Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IBEC ESB and Energy Costs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

IBEC ESB and Energy Costs

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0130/pay.html

IBEC have been showed up to be bluffers on this issue. The ESB like any profit making organisation has given the increases just like any other profit making firms in IBEC. IBEC are not involved in a major back tracking. In relation to the pay talks all the media have concentrated on the unions but it is IBEC whose members have us in the situation we are in and they are the ones trying to call the shots and hold the country to ransom and the journalists are letting them away with it.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    In Trap we trust

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    High energy costs are a key issue under discussion today at the social partnership talks in Government Buildings.
    Amazing how the Government can debate such a thing, given they raised prices themselves because no-one would come into the market to compete at the rate when only the ESB were around. Sums up my derision of "pro competition" arguments in general really. An awful lot of privatisation seems to have been about taking things away from Governments to make a select few individuals very rich. Course, no-one will address this real issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    You have hit the nail on the head there stu. Well said.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Are posts like that allowed in this forum?

My dad works in the ESB; drives him mad the amount of bull**** that's spouted on this topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Just imagine how mad he'd be if he worked in the football business
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    I kind of work in the football business, and am completely mad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Do we actually have any competition in electricity generation or supply?

I presume the ESB will maintain the network as can't really have multiple network suppliers. I know there are other companies that generate electricity in Ireland & a few business targetted retailers.

72k average ESB salary sounds a lot but not much compared to 500k+ salary for CEO. If there was alternative to the ESB the company can pay its staff all it likes but when no real choice all wage increases are going to feed into customers bills.

ESB CEO doing great job

PROBLEMS with the cooling tower at an ESB power plant in Kerry have meant that 14 workers have been turning up for work every day for the last five months, but have nothing to do.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Do we actually have any competition in electricity generation or supply?
    People getting their power through Bord Gas get a 10% discount so at least there is a small piece of competition

Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Airtricity have a "10% off ESB prices" offer at the moment too. I emailed to ask if there's a minimum term; they didn't reply. So they can bite me.

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    ESB has 40 per cent of the total market. Other companies are not really interested in the domestic market and they want to make their money purely from the commercial market. I do not think they are interested in supplying electricity to someone in West Kerry or North Donegal.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery Rover View Post
    People getting their power through Bord Gas get a 10% discount so at least there is a small piece of competition
    I believe one market they have targeted is apartment complexes (I suppose they qualify as business) so we will probably move to them.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I do not think they are interested in supplying electricity to someone in West Kerry or North Donegal.
    Location has no bearing, their competitors have no infrastructural requirement. They're just resellers. Unless I'm missing something, which happens quite often.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    ESB has 40 per cent of the total market. Other companies are not really interested in the domestic market and they want to make their money purely from the commercial market. I do not think they are interested in supplying electricity to someone in West Kerry or North Donegal.
    Spot on. There are six electricity suppliers in Ireland. Although this -

Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Location has no bearing, their competitors have no infrastructural requirement. They're just resellers. Unless I'm missing something, which happens quite often.
    - is a slight correction on your post. It's not location, it's quantity that the "competitors" are interested in, which is why the other five suppliers are almost exclusively in the corporate market. The ESB was also forced to sell electricity at an artificially low price to competitors, who could then re-sell it at a price which undercut the ESB, all in the name of competition. Absolutely ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Just put the location in to bring home a point thats all. Its like private bus companies only wanting to run the Dublin City Centre to Swords route etc.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Technically, location is less important with electricity as isolation doesn't really increase costs much; the bus analogy isn't exactly accurate as there's extra costs in sending a bus out to Enniskerry at 1pm and then finding no-one wants to use it, whereas the electricity network is already set up.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I believe we all pay something called "public service levy" or similar to subsidise the provision of electricity to hermits living half way up mountains. Something like that anyway.

Bring back Rocketman!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I could only laugh when I heard the ESB claim they are not allowed to reduce their prices. AFAIK the ESB make their price change submissions to the Regulator & he tells them how much of a change they are allowed. If the ESB really cared about reducing prices they would just submit a request to the Regulator & when he refuses they could just point the finger at him.

Now some level of competition from Bord Gais & Airtricity it really doesn't matter what the ESB do with their wages.

Airtricity look interesting but as said above nothing mentioned about the 10% reduction term. That said they have a good pricing section much better than the other suppliers. Once I make a decision I will definitely move from the ESB - their recent "estimated" bills have been huge. It is supposed to be easy to switch & no locked in contracts but with estimated readings seems like a bit of hassling changing too often.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    If the ESB really cared about reducing prices they would just submit a request to the Regulator & when he refuses they could just point the finger at him.
    Yeah pete, semi-state bodies do that all the time. Politics be damned, job suicide rocks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I could only laugh when I heard the ESB claim they are not allowed to reduce their prices. AFAIK the ESB make their price change submissions to the Regulator & he tells them how much of a change they are allowed. If the ESB really cared about reducing prices they would just submit a request to the Regulator & when he refuses they could just point the finger at him.

Now some level of competition from Bord Gais & Airtricity it really doesn't matter what the ESB do with their wages.

Airtricity look interesting but as said above nothing mentioned about the 10% reduction term. That said they have a good pricing section much better than the other suppliers. Once I make a decision I will definitely move from the ESB - their recent "estimated" bills have been huge. It is supposed to be easy to switch & no locked in contracts but with estimated readings seems like a bit of hassling changing too often.
    A few points:

If the ESB are allowed by regulator to reduce prices the competitors will still have enough margin to undercut them due to the price structure the ESB must sell energy to the new entrants.

We have artificial market competition so the incumbent generator and provider, the ESB are at a distinct competitive disadvantage with the likes of Bord Gais and Airtricity.

As for your meter reading, no matter who you use ESB Networks will still be reading it as neither BG or Airtricity have anyone on the ground so to speak.

Oh for the record I've moved to Bord Gais
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast