Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert Elliot G Gateshead b.1986

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Elliot fit and will start against Bournemouth this afternoon. They were just praising his save from Jonathan Walters' header last week on Soccer Saturday. Arter starts for Bournemouth.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 07/11/2015 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Making save after save to preserve Newcastle's 1-0 lead. The BT commentators raving about him. I have half an eye on it and to be honest most of the saves were fairly standard, spread himself well for one alright.

Edit - Named man of the match by Robbie Savage. The stats for the game are mad, Bournemouth have had 68% possession, shots 19-2, corners 16-0. Only in football!
    Last edited by DeLorean; 07/11/2015 at 1:37 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Named man of the match for basically winning Newcastle the match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    MOTM again yesterday against Spurs, kept Newcastle in it for the first half
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Good news.

However, Randolph again on the bench for West Ham. No sign of Given for Stoke. Still injured I assume. Westwood made some excellent saves for Wednesday but needlessly conceded a penalty (at least he went the right way for it - attention Mr. Given) but they still scored. Forde continues to be on the bench for Millwall and didn't even play in the FA Cup game or Football League Trophy game.

Interesting selections to be made there.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I don't envy O'Neills choice for Euros. If Elliot keeps his place in the team and Newcastle don't buy in January he should most certainly get nod in the two March friendlies at least to prove he's capable of doing it at international level.

Westwood would still be my pick for number one, but for some reason he seems to have fallen out of favour with O'Neill and has trouble with injury which may stop him getting a spot in the squad at all.

Given will probably go just for sheer dressing room presence, even though I don't think he should be in the squad at all.

Randolph needs game time, but he'll be in the squad simply because of the part he had to play toward the end of the qualifying.

David Forde has to miss out. Simple as that.

If it were up to me picking the squad as of today, the three goalkeepers, in order of preference, would be Westwood, Elliot, Randolph. Shay Given should be brought in a coaching capacity as there's no doubting the influence he has in around the squad.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Think it is a fairly straight forward choice at the moment tbh. Randolph, Westwood & Elliot are our 3 best goalies at the present time. There can be no room for sentiment re Given & Forde
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I thought Randolph was super impressive in the final games of the campaign. His presence, confidence and not to mention his kicking (a massive weakness with Forde). However, he aint going to see much game time with Wham, with the exception of maybe the FA cup. So it is a wonderful opportunity for Elliott now - not as assured by him for some reason.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Yep, I agree. Elliott looks good but Randolph is in possession of the shirt and largely because he took to the role instantly. Lack of game time isn't a great concern just now. There'll be pre-tournament warm ups for that & hopefully he'll get a good FA Cup run. In fairness, Adrian is playing very well. Good keeper I think. Choice of 3rd keeper might come down to personality / presence. Pick 2 keepers on form, the third for his contribution to the camp.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    . Pick 2 keepers on form, the third for his contribution to the camp.
    You'd be in with a shout on that basis -
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    the third for his contribution to the camp.
    reminds me of Saipan..........

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    reminds me of Saipan..........
    I read that the squad is doing a warm-up camp in Austria or Switzerland, with Roy's approval. I thought the general lesson of Saipan was "do not travel further east than the host country to acclimatise and then fly back west again"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Given their appearance stats during shared time at Charlton it seems they considered Elliot the stronger of the two.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    One thing i have liked about oneill and keane, completely different to other managers we have had, since and including mccarthy, is they will shake it up change it as they see fit. If Elliot keeps his place, and he is getting the odd MOTM award, he has to be a starter come June. He is our highest playing keeper on a consistent basis. Randolph did one good kick out, and he seems a messiah almost, and a dead cert. He was poor in Poland. And in friendlies previously he was too especially against Spain in America.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    I thought he was poor in that Spain game too. Jury is out on the Poland performance. I thought he could have done better with each goal though Coleman did him no favours for the second and there was talk of a deflection for the first. He did make a great save one-on-one quite late and he also made a super one-on-one save in Bosnia to keep it at 0-0, a potential tie-changer. His biggest assets are his kicks and his confidence which he transmits outwards to his defenders. If we're to judge by the same standards I thought Elliott was beaten a bit too easily for one of Turkey's goals. I think it was Turkey anyway. Elliott's recent club form is important though, no doubt.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I think its very exciting that we could have ellliot and arter starting come June, that will hopefully be consistent premier league performers and playing well. We can't throw out the players mainly from the championship crap then.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I think its very exciting that we could have ellliot and arter starting come June, that will hopefully be consistent premier league performers and playing well. We can't throw out the players mainly from the championship crap then.
    What Championship crap? If Elliot comes in he'll replace two goalkeepers at PL clubs in Randolph and Given. Ironically enough, most of us here consider our best goalkeeper to be Championship based Westwood. What Championship crap player do you see Arter replacing? Hendrick is probably our only Championship based midfielder that starts and you can hardly knock his contribution to our campaign so far. I don't think Arter is a like-for-like replacement for him anyway.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    No i mean, the way everyone says championship players, as a way of slating or underplaying our ability. I think that they put reserve players or backup players at PL clubs in the same bracket as championship players.

I am agreeing with you, we have almost a complete 11 that plays in the premiership.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Saw the Newcastle v Everton game today - Elliot made five decent saves but I don't remember him competing strongly for dangerous crosses throughout the game and at the end it was an indecisive punch from a corner that led to Tom Cleverley's free header to an empty net. He's definitely put himself into the frame for the international side after his last few performances so I guess the question for the March friendlies is: does Randolph keep the shirt, on the basis of his performances in the qualifiers, in spite of being on the bench for West Ham, or do we blood in Elliot, as our only goalkeeper playing in the EPL?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast