Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Registering a .ie domain name

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Registering a .ie domain name

Right ive been asked to submit a letter staking claim to a name while registering a domain name any idea what i should put ?

Its not a personal name or a company etc , for example how would you stake claim to a domain name like www.sittingdown.ie ?

Also i case anyone is interested for today only they are a tenner !! you can even register for 10 years at 10 euro a year.

http://blog.blacknight.com/crazy-ins...main-sale.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    The easiest way is to register a business name, but it looks like you're buying on a bargain whim, so the €30 probably defeats the purpose.

After that the only legitimate way to register it as a non-business is to just come up with a very good reason, put it in a letter, and submit it under the Discretionary category.

Less legitimately, you could follow the instructions for an Unincorporated Association. Haven't done one of those in a while, dunno how strict they are these days.

When the domain comes up for renewal, give me a shout and we'll transfer you into the fold, get you hosted on the same server as the prestigious Foot.ie.

adam

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well ive been working on it for a while but yea im buying now due to the bargin price so i wouldnt be against registering it as a business name only that i have already subbmitted it under the discretionary catagory so it is just the "very good reason" im stuck on.

Should i just outline what the site is going to be and the name requested and hope for the best ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    It's usually best to tie Discretionary to a business. Outling the basics of a business plan for a startup might be an idea. The word "startup" might brighten their imagination.

adam

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    ya but then it costs a lotmore if you have to setup a business. i thought its something like 400 euro?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I emailed them asking them for help outlining what i should say when im staking a claim to the domain name they just emailed back saying send a letter stating your claim to the domian name and what the site will do!

great help !!

The problem is ive no reason to claim the name for myself.

Why is it so much hassle why cant they just say oh no one is using that name ok you can have it. Am i better of just getting the .net one will that have all the same rubbish attached to registering it ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    ya but then it costs a lotmore if you have to setup a business. i thought its something like 400 euro?!
    <ting>

I just made you a business with my magic wand. Anyone can be "a business" at any time as a sole trader, it's how I operated - happily - for the first few years of Beecher Networks. You don't need to register anything with anyone unless you:

1. Trade as a name other than your own, in which case you should register a Registered Business Name with the Companies Registration Office.
    2. Generate revenues over a certain threshold, in which case you need to register for VAT.

There are other circumstances, but those are the primary ones.

Quote Originally Posted by anto1208 View Post
    I emailed them asking them for help outlining what i should say when im staking a claim to the domain name they just emailed back saying send a letter stating your claim to the domian name and what the site will do!
    If the name isn't for you, get the person that wants it to register it, explaining their claim. If it really is for you, well, write the claim down, like you were told. At that price, Blacknight aren't exactly covered for hand-holding. They're selling at a loss in fact.

Why is it so much hassle why cant they just say oh no one is using that name ok you can have it. Am i better of just getting the .net one will that have all the same rubbish attached to registering it ?
    Because IE is a managed registry that (attempts to) keep riff-raff, spammers, squatters and other tossers out. In some ways it's good, in some ways it's bad. But if you don't like it, don't register the domain!

NET is an open registery, you can register what you want. If the site isn't specifically targetting at Ireland, register that.

adam
    Last edited by dahamsta; 09/01/2009 at 6:03 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Woo hoo got my domain

Turns out it wasnt as complicated as they where making out i just wrote a nice polite letter saying i had no claim to the name but i wanted it becaue it was important to concept of the site and that was it just got verification there should go live at 5pm. All i need now is to finish building it and then get it hosted

I was going to go with blacknight for hosting they offer a hosting service for 4.95 a month and have a site builder included. Unless anyone has a better solution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto1208 View Post
    Woo hoo got my domain

Turns out it wasnt as complicated as they where making out i just wrote a nice polite letter saying i had no claim to the name but i wanted it becaue it was important to concept of the site and that was it just got verification there should go live at 5pm. All i need now is to finish building it and then get it hosted

I was going to go with blacknight for hosting they offer a hosting service for 4.95 a month and have a site builder included. Unless anyone has a better solution.
    Apart from Beecher Networks, balcknight are prbably the best host in the country.
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    what's the site name anto?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    See first post
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc View Post
    See first post
    Its not the one in the first post i put that as i didnt want someone to rob the name while i was arsing about trying to register it

Not sure on the "advertising" your own website rules here so i hadnt posted it but i suppose since it doesnt exsist yet it might be ok.

its going to be www.bone-idle.ie ( delete if its breaking rules ).

Not really sure what to put on the site, at the moment ( yes i came up with the name before the concept )im thinking ill start with my online gaming idea. If you have a ps3/xbox etc you can sign up and get into leagues etc with other users. BAsically if you buy a PS3 and have no online friends to play against you can come on and meet some there, players will have feedback for cheats and ill try to do some kind of ranking system so you can get like minded/aged/skill level players to play against. No point going into a death match with someone with 40 days of COD played when you have 10 mins played.

Ive about 20 friends online and i reckon at least 10 of them will join and they will have at least 20 friends each and if they get 10 to join etc etc it could grow nicely pretty quickly. Im sure there are plenty of other sites doing similar things but its just for a laugh i cant see how id make any money from it nor am i too pushed.

That will be one aspect of it anyway.