for years with utd.
    he was good at RB for everton saturday from what i saw.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I think a full back should be able to play on either side comfortably enough. There is no excuse for a professional footballer not being able to kick off both feet

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Coleman hardly had an orthodox path to professional football.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    What difference does that make?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the bear View Post
    I think a full back should be able to play on either side comfortably enough. There is no excuse for a professional footballer not being able to kick off both feet
    I agree with you but its all theoretical. The reality is that the ability to use both feet equally would appear to be the exception rather than the rule. Its surprising and a little bizarre considering all the time these guys have to work on their game but when you look at the likes of Ryan Giggs for example - Medals & Trophies coming out of his ears, Player of the Year awards etc.etc... but ask him to deliver using his right foot and he struggles. (cue someone digging up a youtube clip of Giggs scoring a screamer with his right peg )

Anyway, hopefully you get my point, if we stick a RB or predominantly right side player in at LB we are asking for trouble.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    (cue someone digging up a youtube clip of Giggs scoring a screamer with his right peg )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEAouJwTYlU&t=1m40s
    You can't spell failure without FAI

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I agree with you but its all theoretical. The reality is that the ability to use both feet equally would appear to be the exception rather than the rule. Its surprising and a little bizarre considering all the time these guys have to work on their game but when you look at the likes of Ryan Giggs for example - Medals & Trophies coming out of his ears, Player of the Year awards etc.etc... but ask him to deliver using his right foot and he struggles. (cue someone digging up a youtube clip of Giggs scoring a screamer with his right peg )

Anyway, hopefully you get my point, if we stick a RB or predominantly right side player in at LB we are asking for trouble.
    My point is that if you are a capable RB, with good positioning sense, tackling & footballing ability. All of those skills are easily transferrable to LB regardless of if your left foot is a strong as your right. As a LB you can still use your favoured right foot the majority of the time. But when called upon to use your left (which could also happen at RB) any pro footballer should be comfortable enough to do so.

Regarding your last line there about sticking a right sided player in at LB we are asking for trouble. Denis Irwin.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    My point is that if you are a capable RB, with good positioning sense, tackling & footballing ability. All of those skills are easily transferrable to LB regardless of if your left foot is a strong as your right. As a LB you can still use your favoured right foot the majority of the time. But when called upon to use your left (which could also happen at RB) any pro footballer should be comfortable enough to do so.

Regarding your last line there about sticking a right sided player in at LB we are asking for trouble. Denis Irwin.
    Oh great, I didnt realise we had a Denis Irwin equivalent knocking around - In that case, point him out and I'd have no reservations about sticking him in at LB As I said in my earlier post, I agree with what you are saying in principal however the first choice options we have at LB or RB at the moment are either playing out of position (JOSH) currently not looking to be up to the task (Ward) or without experience (Coleman, Wilson, Clark etc...) or a mixture of all those. Stephen Kelly played LB last time out and imo didnt look comfortable at all.

I guess what you are saying is pick our best two full backs - and then just slot one it a LB and one it at RB - Might not be a bad idea in all honesty!!

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    8 on his Left and 3 on his Right - That is actually a better right footed ratio than I expected for sure!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I guess what you are saying is pick our best two full backs - and then just slot one it a LB and one it at RB - Might not be a bad idea in all honesty!!
    Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't think Kelly looks comfortable at international level at all. On current form our best 2 FB's would be Coleman & Wilson. I would suggest that no experience is better than experience of being muck.

Point taken on Denis Irwin, he was one of the best FB's I will ever see play. The logic remains the same though (Finnan, O'Shea, Wilson)

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Playing right back again tonight against Leeds. Hopefully he can seize his chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Coleman hardly had an orthodox path to professional football.
    He's been playing professional football for the last 5 years

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Sligo may be "professional" in Irish terms but he has only being professional about 3.7 years. He himself and moyes admitted as much.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    210 Posts
    Played at right back yesterday evening. Everton's midfield left the defence exposed, so they had a tough time of it, but Coleman won't be happy to have given away the free kick for the second goal. But on the bright side, at least that will have increased his chances of playing at right back for Ireland, if Ward's inclusion is anything to go by.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts
    I thought the free kick was poor from him, he went after a ball when he shouldn't have been so hasty and got spun, then he very nearly gave away a pen in trying to recover it, it was right on the line. I thought in another attack he chose to go with a runner inside the area rather than close down the ball and it opened up a clear sight of goal for the ball carrier from which he worked the keeper. I hope he can keep his place for Saturday Vs Southampton after it.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'd imagine he will keep his place. Moyes could easily have reshuffled when he brought Jelavic on, pushing Neville back and putting Anichebe into midfield, but he chose to make a like-for-like swap.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    What difference does that make?
    We prefer Catholic Christians to the Orthodox type!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Continues at right back today against Southampton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Fantastic run and cross to set up Jelavic to make it 3-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The Sky commentator says Seamus Coleman has looked excellent for somebody playing out of position who would much rather be playing further forward.

Page 50 of 120 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast