Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alan McLoughlin Day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Alan McLoughlin Day

10 years ago today Alan Alan who the F&*K is Alan scored that goal and sent us off to America.

Thanks for the meories we'll never forget you.

Team

Packie Bonner, Denis Irwin Terry Phelan, Alan Kernaghan, Paul McGrath, Roy Keane, Andy Townsend, Ray Houghton, Niall Quinn, John Aldridge, Eddie McGoldrick

Subs: Alan McLoughlin for Houghton, Tony Cascarino for Aldridge

Can't believe it was ten years ago though.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nice one for the reminder Gary - and nice one for the story in yesterday's Tribune.

Sheridan
    I was going to post something about this if no-one else did, it's rather sad to think of the tenth anniversary of an event that gripped an entire nation going unnoticed. I've still got a crumbling copy of the next day's Irish Press, which I've dragged out every 17th of November for a decade. What a day it was, with Bulgaria scoring that famous last-minute win over France and San Marino netting the fastest goal in World Cup history against England. What an aesthetically perfect goal McLoughlin scored, too - neat chest control followed by a surgically precise, sliced half-volley into the corner. I seem to remember it was the worst game in history, otherwise.

Cannot believe it's ten years...I was a mere child of 13 then, but I don't think I've ever been as happy since. Which is sad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The other great game that day was, of course, Spain beating Denmark. 1-0 with a goal (penalty?) from Hierro. Spain down to 10 men with their goalie sent off - Canizares coming on to make his debut and keep a clean sheet.

A guy I know told me about being at the game - in the Bernabau I think - in with the Danish supporters who kept trying to convince him that our game was still 1-0 to the nordies.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Originally posted by Sheridan
    I was going to post something about this if no-one else did, it's rather sad to think of the tenth anniversary of an event that gripped an entire nation going unnoticed. I've still got a crumbling copy of the next day's Irish Press, which I've dragged out every 17th of November for a decade. What a day it was, with Bulgaria scoring that famous last-minute win over France and San Marino netting the fastest goal in World Cup history against England. What an aesthetically perfect goal McLoughlin scored, too - neat chest control followed by a surgically precise, sliced half-volley into the corner. I seem to remember it was the worst game in history, otherwise.

Cannot believe it's ten years...I was a mere child of 13 then, but I don't think I've ever been as happy since. Which is sad.
    Can still remember that goal from San Marino - brilliant stuff! Then going 1-0 down, more "f***"s than during the rest of my life! Equaliser, after the match going over to Spain, punching the walls in nervousness when Schmeichel was coming up for the corners in injury time! Still have the Irish Times from the next day with Tommy Wright diving in vain - great photo! And then hearing that "Alan Who?" poem, and enjoying it so much that I went out and bought the tape ("World Cup Me Arse!"). The tape has since been lost, but not before I learnt the entire of "Alan Who?" off by heart!

I was a mere child of 13 then, but I don't think I've ever been as nervous since. Which is just as well!

Sheridan
    Hierro's goal should never have been allowed to stand, it was a header from a corner and he clearly fouled the 'keeper or defender (can't remember which.) Under today's rules, of course, Ireland wouldn't have qualified (well, second place would mean a play-off for one thing.) Ireland finished level with Denmark and went through on goals scored - today, Denmark's superior head-to-head record (they scored an away goal in Dublin) would have sent them through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Yes we only qualified on goals scored but remember the Danes couldn't even draw with 10 men. Furthermore we had a perfectly good goal chalked off late on in Seville when Aldo beat the last defender.and was pulled back for offside.

Great campaign and remmeber we also knocked out the reigning European champions.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    In footballing terms it was the best f***ing night of my life. Ireland went through. Also I was delighted to see Spain (mum's country) join us and that England went out. Jesus even France qualified...for WC '98. I pray to God that I'll see another night like that in my lifetime.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Alan McLoughlin Day

Originally posted by gspain
    10 years ago today Alan Alan who the F&*K is Alan scored that goal and sent us off to America.

Thanks for the meories we'll never forget you.
    Can't believe it was ten years ago though.
    Couldn't believe it either when I saw it in the paper. It was absolutely freezing that night, and when the North scored all of us at home were rightly down in the dumps. Cue our first ever goal in Windsor, the house erupted, got even worse when Spain scored against Denmark, and could finally relax at the final whistles. Never forget it........EVER.
    Munster 33-6 Gloucester
    Aint revenge sweet?!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Alan who?
    They're red, they're black
    The hatchetmen are back.

We'll support you evermore
    Though you never score...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I was watching the match through me fingers at The Dubliner in Birmingham. I was in the loo having a slash when I heard a huge shout. I nearly lost my tip in my zip rushing to get out the door. When I saw that McLoughlin had equalised, I'd gladly have forfeited it as well.

The dancing in the streets of Digbeth afterwards was a sight to behold. What a night.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    headed over to Dublin to watch it in the Working Mens club, what a night, got absolutely drowned in beer and what a tense final few minutes that was

Then it was Loan/Credit Card applications all round and off to the Big Apple for Houghton et al!!! didn't get to germany in 88 or Italy 90 was still in school, so this was my first major finals, got the bug big time after that.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
    I was watching the match through me fingers at The Dubliner in Birmingham.
    Erm, were you old enough then to be in such an establishment, PP?

Originally posted by Junior
    headed over to Dublin to watch it in the Working Mens club, what a night, got absolutely drowned in beer and what a tense final few minutes that was
    Junior, after much brain scratching, I now know who you are. Was with SM from Winchmore 'Cypress' Hill on Sunday and he filled me in after an internet description of yerself. The big man should be a gard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Originally posted by lopez
    Erm, were you old enough then to be in such an establishment, PP?
    Cheeky so-and-so! I'm not that much younger than you. Pushing mid-thirties now, I'm afraid...

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by pineapple stu
    And then hearing that "Alan Who?" poem, and enjoying it so much that I went out and bought the tape ("World Cup Me Arse!"). The tape has since been lost, but not before I learnt the entire of "Alan Who?" off by heart!

D
    World Cup Me Arse was brilliant!! Fierce funny! I bloody lost it aswell tho. Mite tear the house apart 2nite actually and try to find it. Hilarious.

Did anyone else buy it actually??
    low lie the fields of Bishopstown......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Alan McLoughlin played a game for Pats a couple of pre-season's ago. Very nearly signed for us (money was the downfall).

We got a corner and it was headed out to him. As he blazed over the entire crowd start cheering. I'm not sure he knew what was going on
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
    Cheeky so-and-so! I'm not that much younger than you. Pushing mid-thirties now, I'm afraid...

PP
    Nooooo!!!!

The blokes at work that know you refer to you as Tom's young lad. Thought you were pushing more mid twenties.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Originally posted by Dodge
    Alan McLoughlin played a game for Pats a couple of pre-season's ago. Very nearly signed for us (money was the downfall).
    Didn't he go off to Forest Green then? Just shows how much effect ITV Digital had on the English game if Forest Green could afford him where Pat's couldn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Originally posted by pineapple stu
    Didn't he go off to Forest Green then? Just shows how much effect ITV Digital had on the English game if Forest Green could afford him where Pat's couldn't.
    Well if he joined Pats, he wanted wages, a house, a car and flights to the UK.

I doubt he asked Forest Green for that...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Originally posted by Dodge
    Well if he joined Pats, he wanted wages, a house, a car and flights to the UK.

I doubt he asked Forest Green for that...
    What, didn't ask for wages?!

I presume you mean he didn't ask for the flights or the house...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast