Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Croke Park

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    both tenants, irfu in particular, made more money in the first year using croke park than they did in any year using Lansdowne. The additional revenue from additional punters, higher capacity for corporate seats etc far outweighed the additional rent it was costing
    The FAI had a hefty price increase on moving to Croker which they won't be going back on so they'll make more money in the new Lansdowne than they did in the old stadium too.

Quote Originally Posted by Torn-Ado View Post
    Perhaps it could be used for friendlies in spring when the siix nations is on etc.
    No chance, the place wouldn't have been even half full for the Poland game without away fans.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    No chance, the place wouldn't have been even half full for the Poland game without away fans.
    Tickets were already sold though, so it made no difference to the FAI coffers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BaZmO* View Post
    Tickets were already sold though, so it made no difference to the FAI coffers
    They were sold because they were grouped with the previous qualifier. If the qualifier is in 50,000 capacity Lansdowne, they'll never sell the other 22,000+ tickets to fill Croker.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They were sold because they were grouped with the previous qualifier. If the qualifier is in 50,000 capacity Lansdowne, they'll never sell the other 22,000+ tickets to fill Croker.
    I know, that's what I said in my previous post.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Good financial business by the FAI IMO and i have no complaints because I try to go to all the home games anyways.

If friendlies were sold on their own, i think for the vast majority they would be lucky to get more than 35k. I remember plenty of friendlies at LR in recent times against decent opposition with crowds just around the 30k mark.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    The FAI had a hefty price increase on moving to Croker which they won't be going back on so they'll make more money in the new Lansdowne than they did in the old stadium too.
    they may make more in the new stadium than the old but both the irfu and fai have done very well from the move to cp. if my memory is right in the 1st year of rugby in cp the irfu made its first profit in years. the fai too effectively increased its capacity for competitive matches from 34k to 70k+ which equates to about an additional €2m in additional gate receipts alone. if cp is available for a match like holland 01 id say its a pretty sure bet it will be played in cp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janeymac View Post
    As for it being a slow day for a journo - someone from Dublin GAA was supporting the idea before Xmas - now Clare GAA are talking about it.

The canvassing has started - expect a motion at a GAA agm in the near future.
    A motion has all ready been passed at the Clare County Convention. A vote will be taken at congress in april to make the exsisting arrangement permanent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    they may make more in the new stadium than the old but both the irfu and fai have done very well from the move to cp. if my memory is right in the 1st year of rugby in cp the irfu made its first profit in years. the fai too effectively increased its capacity for competitive matches from 34k to 70k+ which equates to about an additional €2m in additional gate receipts alone. if cp is available for a match like holland 01 id say its a pretty sure bet it will be played in cp
    I would hope the FAI would not move such a game.

The atmosphere at such a game would not be the same at Croke Park.

I think once Lansdowne is ready it will become a permanent home and thus a real home venue.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good riddance if you ask me. Even though I live nearbye I won't be sorry if I never had to watch a footie game in there again.
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    I would hope the FAI would not move such a game.

The atmosphere at such a game would not be the same at Croke Park.

I think once Lansdowne is ready it will become a permanent home and thus a real home venue.
    agree but with premium seat sales for the new stadium very slow the fai will look to cash in anyway they can. agree 100% about the atmosphere

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    agree but with premium seat sales for the new stadium very slow the fai will look to cash in anyway they can. agree 100% about the atmosphere
    False economy though if we fail to qualify.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Most international stadiums have running tracks around them. No one complains about been miles from the action at these venues. I can gaurentee you if we are still in with a shout next october when the italians come to town there will be no lack of athmosphere in croker.

I have been going to both venues for many years and landsdowne road is no different to croke park and only on a handful of occassions has the crowd been really vocal in landsdowne yet we are 10 times more vocal at away games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDub View Post
    Most international stadiums have running tracks around them. No one complains about been miles from the action at these venues. I can gaurentee you if we are still in with a shout next october when the italians come to town there will be no lack of athmosphere in croker.

I have been going to both venues for many years and landsdowne road is no different to croke park and only on a handful of occassions has the crowd been really vocal in landsdowne yet we are 10 times more vocal at away games.
    Always will be this way......it's the hard core fans that travel at great expense and effort, and are usually hugely outnumbered (with the exception of Paris!!) so they put the passionate effort into vocally supporting the team.........usually assisted by 2 or 3 days drinking which helps to wipe out any inhibition
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    IF, and I stress a massive if, this was a viable deal on the table there would have to be serious changes to existing contracts.

Issues such as the ban on promoting the LOI etc on the big screens, removal of flags may seem trivial, but they are symptomatic of the mindset.

The quicker we are out of there the better.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Brehony.

Brehony mentioned it in the indo alright about opening croker.Hes obsessed with stirring it and the fianances of the GAA.No point using Croker,poor atmosphere and would only fill for maybe 2 games of the qualifiers,epecially if we are out of the running mid way through a group.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDub View Post

Most don't actually. Even those that do you seem closer to the action.

The atmosphere has been rubbish at every football match in Croke Park except maybe when Bohs played there 100 years back. The Poles did put on a show and fair play to them but the atmosphere was still poor. It hasn't been a patch on Lansdowne.

Ditto for rugby with the exception of the england game

It may well be for GAA but it is a GAA stadium and the crowd is on top of the pitch there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    In order to make Croke Park financially attractive to the FAI and IRFU following Lansdowne Road completion, they would need to be fairly sure of selling the extra 20k seats (remember the seats mean Croker's capacity is reduced) and the rent would need to be considerably less than it is at the minute.

Can't see it happening. Nor would I want to.

But I'm enjoying the Gah-heads coming over all benevolent now there's a recession.

Croke Park stopped us having to play abroad but like Maribor and GSpain I can't wait to get back to Lansdowne.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    But I'm enjoying the Gah-heads coming over all benevolent now there's a recession.
    That doesn't make a lot a sense.
    There is no indication that previous opponents of opening up Croker are now advocating more openness.

Actually, in a poll conducted by the GPA of it's members, some 95% wanted Croker to be opened up, (at the very least) while Lansdowne was being renovated. That was long before the word recession entered the common vocabularily.

It is common knowledge that there would be a later debate on opening up by those in the GAA who want to dump rule 42.
    The debate is being promoted by people who want to ditch rule 42.

The argument for Croker though has little economic merit once new Lansdowne is opened.
    There is another picture, a few of the county boards that might well have voted against relaxing the rule 42 but have decided (so reluctantly) to accept their share of the rent revenues might well be more open to supporting moves to rent out facilities/or renovate facilities up to a standard for renting out.
    Last edited by geysir; 10/01/2009 at 2:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    Most don't actually. Even those that do you seem closer to the action..
    Well a few stadiums i have been to in the last few years have running tracks around them for example Tehran, Yokahama, Nigata, Paris, Stuttgart, Tbilisi, Tirana, They are a few that come to mind also bari and sofia have them too.

QUOTE=gspain;1084215]The atmosphere has been rubbish at every football match in Croke Park except maybe when Bohs played there 100 years back. The Poles did put on a show and fair play to them but the atmosphere was still poor. It hasn't been a patch on Lansdowne. ..[/QUOTE]

Yes and why is there a lack of atmosphere because the fans cant be bothered to get behind the team as you say the poles made an effort, so there is no reason why we cant. We certainly make ourselves heard at away games.

Hopefully the proposed singing section in the davin stand will make a difference and maybe we might get a few new songs to sing as the songs we have are tired and outdated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Comprehensively put to bed in today's IT.

We're on our way........
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast