Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clubs hold crisis talks in bid to secure survival Print

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Post Clubs hold crisis talks in bid to secure survival Print

Financial problems are continuing to plague League of Ireland clubs, with three sides holding crisis meetings in a bid to secure their survival.

Finn Harps are appealing to fans for further support in raising €150,000 before January 26, while Drogheda United are thought to have an even bigger mountain to climb.

Athlone's Patrons Scheme, meanwhile, hopes to raise €400,000 over two years to clear the club's debts.

Read more at www.breakingnews.ie
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    This is becoming a joke. In fact its well behond that. I can't help but worry that clubs will get out of all these problems due to huge work by supporters and clubs will take this for granted. Then 3-4 years down the line we will end up back in this god forsaken mess with clubs appealling to fans again only this time the fans will have had enough. And only too right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Cork and Drogheda need to be in the First Division at most next season, for the good of the league. If Drogheda survive it will only have been down to charity, and players being ripped off, and even after all Cork have been through over the year, their business practices are still terrible. That manager debacle is nothing short of a joke. Neither club should be granted a Premier Licence if this league is going to improve in any way, and it is pretty debatable as to whether Drogheda should even get a First Division 1 if they survive. A League is the place for them.
    Lets redefine what it means to heal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Very tough on Finn Harps,who must raise somthing like €150,000 by January 26 as said above,I hope that the league can survive the current economic downturn.
    Last edited by sheao; 06/01/2009 at 7:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I don't know about Cork but the situation of Drogheda United is beyond belief. Drogheda want to come out of this mess which was entirerly of their own making debt-free and still in the Premier Division. A massive bit of cop-on required. There is absolutely no reason why they can't agree to make future payments to the players. Harps, Athlone, Sligo and just about every other club in the league will start next season with big debts, why shouldn't Drogheda United.

Oh I forgot, the situation they are in is not their fault!!! Fair play to the players that stood up to them.
    Neale Fenn on retiring: 'I think once you finish you might as well finish rather than making all sorts of comebacks.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    The main problem down in Cork is that City owe players wages from the examinership period last season and must pay the wages owed by the 31 Januray to get a licence from the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMorgan View Post
    Sligo and just about every other club in the league will start next season with big debts
    FAIK we will start at lot less "debt-ridden" next season than the other LOI clubs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Think Drogheda should be relegated for their sake and for the good of the league. Would like Shels to come up in their place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeO View Post
    Think Drogheda should be relegated for their sake and for the good of the league. Would like Shels to come up in their place.
    If only one club is relegated then Shels will not be promoted, should Harps and Cobh fail to meet the premier licence requirements then UCD will be staying up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    On second thoughts then, I hope Drogs stay up. I hope we're rid of UCD for good!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    On second thoughts then, I hope Drogs stay up. I hope we're rid of UCD for good!!
    The 'U' stands for 'Undead'
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    If UCD are going largely amateur, then theres no way they'll apply to be promoted to the Premier Division is there? They'd be cannonfodder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMorgan View Post
    I don't know about Cork but the situation of Drogheda United is beyond belief. Drogheda want to come out of this mess which was entirerly of their own making debt-free and still in the Premier Division. A massive bit of cop-on required. There is absolutely no reason why they can't agree to make future payments to the players. Harps, Athlone, Sligo and just about every other club in the league will start next season with big debts, why shouldn't Drogheda United.

Oh I forgot, the situation they are in is not their fault!!! Fair play to the players that stood up to them.
    wise up you fool. get your facts right before you come on here posting.
    maybe you might enlighten us as to the big debts sligo rovers are starting next year with.
    i am already sick of dundalk b******* on here.
    Last edited by sligored; 06/01/2009 at 9:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Ask your chairman. You know, the guy that said back in July.

" “It is a matter of fact that if Sligo Rovers Football Club do not raise substantial funds by the end of August 2008 the club will no longer exist in football.' "

Of course you're debt-free now. Sorry for suggesting otherwise.

Last edited by SMorgan; 06/01/2009 at 11:22 PM.
    Neale Fenn on retiring: 'I think once you finish you might as well finish rather than making all sorts of comebacks.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [quote=SMorgan;1082162]Ask your chairman. You know, the guy that said back in July.

" “It is a matter of fact that if Sligo Rovers Football Club do not raise substantial funds by the end of August%
    Last edited by Rovers Maniac; 06/01/2009 at 11:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    I didn't say we would fail to get the licence though , I just said that if we were to fail then Cobh then UCD would be ahead of Shels in the pecking order for Premier places.

Before people ask, I do think we would be hammered if we were to stay up but its better getting hammered in the premier with the revenue available than getting hammered in the first division with no lucrative revenue streams available whatsoever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Theres absolutely no way clubs who are clawing funds from the fans for survival in the close season, should be given Premier licences. Leniency like that is half the reason the league is in this state. Clubs are allowed run themselves into the ground, pay pretty much nothing to creditors, not pay their players what they're owed, and bleed the fans dry to ensure survival. Cork, Drogheda, Cobh and Harps should not be in the Premier Division next season. They've all acted despicably and if the FAI aren't going to do anything about it, they may aswell kiss goodbye to this league ever running within its means.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFShels View Post
    Theres absolutely no way clubs who are clawing funds from the fans for survival in the close season, should be given Premier licences. Leniency like that is half the reason the league is in this state. Clubs are allowed run themselves into the ground, pay pretty much nothing to creditors, not pay their players what they're owed, and bleed the fans dry to ensure survival. Cork, Drogheda, Cobh and Harps should not be in the Premier Division next season. They've all acted despicably and if the FAI aren't going to do anything about it, they may aswell kiss goodbye to this league ever running within its means.
    Says the model club. Short memories.

If any of the forementioned clubs were to sort out their finances then why should they be denied a place in the Premier Division?

I wonder if Shels had of been promoted would you be singing off the same hymn sheet?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The developments at Harps are interesting and raise a lot of questions.

It seems the FAI vetoed the proposed budget for the year since we were carrying over debt from this year and they did not believe it could be sustained. Also, the FAI have stated that they want clubs debt free within the next few years. Hence Harps could end up in a holding pattern with a tiny budget for a year as we get our house in order.

Personally I have no problem with this and actually suspect that the FAI has saved us from ourselves.

The question is whether the FAI are taking such a strong line at all clubs and whether it is likely to be rigorously enforced at licensing time.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Cork and Drogheda should be demoted for non payment of creditors. Paying any creditor less than 100% what they are owed is gaining a sporting advantage on all other teams. It should be punished by demotion in my mind.

Then Harps, Cobh and UCD should be offered the places should they gain a premier licence.

Seems unlikely now that Harps would event want one let alone get one!
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast