Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland vs Georgia pre-match

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Ireland vs Georgia pre-match

With the squad for the georgia game now announced, what do people think the lineup/result will be? how do you think the game will go? any game discussion here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    We seem to have trouble finishing, but we're at home against a weaker side.

I'd expect us to score 2 or 3 goals, and probably concede one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    No one on the Ireland team really excites me right now, but then Im sure the same could be said for the Georgia side. I think Ireland take care of business in a must win in typical unspectacular fashion 1-0, with Shay making an unbelievable save in injury time that has us all seeing red for a split sec, and we all start talking about Steven Ireland and Andy Reid .02 seconds after the game.
    My other prediction is I will be intoxicated as I am taking a half day and going to the bar at noon. What time is the game anyway, 7:30 Dublin time I hope?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    damien duff and kevin doyle excite me at the moment. the prospect of them two and mcgeady and keane all showing top form also excites me a huge amount. whether it will happen, who knows

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    I would agree with Crosby "No one on the Ireland team really excites me right now" id like to see a young unknown player like Scannell or O Toole being let loose after 60 odd minutes to inject a burst of life into the team. The other team would not hav a clue about them ..unlike Duff and the rest.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ò'Shea is in flying form. As I have said before, playing him at centre back is ridculous. This is his WORST position. Finnan, McShane, DuNNE, O'Shea should be our back four. Kilbane could still do a job as a defensive midfielder but it may be time to leave him on the bench.

I am wholly disgusted that Andy Reid is left out and because of that I find it hard to be excited about what we can produce.

We do of course have great potential in Duff, Keane, McGeady and Doyle but not having Reid as provider lessens this potential to a massive extent.
    Last edited by Scram; 23/01/2009 at 9:18 AM. Reason: Doh! Duff is not a naturally gifted Center Back as his last OG shows!

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    Finnan, McShane, Duff, O'Shea
    Edit it quick!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    You were making sense until you wanted to put duff in the back.

I am hoping that this game is the turning point where we show domination and the start of a new era, where everything goes to plan and we have a comfortable 2-0 win. Basically an assured performance oozing confidence and temperment.

The other says, its going to be much like cyprus, with hairy moments and an invisible midfield much like the streets of home on christmas day, just scraping a 1 - 0 or 2 - 1.

Its funny how a 2-0 or even a 2-1 could be so different in actual terms of performance.

Either way I think we will win.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Ò'Shea is in flying form. As I have said before, playing him at centre back is ridculous. This is his WORST position. Finnan, McShane, Duff, O'Shea should be our back four. Kilbane could still do a job as a defensive midfielder but it may be time to leave him on the bench.

I am wholly disgusted that Andy Reid is left out and because of that I find it hard to be excited about what we can produce.

We do of course have great potential in Duff, Keane, McGeady and Doyle but not having Reid as provider lessens this potential to a massive extent.
    I assume that was a typo in regard to Duff being at the back. I would not change Dunne and O'Shea. This partnership has worked very well up till now and the fact that O'Shea is playing well at the moment makes up slightly for Dunne's inconsistency.

Duff excites me the way he plays even on his bad days he is still one of our best players.Its a pity that A Reid is not at least in the squad at he is capable of creating something out of nothing.I think we will struggle and will be happy with a 1.0.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    I think we will get a dodgy early goal then fade away ..

The team will be

Given
    Finnan Dunne O'Shea Kilbane (very experienced back 5)
    Mc Geady Whelan Andrews Duff

Doyle Keane

With Gibson, S Hunt and Long all to come on i hope and keep on the offensive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I think I'd really like to see Andrews and Whelan in the middle, but I fear that Gibson's cup run with United will only make Trap feel vindicated in his selection policy, and that he'll get the nod against Georgia.

I think we will win either way if it is Andrews or Gibson, but I'd rather see Andrews just get in there, secure his spot and have a bit more solidity in there for the matches later on against the Italians and Bulgarians.

Even so, Andrews and Whelan against those teams hardly fills me with optimism.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I think I'd really like to see Andrews and Whelan in the middle, but I fear that Gibson's cup run with United will only make Trap feel vindicated in his selection policy, and that he'll get the nod against Georgia.

I think we will win either way if it is Andrews or Gibson, but I'd rather see Andrews just get in there, secure his spot and have a bit more solidity in there for the matches later on against the Italians and Bulgarians.

Even so, Andrews and Whelan against those teams hardly fills me with optimism.
    First and foremost a win is a must, performance would also be nice along with a clean sheet. I hope they have the same goalkeeper as the last time as well.

I dont think Gibson is yet ready for this level and would like to see Andrews partner Whelan in the middle. We need to be sure of our central pairing going into the Bulgaria/Italy games and this is the game to try Andrews out imo. Other than that, dont expect any other changes, but i do hope finnan is fit to play in place of McShane.

I would disagree with the points made re O'Shea, i think his best position for us in centre back along side Dunne, if Dunne wasnt his partner then i would have concerns, the two have played well there so far in this campaign and if it aint broke...........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richieos View Post
    damien duff and kevin doyle excite me at the moment. the prospect of them two and mcgeady and keane all showing top form also excites me a huge amount. whether it will happen, who knows
    Kinky
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Edit it quick!

I forgot Stan was no longer in charge!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    You were making sense until you wanted to put duff in the back.

I am hoping that this game is the turning point where we show domination and the start of a new era, where everything goes to plan and we have a comfortable 2-0 win. Basically an assured performance oozing confidence and temperment.

The other says, its going to be much like cyprus, with hairy moments and an invisible midfield much like the streets of home on christmas day, just scraping a 1 - 0 or 2 - 1.

Its funny how a 2-0 or even a 2-1 could be so different in actual terms of performance.

Either way I think we will win.
    Yes indeed ! I forgot about his last clanger of an OG. I menat to put him in goal.

We haven't yet had any game in which we looked comfortable for more than 10 minutes (and in many of those games, the 10 minutes was during the half-time break!)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Yes indeed ! I forgot about his last clanger of an OG. I menat to put him in goal.

We haven't yet had any game in which we looked comfortable for more than 10 minutes (and in many of those games, the 10 minutes was during the half-time break!)
    Giorgi LOMAIA (GK) he played in the other 2 games( kept a clean sheet against Bulgaria)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    i wonder what the odds were on an all irish and all blackburn midfield a year ago for end of season this year?! or possibly start of next PL season and ireland qualifiers in september.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    i wonder what the odds were on an all irish and all blackburn midfield a year ago for end of season this year?! or possibly start of next PL season and ireland qualifiers in september.
    Judge, Andrews and Treacy all played in the FA Cup tie against Blyth Spartans. Judge came on as a sub, the other two played the full 90.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    sorry but the Duffer is finished. I dont have time to check his stats now, but I would be curious how many goals he has in any game in the last 3 years. I realize he was hurt but, I bet its like 10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Georgia's away form.

Here are Georgia's away results from their last campaign. They generally went away empty handed but are far from whipping boys. We'll have to be at our sharpest to win against them I think.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006
    Faroe Islands 0 Georgia 6
    Wednesday, September 6, 2006
    Ukraine 3 Georgia 2
    Saturday, March 24, 2007
    Scotland 2 Georgia 1
    Saturday, June 2, 2007
    Lithuania 1 Georgia 0
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007
    France 1 Georgia 0
    Saturday, October 13, 2007
    Italy 2 Georgia 0

They have also lost 2-0 to the Italians in Udine in this campaign.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast