Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: How do we rate?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How do we rate?

I'd love to hear other contributors ratings on my quick straw poll.

1) How does Turner's x rate [ 0-10 ] for facilities?

2) How does it compare with other grounds? [ 0-10].

3) Atmosphere rating?

4) Best away fans in the last year?

5) Worst away strip at the X?

6) Funniest moment?

7) Best Goal?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Cross is now a very nice little Stadium, which we cant fill unless a BritishTeam wearing Green comes. City lag behind places like Tolka and Flancare Park but still the cross will be excellent once (if ever, which I doubt) the St. Anne's end is covered. We do have one thing which the rest of the league respects,the athmosphere which is coming back to it's goodself.

Best away fans were probally longford

Worst Away Strip, Bohs second hand Celtic one

Funnies moment at the end of the Mountfield days, when Pats beat us 4-0 the Shed gave up on City and Cheer the lastpats goal while singing "Oh When the Saints", although I heard Éanna and the Lativan Soldier was a good one.

Best Goal, Johnny C -v- Kilkenny
    Oh no not them again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Here goes

We'll start at the start ... best place as any i suppose !!

Numero Uno:

Facilities in the cross, while everything is there, i think it still has a long way to go, It is OK for the crowds we get but if we were to get the crowds we should be getting from the cachement area, It is very poor, plus no flood lights and no lighting if we had floodlights, there is no bar in the ground which would be great for revenue for the club and parking is poor. Facilities is always going to be a rant so i'll stop there.

2: Depends on what you compare it to, If it is the national legue then it is average, with a lot of the grounds in crisis, drastically below average, Gortakeegan (if that is spelt right) What is going on there !!!, compared to the North, Scotland, Norway and other countries which have circa the support we get then it is brutal.

3: Have to say i love the atmosphere in the cross, when it is good, even when it is bad there are some great moments, beats the pub with ManUre fans anyway. **** it, the cross it great but is could get better and it was before. It is what the fans put into it though.

4: Longford, UCD five made alot of noise, Finn Harps took over the St Annes end for a cup game. Hard to say really.

5: Worst away strip had to be Finn Harps green thing, What the fcuk it, what the ****, what .... you know how the rest goes.

6: Been some priceless moments, Most recent "the crow" a lá 451 an attacking formation, Kilkenny (i think) keeper looking for the ball for the goal kick, and someone in the shed shouting "look behind you", piggies on the wall, the trumpeter in the shed, sheeze .... loads of them, this should be a great section for the next posts.

7: Davie Barry's .... Ollies long range against Pats a few weeks ago, i dunno, there have been a few, some of Pat Morley's two years ago to get top scorer in the league. Colin P O'Briens last week was cool. I can remember John Cotter scoring a rocket of a goal. All the important ones were good anyway.

Thats me anyho !!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

flood lights

i noticed that flood lights were mentioned in regards to facitities lacking at the cross, which is not surprising as it seems to come up every year at around this time.
    i agree it would be nice to have them but i wouldn't think that it is a major problem at the moment for the club with the switch to summer soccer coming up. anyway, i wouldn't like too many match to be switched from the sunday at 2.00 fixture, it has worked well for city.
    i think if flood lights were in place it would probably give more options for big munster senior league matchs, but it would be my first priority for development.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts

Re: How do we rate?

From an outsiders perspective (I can only answer a couple):

1) How does Turner's x rate [ 0-10 ] for facilities?

Dirty, smelly food and a ****ant little shop. I'd be afraid to go anywhere near the jacks.

3) Atmosphere rating?

Terrible. Fair-weather fans in the stand, yobs and knackers in the shed.

Seriously now, I am an outsider. But imagine what Turners Cross must look like for a first-timer, or worse, someone from across the water?
    For most of the matches I went to, and I'll admit that's not a whole lot, the atmosphere for the most part was pathetic, you had hardly anything coming from the stand, and a bit of shouting at high and low points and a few songs coming from the shed, a good portion of which were racist or sectarian. I saw missiles being fired at the pitch and the players, and the shed holding onto the football like it was a toy for them to play with. All of this in front of children, who don't know any better and I imagine went away with just another little bit of innocence ground away.

Can you imagine a premiership fan coming across the water and deciding to pop up to the local ground to see a game of footie while he was away? Or a parent deciding to take Little Johnny to his first match?

It's a disgrace. But then Irish soccer is a disgrace. Has been since I started working with Cork City FC, and if anything it's even worse now.

adam

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    1. Turners X
    Huge improvement made over past 10 years, remember grassy banks? Needs floodlights, new shops, bar and toilets.

2. It ranks in top 6 grounds in country. That says a lot!

3. Atmosphere is good when crowd is there. Pitty about excessive use of bad language in The Shed. Doesn't help to bring back families with young children if all they can hear is bad language.

4. Has to be Finn Harps, by a mile.

5. Bohs away strip!

6. I can remember at macth in early 90's when Alex Ludzic stood in for Biscuits. Somebody in The Shed threw some loo roll and it fell beside him. He picked it up and pretended to wipe his arse !!

7. Greg O'Halloran 25yrd volley from the right hand side, about 2 seasons ago. I think it was against UCD. RTE had it on camera and it was fantastic.
    One may smile and smile and be a villan!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Re: How do we rate?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vetinari
    3) Atmosphere rating?

Terrible. Fair-weather fans in the stand, yobs and knackers in the shed.

Yobs and knackers? how highly you think of your clientele here adam?! I am one of many sheddies who visit this site, but if that's your attitude I may well reconsider. As for the suggestion that a good portion of the chants are racist or sectarian? Name me ONE racist chant that has ever been sung by any more than 5 scumbags at one time? Sectarian? IRA chants are what you're getting at here, i presume. Many people support the republican movement without supporting all their petty hatreds or approving of their methods.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Unhappy Knock the shed!

IRA chants are what you're getting at here, i presume. Many people support the republican movement without supporting all their petty hatreds or approving of their methods.
    Well why not shout "Sinn Fein" then?

I have not noticed "IRA" been added to the chants of any other supporters in the country & hate to hear it in the shed

I only tend to go to the shed for the bigger games when Moses & his kids are out number for this very reason. I'd be delighted with the shed was knocked down & a proper terrace/stand replaced it all the way across that side of the ground! As some else said before "the sheds bed baby the sheds dead..."
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Knock the shed!

Originally posted by rebel

As some else said before "the sheds bed baby the sheds dead..."
    Rebel's got sleeping and beds on the brain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts

Re: Re: Re: How do we rate?

Yobs and knackers? how highly you think of your clientele here adam?! I am one of many sheddies who visit this site, but if that's your attitude I may well reconsider.

It was an overstatement to draw a reaction Éanna, and it looks like it worked, eh? If you tell me that you don't think a number of the people in the back right (as you're looking at it) of the Shed aren't yobs and knackers, as well as in another few places scattered throughout the ground, well, I'll make another overstatement to draw a reaction - you're a liar.

They're hooligans, they're there to create mischief, plain and simple, and the Shed would be a hell of a lot better off without them. And that's a reaction from someone who *has* been to a few games - imagine the reaction from a newbie, who, for example, took their child to see their local team play a game of football for the first time. Yes, the Shed isn't the best place to take a child, but it shouldn't be like that.

As to your "threat" to stop visiting the site, that's a very childish statement to make. It seems to have been patently obvious to everyone else here that I was making an overstatement. How come you're the only one who felt the need to respond with "outrage". That's because there *is* a yob element in the crowd at Turners Cross, and everyone knows it. I don't *like* those people. I'd be a hell of a lot more inclined to go to games if they weren't there.

As for the suggestion that a good portion of the chants are racist or sectarian? Name me ONE racist chant that has ever been sung by any more than 5 scumbags at one time? Sectarian? IRA chants are what you're getting at here, i presume. Many people support the republican movement without supporting all their petty hatreds or approving of their methods.

What, are you fscking *deaf* Éanna. On at least two occassions that I've been at Turners Cross, I've heard monkey noises being made at black players, which absolutely *disgusted* me. Worse, others actually found it funny. And on *every* occassion I've visited the ground, I'm forced to hear the Shed chanting "IRA" when they sing. The fact that it's tolerated is an utter disgrace.

It shouldn't be tolerated by the club, and they should do something about it, but it shouldn't be tolerated by the supporters either.

adam

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Beds

Rebel's got sleeping and beds on the brain
    LOL feck didn't notice that!

Bring back Rocketman!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Lightbulb Davie

Best Player....Gerry McCabe
    While Gerry was great for entertaining the crowd Dave Barry still has to be Citys greatest ever player for me. IMO the team is still looking for a replacement for Davie.

Bring back Rocketman!