Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Shannon rfc fined

Taken from rte.ie

Shannon hit with €25,000 fine by IRFU
    Wednesday, 23 December 2009 13:26
    Shannon RFC has been fined €25,000 and given a suspended six point deduction over the behaviour of their supporters at a match against Cork Constitution earlier this month.

An Irish Rugby Football Union Committee imposed the fine after it found that Shannon supporters verbally abused referee George Clancy after he awarded a late penalty for offside after initially giving a free-kick for a crooked feed into a scrum.

Con's Scott Deasy then kicked the penalty to take an 8-9 win in injury time.

Shannon supporters are understood to have entered the referee's dressing room after the match.

The six-point deduction will only apply if there is another breach this season.

The club has said it intends to appeal the decision.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Was at the match, the ref got a bit of abuse alright but €25,000 fine for an amateur club is a disgrace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Was at the match, the ref got a bit of abuse alright but €25,000 fine for an amateur club is a disgrace.
    I think it was the whole busting into the refs dressing room that got them, im hearing the club president was among them?

Regardless of that 25k is a huge amount alright, might be halved on appeal though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I know a lot of people have a problem with the ref in question but you cant really disagree with the fine (It will probably come out of their Internationals tickets sales). The ref's decision is final and how did supporters manage to get into the officials dressing room in the first place.
    Last edited by centre mid; 23/12/2009 at 3:29 PM. Reason: forgot the words "you cant"
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by centre mid View Post
    I know a lot of people have a problem with the ref in question but you cant really disagree with the fine (It will probably come out of their Internationals tickets sales). The ref's decision is final and how did supporters manage to get into the officials dressing room in the first place.
    Wasn't fans. It was people involved with the club that would regularly be in around the dressing rooms after games. I'm a shannon fan and there is plenty of clowns high up in the club so its not suprising this happened. I was pretty ****ed off myself but not enough to go into his dressing room. It is after all sport and the sooner people realise this crap happens in games, sometimes for you, sometimes against, the better.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Bursting into the referee's room after any match no matter what the level is, is well out of order. Deserving of the fine in my opinion.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post
    Bursting into the referee's room after any match no matter what the level is, is well out of order. Deserving of the fine in my opinion.
    Deserving of a fine, yes. €25,000 for an amateur team, no. For feck sake Alex Ferguson slagged the crap out of a ref and questioned if he was even up to reffing the match and he only got a fine of £5,000 and he is a multi millionaire. On appeal this will be brought down i believe. In the region of 5,000 - 6,000 should be more than enough and a hefty fine for an amateur team who with that kind of a fine and a warning of points deduction should learn to keep there mouths shut.

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041