Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Worst Taoiseach in State History?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Worst Taoiseach in State History?

Brian Cowen so far has had a desperate time as Taoiseach. The rejection of Lisbon Treaty, The Economic Meltdown, and now the Rumour Mill of a rift between himself and other high ranking Ministers. My own personel view is Cowen Personality is not quiet right for a Statesman - He lacks Charisma and is very awkward in front of camera, and has an inability to talk to the people he represents, indecisive and unable to come up with a plan and stick to it - (Budget 08).. Conservatism intransigence and inability to think outside the box i.e current social partnership arrangement, slow and tardy. He lacks Vision.

One of his biggest faults is he is part of the Cartel that got us here in first place - The unHoly Triniy - Bankers / Politicians and Developers. Fact he was a Personal Friend of Anglo Head Crook Seanie Fitz, also I remember in a Pub two years ago a friend telling me that Client of his a large Developer was swapping tips on Horses over text messages...

Cowen once said that working in the Health Sector was like Angola, he obviously seemed to resort to Angola type politics with patronage being high on his previous list of agendas.. He needs to act and act fast to save himself from receiving the above mentioned title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Its hard to compare as its very dependent on the circumstances they inherit and you can really only judge after they go.

But its not looking good for Biffo

As an example, history SHOULD judge Bertie extremely poorly (regardless of his popularity at the time). Apart from the Northern Ireland peace process, his time in office was characterised by personal inpropriety, no real improvements in education and health despite over-flowing public coffers, and responsibility for stoking one of the biggest asset price bubbles in the history of modern civilisation.

But if you asked Joe Public, I'd guarantee many would say its Biffo what caused all of this.

So in answer to your question I reckon Biffo has a bit to go before he scrapes Bertie's level.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I don't care about charisma however he needs to show leadership which he has been unable to do so far. The way the government backed down on some of budget issues sent out a bad signal that the government had no plan.

The problem with Biffo is his leader was Bertie who was the king of dittering. Dittering works to some extent when loads of cash to buy people off but now the country needs someone who has a plan & is willing to ignore protests & complaints to implement it. No surprise Fascist leaders emerge in bad times when strong leadership needed.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    He was a poor Health Minister, poor Finance Minister, and now a poor Taoiseach, leading an equally incompetent Tanaiste, and Finance Minister.

Micheal Martin, and Dermot Ahern would be far better Taoiseachs imo. As Bertie showed, you can provide leadership, while not getting wound up by criticism for providing leadership.

The Taoiseach is supposed to be above the schoolyard howling and yelling antics in the Dail, but instead is willing to engage in it, which sets a negative impression among the electorate.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post

The Taoiseach is supposed to be above the schoolyard howling and yelling antics in the Dail, but instead is willing to engage in it, which sets a negative impression among the electorate.
    Very True, I remember Biffo taking a pot shot at Enda Kenny (easy target) about being not qualified to comment on tribunals I just remember thinking what an undignified School Boy remark...
    A comment was made recently on the Vincent Browne show about the lack of political talent across the board in Ireland when compared with the amazing rise of Barack Obama in the US, maybe the last 15 years of prosperity has dulled the mind and caused a lack of sharpness or focus because by God we really do have weak representatives. Eamonn Gilmore and Richard Burton the best we got I think.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    As an example, history SHOULD judge Bertie extremely poorly (regardless of his popularity at the time). Apart from the Northern Ireland peace process, his time in office was characterised by personal inpropriety, no real improvements in education and health despite over-flowing public coffers, and responsibility for stoking one of the biggest asset price bubbles in the history of modern civilisation.
    We're most definitely reaping what Bertie sowed. However, Cowen (and the great white knight McCreevy) were the right hand men, so only right that he also has to deal with the legacy.

I always thought he was brutal and he has no achievements in office. Being able to shout down and interupt in debates and talk gibberish when answering questions makes you an intellectual heavy weight in Irish politics
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Bites View Post
    ...we really do have weak representatives. Eamonn Gilmore and Richard Burton the best we got I think.
    Exactly. And one of those is a Welsh actor dead 25 years!
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    We're most definitely reaping what Bertie sowed. However, Cowen (and the great white knight McCreevy) were the right hand men, so only right that he also has to deal with the legacy.

I always thought he was brutal and he has no achievements in office. Being able to shout down and interupt in debates and talk gibberish when answering questions makes you an intellectual heavy weight in Irish politics
    So true. He was always described as 'intellectual' and a 'great debater'; I have never seen evidence of either, and you are spot on in your description of his boorish debating "style"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Completely agree on his debating style.

Typical lawyers arrogance IMO.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I''ll never forgive Bertie for shooting down eircom Park

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    he could probably be forgiven his pig ignorance if he showed leadership, if he charted a course and stuck to it. instead, he simply seems to be lurching from crisis to crisis. Lisbon rejection, property crash, budget issues, it will only get worse for him. unfortunately, the majority of the current generation of irish national politicians all seem to be cut from the same cloth. if there were any true leaders in FF, they would oust cowen and try and sort things out.
    i believe in one man, one vote. i should be that one man with that one vote.

ALWAYS ON TOUR!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shantykelly View Post
    he could probably be forgiven his pig ignorance if he showed leadership, if he charted a course and stuck to it. instead, he simply seems to be lurching from crisis to crisis. Lisbon rejection, property crash, budget issues, it will only get worse for him. unfortunately, the majority of the current generation of irish national politicians all seem to be cut from the same cloth. if there were any true leaders in FF, they would oust cowen and try and sort things out.
    Correct, but sadly the intellect and appetite doesn't appear to be there, 15 years of prosperity has dulled the minds of politicians, Cowens has been exposed as a middle of the road country politician who is badly out of his depth...These kind of tough times see a major shift to more right/left wing politics, Anger will grow as people become more disorientated with current incumbents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    remember reading an article, long time ago, (think it was in the school library) regarding a theory that during times of economic and social upheaval (as now), there is generally a move amongst the population towards a more conservative mindset, and a growth in opposition towards change in most shapes and form. i think this will hold up to a point, until economic structures start to really break down, and we see an upsurge in left/right-wing radicalism. are we likely to see the sort of situation that characterised the west during the early 30's? economic failure was one of the contributing factors towrds the collapse of weimar germany and the growth of nazism and fascism. anyone think sarkozy would look good in a brown shirt?
    i believe in one man, one vote. i should be that one man with that one vote.

ALWAYS ON TOUR!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Bites
    Cowens has been exposed as a middle of the road country politician who is badly out of his depth...Anger will grow as people become more disorientated with current incumbents.
    But the public voted for them last year, and no doubt will, if called again. FF are supposed to be able to handle the economy. That's why they got re-elected. The people will believe the myth that Enda can't lead the country. But even if he can't, he can still do a better job than Cowen.

Eamon Gilmore can do better than the pair of them, but as he's not with one of the big two parties, there is no chance of him getting the top job.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    See that idiot Bertie Ahearn writing (yeah like he really did write this!!!) in the INdo today giving pointers to what Obama should do when he takes charge

wouldnt it be nice to think - as a still sitting TD - that he might give Cowen a few tips on how to run the country - since Bertie was the one who started the boom, and brought peace and prosperity to all!!!!!!!!
    Ireland is such a great country

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Eamon Gilmore can do better than the pair of them, but as he's not with one of the big two parties, there is no chance of him getting the top job.
    I agree. Joan Burton seems to talk as if she knows what she is talking about which says nothing really, but illustrates how short on ideas Biffo and Bruno are.

I am just back from a few days in England. The perception there is while the UK is fe*kd too, there is some sort of leadership in that Joe Public thinks Mr Darling and Brown can lead some sort of recovery. Mr Public on the otherhand is reading unsensored reporting in the FT etc about the state we are in and like most of us, believes we are doomed. This perception will remain as long as there is a 09 OY S class merc parked on double yellows in Kildare street. Until we get honesty about the state of Anglo and the state of the public finances over the next three years (i.e a plan!!) no one will buy any Irish bank shares.
    Last edited by A face; 22/01/2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Fixed Quotes

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr Damo View Post
    This perception will remain as long as there is a 09 OY S class merc parked on double yellows in Kildare street. Until we get honesty about the state of Anglo and the state of the public finances over the next three years (i.e a plan!!) no one will buy any Irish bank shares.
    Come on now do you not realise that Biffo really did not want to use that car but because it was already bought & couldn't get dealer to take it back he had to use it. Sure it was losing money sitting in the garage. Some PR guru was paid a tidy sum to devise that bluff the least you can do is fall for it.

Last edited by A face; 22/01/2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Fixed Quotes
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    People used to compare Cowen to Gordon Brown across the water. Both took over from iconic leaders (good or bad), both took over at a time when the economy was heading for it's crash, both got off to rocky starts, both seemed to have leadership problems and questions were being asked of their leadership skills.

The difference between the two men in the first month of 2009 as opposed to even 6 months ago is staggering however. Brown has united his party and started climbing opinion polls, he has come up with a clear strategy for riding out the recession and has rewon a lot of the public's faith and now looks like he might be able to at least put up a good fight in a general election.

Cowen in contrast has staggered from one crisis to another, the budget being the biggest one where he showed a complete lack of the leadership qualities we need right now. The only two things he has as an advantage over Brown is a) Fianna Fail is such an Ol' Boys Club that they would never directly challenge his leadership in the manner David Miliband did to Brown, and b) Irish people still vote along party lines that over a half century old, and don't seem willing to change this tradition.

Cowen needs to be shown the door in my opinion, personally I'd take Fianna Fail out of government, but the Irish gombeen mentality of 'sure what else will we do?' that has seen what must surely be one of the most corrupt governing parties in the western world in power for so long doesn't look like letting that happen

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Cowen in contrast has staggered from one crisis to another, the budget being the biggest one where he showed a complete lack of the leadership qualities we need right now.
    Where the fook is he? Never mind not showing leadership, he's not even showing himself.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Japan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast