Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sweet jesus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

sweet jesus

stuck in on this Friday night and the Late late show is on. not going up with an anti GAA rant but just look at all the GAA "plants" in RTE. Spillane, Des Cahill, Michael Lester, Eileen Dunne, Marty Morrissy, and shed loads of other soap dodgers. The latest "plant" is that leggy girl Evanne something. The church may not run RTE anymore but its clear to see whos taking their place.
    licence fee back please
    Last edited by gael353; 09/01/2009 at 10:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    On the other hand, Brush Shields is a car crash.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    The whole brood is there, couldnt listen to Bertie, nearly fell asleep!
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    That is a great reason why to go to a L.O.I. game on a friday night. Avoiding things like this.
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    All that bigot-ball is painful. Perhaps they will have a special Late Late Show in 2013 for the 150th Anniversary of Association Football.

or the 130th Anniversary of Irish football in 2010.

or the 130th Anniversary of IRFU this year 2009.

All older, and all more important (or a worldwide level) that the GAH.

Though somehow I doubt the Gah bigot plants in RTE would have it.
    "No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    All that bigot-ball is painful. Perhaps they will have a special Late Late Show in 2013 for the 150th Anniversary of Association Football.

they are not 'older' than football or hurling at all so get your facts right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post

Older than gaelic football, but not older than hurling I believe.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelarmyexile View Post

I often wonder is the prereqisite to supporting you local LOI club either:
    - going to the games as a fan
    or
    - hating the "gah"

In fairness, it was tv programme. Big deal.
    If you are nice to them, they might give you a few business lessons so that you won't have your hand out same time, same place next year for a few bob to bail you out. Form an orderly queue now - Shels/Drogs/Harps/Pats/Bohs......

PS I can't believe that they RTE/GAA still give that crook Ahern a platform.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post

Facts? Rugby (1845) and association (1863) football were both codified earlier than gaelic games (1884). Getting into a debate about which is older beyond that involves a definition of when each of the four (three given rugby and association football came from the same vague class of ball game) became a sport as opposed to half a village chasing an inflated pig bladder or pile of rags while beating the **** out of the next village over (with or without sticks). I'm inclined to not do that. Then there's the debate over just how much gaelic football is a genuinely Irish sport as opposed to Cusack's answer to rugby. I'm inclined not to go there either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Wasn't Bertie the main reason why the GAA got €25million of tax payers money to complete Croke Park? Any way the GAA were a bit more interesting than Boyzone.
    Last edited by A face; 13/01/2009 at 1:21 PM. Reason: Fixed quotes

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Facts? Rugby (1845) and association (1863) football were both codified earlier than gaelic games (1884). Getting into a debate about which is older beyond that involves a definition of when each of the four (three given rugby and association football came from the same vague class of ball game) became a sport as opposed to half a village chasing an inflated pig bladder or pile of rags while beating the **** out of the next village over (with or without sticks). I'm inclined to not do that. Then there's the debate over just how much gaelic football is a genuinely Irish sport as opposed to Cusack's answer to rugby. I'm inclined not to go there either.

Does it matter which is older sport? Good god, the ford fiesta is older than the BMW 5 series but it sure as hell doesn't make it better car. If you are rating soccer better than gaa as it is the older of the two, then you're decidely lacking in conviction of your chosen sport. Some perfect to support their local team and choose gaa, some prefer to support a transient bunch of footballers paid to play for team and "love it" ala Andy Gray until a better offer comes along and thus choose football. Each to his own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    No different to american football then or australian football. and yeah what the rebus guy said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I thought it was a great show. GAA plays a huge part in many Irish peoples lifes and its sad to see some bitter jealous comments on here to be honest.
    For all the latest League of Ireland news visit www.extratime.ie

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonO'Bate View Post
    Wasn't Bertie the main reason why the GAA got €25million of tax payers money to complete Croke Park? Any way the GAA were a bit more interesting than Boyzone.[/quote]

