Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Doolin eager to get started

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Post Doolin eager to get started

Doolin eager to get started

Cork City boss Paul Doolin has said that once he adds to his new squad on Leeside, The Rebel Army will be targeting an assault on the league title in 2009. The Dubliner was appointed on Tuesday evening and is excited by his new role, though he did also acknowledge that there are a couple of pressing issues that require immediate attention.

"First and foremost I'm delighted to get the opportunity Cork City. At the end of the season, the way Drogheda's season ended and the ongoing problems at the club, there was always the chance I would not be involved this year,” he told setanta.com in an exclusive interview. “Cork are a big club. They have been in a difficult position, but there are positives. They have a beautiful stadium for a start, they've a great support - which probably could be bigger if things were more stable and which will be a big focus for the next few years - and, of course, they have some excellent players.

Read more at www.setanta.com
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Doolin completes Cork City deal

Paul Doolin has been confirmed as the new manager of Cork City. The former Drogheda United supremo had been in negotiations for a number of days with Cork owner Tom Coughlan and succeeds Alan Mathews at Turner's Cross. Doolin won the Premier Division title, the FAI Cup and two Setanta Sports Cups with Drogheda.

The new man at the helm told the official Cork City website that he was looking forward to the new challenge. 'First and foremost I would like to thank Tom Coughlan and Cork City for giving me the opportunity to manage the club,' Doolin said. 'Cork City is a big club with proud history, a club which has been successful and we want to build on that.

Read more at www.rte.ie
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Guess we gotta get behind him now...as odd and weird as it will feel backing a guy I vociferously despised for his "footballing" style over the last 4 or 5 years...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerNThongs View Post
    Guess we gotta get behind him now...as odd and weird as it will feel backing a guy I vociferously despised for his "footballing" style over the last 4 or 5 years...
    Yeah, exactly how i feel as well. But he'll have to get 100% support as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    No doubts. It will achieve nothing if we keep that attitude of resentment. We have to support the players as much as anything else.

What's the story with Tim Kiely? I keep hearing conflicting rumors as to whether he has been signed up, released or is in negotiations. Doesnt help that our OS hasnt updated (ie. shrunk) our squad page yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think it's a good appointment, if he gets results do you care about his style? Let's be honest City haven't been managed well in a while and I believe Rico wasn't welcomed with open arms at the start either.
    Let's see how he does and then judge him. In the times we are in at the minute I think Paul will be smart enough to do a good job.
    By the way don't be confused by my colours, my dad's a Corkman (Fair Hill to be exact) so I'm as interested as most Cork/Munster fans are.
    Last edited by Denis The Red; 18/01/2009 at 12:45 AM.
    Esse Quam Videri

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis The Red View Post
    ...if he gets results do you care about his style?
    Of course we will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    I believe Rico wasn't welcomed with open arms at the start either.
    There was a group of fans who were infatuated/obsessed with Pat Dolan who opposed Rico initially, but everyone else fully welcomed him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think it's a good appointment, if he gets results do you care about his style? Let's be honest City haven't been managed well in a while and I believe Rico wasn't welcomed with open arms at the start either.
    Let's see how he does and then judge him. In the times we are in at the minute I think Paul will be smart enough to do a good job.
    By the way don't be confused by my colours, my dad's a Corkman (Fair Hill to be exact) so I'm as interested as most Cork/Munster fans are.
    Hahahaaa...no worries. As the guys above said, it was merely a pocket of Dolan Lovers who had a pop at him. Most of the City fans I spoke to and know were happy with his appointment.

As for winning and with style, well, yeah, I do care. If we go and start playing football like Drogs did, it will be a big step backwards for the best footballing side of the last 4 or 5 seasons in the league. Playing that kind of ****e wont benefit the league itself in the long run and is a big reason why so many people dont go more often. At least if they watch a ****e EPL game, they are either in the pub or in the comfort of their own homes as sad as it is to state.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    it was merely a pocket of Dolan Lovers who had a pop at him.
    One in each pocket
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    One in each pocket
    In the back of the jeep

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I suppose it will be interesting to see what he can do with a big club. Can he handle the pressure & expectations as he wouldn't have had that at Drogs.

I am sure the 'Sack the Dub' banner is being repaired...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Post Doolin on look-out for players

Doolin on look-out for players

Cork City boss Paul Doolin is currently exploring several avenues as he attempts to bring new players to the club. The experienced manager only recently took over at Turner's Cross, yet he has had enough time to assess his squad and decide on what he needs. Dan Connor arrived from Drogheda United as his first signing, while youngsters Alan O'Connor and Tim Kiely both signed new deals this week.

Doolin was also able to convince goalkeeper Mark McNulty to pen a new contract, but he remains on the lookout for new players to draft into his squad. "I am speaking to a few different people at the moment, but you have to be careful too, you don't want to just bring in anybody for the sake of it," he told the club's official website. "Hopefully I will be getting a few players in to see what is available out there, but it is awkward with window here being different to England because of summer soccer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Doolin on look-out for players

Cork City boss Paul Doolin is currently exploring several avenues as he attempts to bring new players to the club. The experienced manager only recently took over at Turner's Cross, yet he has had enough time to assess his squad and decide on what he needs. Dan Connor arrived from Drogheda United as his first signing, while youngsters Alan O'Connor and Tim Kiely both signed new deals this week.

Doolin was also able to convince goalkeeper Mark McNulty to pen a new contract, but he remains on the lookout for new players to draft into his squad. "I am speaking to a few different people at the moment, but you have to be careful too, you don't want to just bring in anybody for the sake of it," he told the club's official website. "Hopefully I will be getting a few players in to see what is available out there, but it is awkward with window here being different to England because of summer soccer.

Ermmmm....a 25 year old hardly counts as young these days, does he?

Anyway, looks like we are close to adding Faz to the squad. If the likes of Waters and Forde are ready to step up after the U-20s cup win, we might actually have something resembling a squad!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    we might actually have something resembling a squad!
    Hey, none of this speaking too soon lark just yet. And we have to get a license yet as well.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Ermmmm....a 25 year old hardly counts as young these days, does he?
    If the author is 65 it probably is.

Faz signed & will add guile to Behans err... presence.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!