Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: List of Givens record as under 21 coach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    So why is this guy still in charge then? Why does he have a position? Instead of taking anonymous swipes why dont you people do something about it? Money talks, and emails to the FIA. Come on now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    if he sent an email to the FIA he'd be making a grand pix of himself.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue-Army View Post
    Think that was Brian Kerr...
    No it was Don Givens in a Brian Kerr face mask because he just could not fall out with enough young Irish footballers in his own skin at that particular time !

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    I see Givens has had a falling out with Keith Treacy now (or is this old news?). He was quoted in papers as saying that there are now no big egos in the squad. There are now no players with a fair bit of Premiership experience either. I could easily pick an XI of introverted people with little self regard. I expect they'd be pretty shyte though.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    http://www.examiner.ie/sport/ididkfaugb/

Givens brands pundit Dunphy a ‘clown’
    By John Riordan

DON GIVENS yesterday branded Eamon Dunphy a "clown" for the pundit’s charge that his period in charge of the Irish U-21s has been "disastrous and he should be shown the door".

Givens is preparing for what he regards as his side’s biggest game in years as the U-21 European Championship qualifying campaign kicks off this evening in Turner’s Cross with Group Two top seeds Turkey the visitors.

Shamrock Rovers defender Ian Bermingham was called in to the squad yesterday morning and drafted straight in at left back following the forced withdrawals of Seamus Coleman (ankle) and Michael Liddle (groin). Other than that change, Givens has kept faith with the team that defeated Spain 2-1 at the RSC on Friday.

"Any time you manage to beat one of the big nations is very satisfying for all of us but especially the lads," said Givens yesterday. "Following on from the German performance, it was very good, so I’m delighted.

"Turkey are going to be fairly similar to Spain. Not the biggest physically, but very quick, technical players. We coped well in Waterford and I’m hoping for a similar performance.

"There might not be as much individual talent as with past groups but as a group, they’re great to work with. In the past, we might have had three or four really strong players.

"Now it’s a hard job to pick 18 if everyone is fit. I wouldn’t say that out of this group, with the exception of Eddie Nolan, that there would be anyone ready to step up. Maybe we’ll get to keep this group together for a little while so it will be an advantage for us in that way."

Much to the chagrin of Dunphy, Blackburn midfielder Keith Treacy remains out in the cold as a result of not showing up for the 3-0 friendly victory in Lithuania last October.

While the player himself has suggested that "mixed wires" led to his no-show, Givens has stood firm over his refusal to bring him back to the fold. Dunphy, in his newspaper column, said it "beggars belief" that Givens is still at the helm accusing the FAI of handing the former international a "job for life".

"I wouldn’t respond to any criticisms from Eamon Dunphy. I would respond to criticism from what I would call proper football people.

"For instance, if Johnny Giles had written that article, I’d have a bit more respect (for it) and had a bit more thought about it. But not that other clown who says things to be controversial, he’s made a living out of it.

"He picked it up from the paper the day before which was total crap anyway. The Keith Treacy thing was all lies. Eamon’s just jumped on it and run with it again.

It wouldn’t upset me in the slightest what he says because sometimes he says it to spark up a little bit. It might upset me if someone like Gilesy said it. But not Eamon," he concluded.

Meanwhile, centre forward Alan Judge will go into tonight’s game relieved by his first goal in a green shirt, the strike which turned out to be the winner against Spain.

"It was brilliant to get a goal finally," he said. "Jay O’Shea showed great feet, Cillian (Sheridan) sent a great ball in and once I saw (Owen) Garvan in front of me, I knew he’d listen. It took a lifetime for the ball to come to me.

"(The pitch) wasn’t in the best of condition. You could see it all night people were having trouble when the ball was coming at them. With the amount of time I had especially, it could have taken a bounce either way. I was very grateful that I managed to get the ball in the net."

Ireland team v Turkey: S Redmond (Eastwood Town); B Moloney (Notts Forest), E Nolan (Preston, capt), D Dennehy (Hereford), Ian Bermingham (Shamrock Rovers); S Gleeson (MK Dons), O’Garvan (Ipswich Town), D Meyler (Sunderland); A Judge (Plymouth Argyle), J O’Shea (Galway), C Sheridan (Motherwell).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Is the Turkey game on live anywhere?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123