Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 rumours re new International and naming rights

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

2 rumours re new International and naming rights

Loathe to start a new thread but 2 rumours over the weekend

1) Sunday Times reported yesterday that Aviva (Hibernian) have won the naming rights for the new Lansdowne and it will be called the Aviva stadium in a €40 million deal. However a reliable source said this is definitely untrue and it is a different company however he wouldn't tell me who.

2) News from Limerick that Thomond Park will host an International in August (football). Same source did claim the cup final was to be played there last year but this is a done deal apparently. I am sceptical and certainly wouldn't recommend booking flights on this basis.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post

1) Sunday Times reported yesterday that Aviva (Hibernian) have won the naming rights for the new Lansdowne and it will be called the Aviva stadium in a €40 million deal. However a reliable source said this is definitely untrue and it is a different company however he wouldn't tell me who.

2) News from Limerick that Thomond Park will host an International in August (football). Same source did claim the cup final was to be played there last year but this is a done deal apparently. I am sceptical and certainly wouldn't recommend booking flights on this basis.
    Considering its the Times, I would suspect that there is some foundation to the story. Aviva sounds alot better than say the Quinn Direct stadium anyways. Wonder how long the 40m would cover - ten years? Nice little earner for IRFU/FAI.

Tribune had the same story re friendly in August. As the capacity would be circa 25k, it is expected that the game will be against a "mid tier" European side. Great idea to have a friendly there imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Considering its the Times, I would suspect that there is some foundation to the story. Aviva sounds alot better than say the Quinn Direct stadium anyways. Wonder how long the 40m would cover - ten years? Nice little earner for IRFU/FAI.

Tribune had the same story re friendly in August. As the capacity would be circa 25k, it is expected that the game will be against a "mid tier" European side. Great idea to have a friendly there imo.
    €40 million is for 10 years with a 5 year extension option according to the ST. Sounds like a great deal to me. Would suit the likes of Aviva trying to establish a brand here. I assume it would just come off the building costs so reduce the amount the FAI (and IRFU) would have to pay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Capacity is 25k with terracing oin three sides of the ground.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I would agree with that , it could be called alot worse

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Would be perfect for a new National Stadium in Madrid!
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Speaking of the Sunday Times and I know I'm going a bit off topic here but does anybody find Hugh Mcillvaney is turning into a pain in the butt? His sentences are extremely long and he uses lots of "big" words - in fact I don't know the meaning of some of them(and I like to think I'm pretty good when it comes to the English language - better spell check here or I'll look stupid). I find him extremely annoying as a result of this and cannot understand why he writes in this way

Anybody else?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    the best communicators are those that use the the simplest, clear and concise wording.

Me thinks he is doing this for effect....
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Purely from an emotional point of view, I don't like the idea of renaming Landsdowne Road with some faceless companies name & it just sounds crass to call it the "Aviva Stadium", but obviously from a pragmatic view it makes sense as a money earner.

I would though like to see the proof that naming a damned stadium has any marketing logic to it, or a return on your investment. I can understand the value to advertising hoardings beside the pitch, or any standard branding of a physical space, but a building? I mean why stop there, why not buy the rights to the name of an actual location?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Terracing's allowed for friendlies, though, isn't it? Always was in Lansdowne.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amaccann View Post
    Purely from an emotional point of view, I don't like the idea of renaming Landsdowne Road with some faceless companies name & it just sounds crass to call it the "Aviva Stadium", but obviously from a pragmatic view it makes sense as a money earner.

I would though like to see the proof that naming a damned stadium has any marketing logic to it, or a return on your investment. I can understand the value to advertising hoardings beside the pitch, or any standard branding of a physical space, but a building? I mean why stop there, why not buy the rights to the name of an actual location?
    I'd imagine we'll all just call the place "Lansdowne" anyway - regardless of whatever Corporate monicker they add in order to secure the few quid.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amaccann View Post
    Its just brand recognition. It only works with new stadiums though. How many people use the term Ashburton Grove for Arsenal's Emirates Stadium? I'd imagine it'll be less than those who use Lansdowne road. However all newspaper articles, TV coverage etc would be instructed to use Aviva so they'd be getting advertising on multiple levels
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Its just brand recognition. It only works with new stadiums though. How many people use the term Ashburton Grove for Arsenal's Emirates Stadium? I'd imagine it'll be less than those who use Lansdowne road. However all newspaper articles, TV coverage etc would be instructed to use Aviva so they'd be getting advertising on multiple levels
    Would one not also assume that due to the stadium being named "Aviva" for example there wont be any advertising for companies like "Quinn" or "VHI" or whoever else are their competitors within the stadium?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Absolutely, but thats standard with all advertising now. You won't find ads for two different brands of the same product anywehre
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,305 Posts
    slightly off topic, but did Carling advertise in Anfield when they sponsored the Premiership, and Liverpool were sponsored by Carslberg?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Mate of mine works for Hibernian/Aviva and they were told back in October that they had won the naming rights for the new stadium

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    There is actually terracing on all 4 sides. Capacity is 26,000 but more than half of that is seating. Terracing is allowed for friendlies anyway.

I've been to quite a few rugby matches there and imo the best place to watch a match from the terracing in front of either stand.

I'd love to have an International match in Limerick.

I would imagine if a deal has been done for the naming rights a company would be keen to have it out there asap. You have the next year and half of free advertising. The naming rights for the main stadium for the most popular and 3rd most popular sports in the country is a sure way to get brand recognition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I really hope that the food company Aviva get the rights I will certainly buy their food products if they do and it shows that advertising works.
    Last edited by NeilMcD; 26/01/2009 at 8:15 PM.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Likewise Neil,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I really hope that the food company Aviva get the rights I will certainly buy theire food products if they do and it shows that advertising works.
    Just heard it will be named after a company that makes engagement rings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast