Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kearney signs new deal

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sorry for upsetting you Soccfc. I didn't realise you were s delicate.

Personally, I don't agree with playing centre halves on the wing. I can see the case for a midfield holding role, but not out on the wing.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by SÓCcfc
    Casey isnt half the player Kearney is.

Casey has trouble controlling the ball, his passing isnt great and he's not the best at beating his man. He does give us a better option from kick outs etc. but so would I.

Kearney is small, so was Maradonna.

If you have the skill and the ability dont see why size should be a problem what he lacks in size he makes up for in earning us frees etc. Kearney came to us, unfit and for the first time ever playing topflight football regularly. He's been good this season, he'll be excellent next season.
    spot on there. He started very well, and while he's gone off the boil a bit, its no surprise with the amount of games he's had to play in his first real season. he's a great prospect

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't think centre backs should be anywhere near midfield,the best position for them has to be,wait for it.......................................

CENTRE BACK

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just one or two examples to counter your argument Dolanswstcoat.....

Paul McGrath played very well in midfield for Ireland.

Phil Nevile and Ronnie Johnsen as the central midfielders for Man Utd against Porto in the Champs League a few seasons back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    moran / mcgrath
    all players equally comforable at either position

think roy k**** was lined up at one stage to finish his career at centre back was he.. or some sort of sweeper role (from memory)
    dont think there is such a major leap from one position to the other.. but of course it all depends on the player.

derek coughlan for example i could never see playing in midfield yet i would be quiet happy with dan murray playing there

greg switched from fullback to central mid to wing position and i think he has covered centre back also.. when needed..
    all depends on the player like

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up

Good news & a 3 year contract is fairly long by City standards.

Kearney has done well after been thrown into the team mid season & if can get a bit stronger will do well in the team.

Dolan must really rate him as he put him into the 1st team very soon after joining city.

Kearney easily better than Casey. Casey might do well as left back.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think one of the most important things here is that Liam signed the contract before the went to the U20 World Championships.
    It's a shop window not normally available to League of Ireland players. I hope that he and Kevin do really well and get great exposure. At least now we don't have to worry about Liam being poached on us afterwards.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    It's a 2 year contract he signed, not a 3 year one.

The reason he went off the boil a bit in recent weeks is because he tore a stomach muscle. He hadn't played a lot of first team football before coming to City and the physical nature of the game here was a shock to him. He has been doing a lot of training off his own back and he will certainly be stronger come the start of next season.

While I'm not a big fan of Casey I do admit that he has a good cross of a ball and is a lot stronger than Kearney, therefore able to protect Billy a bit more. But I like to see wingers taking on full-backs and Kearney does this and Casey doesn't.

All in all it's good to have competition for places and hopefully this will happen for every position in time

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We always seem to have an abundance of players who can play left wing but none have done a great job since ollie headed for the pale.Woods did have a good season 2 years ago there but Dolan put him in at left back this year.

I do hope Kearney can do the business there but time will tell.

The small fella could use a mars bar or twenty though,hes tiny

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Originally posted by Eric
    It's a 2 year contract he signed, not a 3 year one.
    I presume that a 2 year extension cos said he was here til 2006 now. I meant 3 as in the length of time left on contract if ya know what I mean...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by DolansWaistcoat
    The small fella could use a mars bar or twenty though,hes tiny
    They should forget the old Atkins diet-Liam needs the DOLAN DIET!! That would fatten him up a bit
    I'm glad he's signed, as he is a class player, other wise he wouldnt be in an international standard squad. I think, as many others, that the physicality of the eL has been a shock to him, but he will get used to this, and he will, as also mentioned, fill out. A good prospect, and the fact that he WANTED to sign for us says a lot.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    He had only signed a 3 month contaract when he came back from England.

The contract he has now signed is for the next 2 seasons so he is here til at least the end of 2005 or start of 2006

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think most of the people on this site have got it right...

People are entitled to their opinion but to criticise Liam this season is laughable in MY opinion.

He came to Cork after leaving Notts Forest. He was not fit (just came back from an ankle operation). He was put into the team straight away. No offence to the Eircom league, but it does take time to SETTLE in. Do people who criticise not realise that.....

I think that he played some great stuff in his first few games and even got man of the match against the now champions Shels...Then he got tired towards the end of the season. He was also suffering from a bad chest infection towards the end of the season. I watched the game against longford in the cross (possibly the worst sporting event i have ever witnessed) and he was visibly knackered in the second half. He was not used to playing 3 games a week.....

Yes, he is small....very small!! But he has shown some touches that no one else bar George are capable of....

So, i ask people who criticise.....Give the boy a chance...He is 20 years of age....He will be quality next season....He will be used to his team mates...his team mates will be used to him...He will be fitter, more sharp and more used to the eircom league....If not, i will eat my words..

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Originally posted by city79
    If not, i will eat my words..
    Well obviously!!!
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12