Any historian will confirm that Bertie paid the GAA off to resist the change to rule on foreign games at tha time. It would have past until his last minute intervetion to retain his hope for a monument to his greatness in Abbotstown.
    More is the pity that sense didn't prevail with government allowing one signle stadium in DUblin for rugby,football and gaelic games.
    Now we have the situation whereby we'll have two stadia. One under used and one undersized with the money wasted on Berties extravagance better spent on helath and other areas.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L37Ultra View Post
    I thought it was a great show. GAA plays a huge part in many Irish peoples lifes and its sad to see some bitter jealous comments on here to be honest.
    It may be apparent to some but i'd be an advocate of gaa sports. I thought it was a typical lazy RTE production. U could have played bingo with the predictive nature of the guests. Tick them off as they appear...dunphy/heffo/sean boylan/the presidents/dubs vs kerry 70's/spillane/des cahill/etc etc Nothing insightful. Nothing new. Just rehashed stories. The likes of celebirty baineistoir gives far better insight in day to day workings of GAA and its benefits.....similar to what happens in many junior/underage soccer clubs as well I might add.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebus2008 View Post
    Does it matter which is older sport? Good god, the ford fiesta is older than the BMW 5 series but it sure as hell doesn't make it better car. If you are rating soccer better than gaa as it is the older of the two, then you're decidely lacking in conviction of your chosen sport. Some perfect to support their local team and choose gaa, some prefer to support a transient bunch of footballers paid to play for team and "love it" ala Andy Gray until a better offer comes along and thus choose football. Each to his own.
    I don't give a damn worth Drogheda United which is older. I just think that when someone uses the phrase "get your facts straight" as a prop under a total lack of supporting facts, he should be sat on by Keith Foy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    If you are nice to them, they might give you a few business lessons so that you won't have your hand out same time, same place next year for a few bob to bail you out. Form an orderly queue now - Shels/Drogs/Harps/Pats/Bohs.......
    Huh? ...like what? Don't pay the geese laying the golden eggs?

Does it matter which is older sport? .
    Yes it bloody well does. I would say that when one of an organisations stated raison d'etre is to preserve an ancient Irish game when, in fact, their game is plucked out of thin air and is younger than the "new" "foreign" games it's supposed to be protected from ... then yes it matters which is older. Gaelic Football claims an antiquity and, in its very name, a franchise for which it can produce sweet f all provenance.

In a very real way it's a reactionary offshoot born of the worst instincts of an isolationist nationalism that happened to be trendy at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by L37Ultra View Post
    I acknowledge the huge part it plays in peoples lives. What I think gets peoples hump up is the presumption that everyone loves the GAA. There was one character for example who claimed, with a straight face, that through the worst of the troubles -GAA got the people through. :-o

More is the pity that sense didn't prevail with government allowing one signle stadium in DUblin for rugby,football and gaelic games.
    If only some would see sense, shrink their pitches, trim their uprights, stop using terms like "shkelp" and "timber" and replace them with terms like "aplomb" and "ever so well"....

Last edited by Lionel Ritchie; 10/01/2009 at 11:13 AM.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gael353 View Post
    The church may not run RTE anymore but its clear to see whos taking their place.
    licence fee back please
    Plus ca change -- http://vodpod.com/watch/1261325-apre...ii?pod=ifpress

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

GAA.

Im a big GAA supporter but wait,shock horror,im also a huge Galway Utd fan.According to some people here thats just not on,tut tut.The attitude of some people here is laughable.The GAA is the life blood of hundreds of parishes and areas around the country and not just rural either.
    I didnt see the program last night but maybe RTE could have done the program differently from the sounds of it.Setanta sports did a great program on it around xmas time where they showed all the volenteers doing their bit behind the scenes.Their program got to the real grassroots of it.RTE CANT NOT do a program on the grassroots of anything(sport,politics etc) as they are so obbsessed with so called big names.
    So maybe Gael353 your rant should be more at RTE then the GAA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    This should be in the 'Other Sports' or even better, 'Rubbish' section surely?

I'm a LOI fan, I don't want to be seeing stuff about bogball in the league section.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast