Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean St Ledger

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    The fact that Trap made Bruce captain of the B side (iirc) and went as far to talk about him moving to Italy when his contract expired suggests he likes the cut of his jib.
    Thats whats so worrying about Trapp! I think long term, this bloke will do more damage than good as he has no forward thinking plans for us.

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!
    Last edited by the doc; 11/02/2009 at 7:35 AM. Reason: text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    Thats whats so worrying about Trapp! I think long term, this bloke will do more damage than good as he has no forward thinking plans for us.

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!
    He's the first manager to put O'Shea in the middle regularly, and it has been successful.

He's also brought in Whelan who has performed well for us in the middle of the park.

McGeady is still a young player who he is keeping faith with as well, and of course he has given Gibson opportunities to develop.

He seems to like Keogh and Long as well, and has given them playing opportunities (and they did well with a small amount of playing time).

He is making some questionable squad decisions, but his team selection is very close to what most people would pick, and this is most important.

Just because he's not giving certain young players a chance, doesn't mean he's not giving young players a chance.

To say he is sabotaging our long-term hopes is unfair and inaccurate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    Thats whats so worrying about Trapp!
    The only topics you are interested in posting about is linked to St Ledger and other Preston related drivel.

I wonder who the "us" are when you write

.... this bloke will do more damage than good as he has no forward thinking plans for us.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    He's the first manager to put O'Shea in the middle regularly, and it has been successful.

He's also brought in Whelan who has performed well for us in the middle of the park.

McGeady is still a young player who he is keeping faith with as well, and of course he has given Gibson opportunities to develop.

He seems to like Keogh and Long as well, and has given them playing opportunities (and they did well with a small amount of playing time).

He is making some questionable squad decisions, but his team selection is very close to what most people would pick, and this is most important.

Just because he's not giving certain young players a chance, doesn't mean he's not giving young players a chance.

To say he is sabotaging our long-term hopes is unfair and inaccurate.
    Time will tell! He is only using players in and around the squad, regardless of their form or if they are playing regular 1st team football.

Most of the starting 11, pick it's self, we could all do that but where is the quality after that?

This will be a false dawn regardless of World Cup qualification, mark my words.

Trapp, Givens and Brady OUT!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Time will tell! He is only using players in and around the squad, regardless of their form or if they are playing regular 1st team football.

Most of the starting 11, pick it's self, we could all do that but where is the quality after that?

This will be a false dawn regardless of World Cup qualification, mark my words.

Trapp, Givens and Brady OUT!
    I see what you're getting at but given that the first XI picks itself, what more can really be done? By the time WC 2010 is over - with us having been there hopefully - a natural changeover will take place. The "quality after that" you're looking for will probably emerge naturally. For example, I can see a time coming where Foley will be make RB his own just on the strength of his performances at club level.

I personally think some in the squad (Miller, Bruce...) are lucky to be there and others like St. Ledger should be there but most of where I'd disagree with Trap are marginal decisions, Andy Reid excepted.

You can make a case for Garvan, Walters, Tabb and others but they're all marginal. My gripe is that there's an apparent lack of imagination, but then again, picking Gibson & Andrews is hardly conservative management. Therte are only so many chances one can take.

If Trap's system works then great. We've got to start achieving again. You don't get points for artistic merit or for imaginative squad selection.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I see what you're getting at but given that the first XI picks itself, what more can really be done? By the time WC 2010 is over - with us having been there hopefully - a natural changeover will take place. The "quality after that" you're looking for will probably emerge naturally. For example, I can see a time coming where Foley will be make RB his own just on the strength of his performances at club level.

I personally think some in the squad (Miller, Bruce...) are lucky to be there and others like St. Ledger should be there but most of where I'd disagree with Trap are marginal decisions, Andy Reid excepted.

You can make a case for Garvan, Walters, Tabb and others but they're all marginal. My gripe is that there's an apparent lack of imagination, but then again, picking Gibson & Andrews is hardly conservative management. Therte are only so many chances one can take.

If Trap's system works then great. We've got to start achieving again. You don't get points for artistic merit or for imaginative squad selection.
    Thats a fair assessment, but what does that say to up and coming players who are playing well and getting regular 1st team football.

We aren't even giving the likes of St Ledger a chance in the "B" games, Trapp going with Bruce and other squad players so what good is that?

The policy is all wrong, I could live with some of his decisions if there was a good back up structure, but there isn't.

It looks as though we could lose St Ledger to the North, through all this, surely this is wrong when we could of at least given him a game at some stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    My god, if the_doc is really an Irish fan, though I get the impression he's just a Preston fan, then we have plummeted to new depths.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    My god, if the_doc is really an Irish fan, though I get the impression he's just a Preston fan, then we have plummeted to new depths.
    Get a life! I'm a Preston and Ireland fan, whats wrong with that? Not all of us Irish are glory hunters supporting the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool.
    Last edited by the doc; 11/02/2009 at 2:08 PM. Reason: Text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    It looks as though we could lose St Ledger to the North

Fair enough so. If he'd rather play for NI than wait a bit longer then he obviously doesn't want to play for us as much as you claim he does

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Not all of us Irish are glory hunters

You're right, some of us support our own league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Get a life! I'm a Preston and Ireland fan, whats wrong with that? Not all of us Irish are glory hunters supporting the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool.
    I'm a Shamrock Rovers fan.
    And if you're talking about sacking Trapattoni because he chooses Alex Bruce of Ipswich, instead of St Ledger of Preston, to be fourth choice centre back then you're not an Irish fan.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    I'm a Shamrock Rovers fan.
    And if you're talking about sacking Trapattoni because he chooses Alex Bruce of Ipswich, instead of St Ledger of Preston, to be fourth choice centre back then you're not an Irish fan.
    St Ledger would be 1st choice alongside Dunne, given a chance and few games.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Actually its because I'm an Irish fan that I want our manager to pick the best players not stick with deadbeat mediocrities who will lose us vital games if we ever have to pick them. I dont think this is a fine judgement issue between Bruce and St Ledger, the latter is a conspicuously and vastly more talented player. The worry is that our management either cannot see it, or simply dont want to admit that their inexplicable selection of Bruce and McShane was based on shameful ignorance or laziness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Are you eleven years old, or do you just know nothing about football?

John O'Shea, Champions League winner, Premier League veteran, 50 times capped by Ireland and possibly our best player so far in this competition, dropped for uncapped twenty four year old who has played in the Championship and League One.

IF St Ledger ever makes a squad he will take Bruce's place, fourth choice behind the Premier League and International experience of Dunne, O'Shea and McShane (who despite being far from perfect, will always be chosen ahead of an inexperienced championship player like St Ledger...and let's not forget that McShane looked a quality defender in the Championship too)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Actually its because I'm an Irish fan that I want our manager to pick the best players not stick with deadbeat mediocrities who will lose us vital games if we ever have to pick them. I dont think this is a fine judgement issue between Bruce and St Ledger, the latter is a conspicuously and vastly more talented player. The worry is that our management either cannot see it, or simply dont want to admit that their inexplicable selection of Bruce and McShane was based on shameful ignorance or laziness.
    First of all calm down, we're discussing fourth choice centre back. What do you mean by ignorance and laziness?
    How many times have you seen Bruce play? How many times have you seen St Ledger play? Are you basing your opinion on third parties?

If McShane was playing for Preston he'd be doing quite well, and have the idiot internet masses demanding he starts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    If McShane was playing for Preston he'd be doing quite well, and have the idiot internet masses demanding he starts.
    Thats quite a harsh and poorly thought out comment. If we had any player performing well for a club side in the top two divisions then it would be more than justifiable for someone to make out an argument that he should start for our national side.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Are you eleven years old, or do you just know nothing about football?

John O'Shea, Champions League winner, Premier League veteran, 50 times capped by Ireland and possibly our best player so far in this competition, dropped for uncapped twenty four year old who has played in the Championship and League One.

IF St Ledger ever makes a squad he will take Bruce's place, fourth choice behind the Premier League and International experience of Dunne, O'Shea and McShane (who despite being far from perfect, will always be chosen ahead of an inexperienced championship player like St Ledger...and let's not forget that McShane looked a quality defender in the Championship too)
    He looked far from that, uncomfortable on the ball, rash challenges, out of position, playing his team mates into trouble.

It was only his "up and at em" style of play that got many of the fans overlooking what experienced people in the game could see.

WBA, couldn't wait to off load him to Sunderland who too have realised how poor he is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He looked far from that, uncomfortable on the ball, rash challenges, out of position, playing his team mates into trouble.
    Yet he won player of the year and motm, after motm, after motm. I read most of the Brighton match reports and he was a messiah for them. Fair enough Brighton are a poor team and Adam Virgo was excellent for them but there's the Brighton fans certainly rated him very highly.

He's been playing right back pretty much ever since. Probably 10 games at centre half in that time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    First of all calm down, we're discussing fourth choice centre back. What do you mean by ignorance and laziness?
    How many times have you seen Bruce play? How many times have you seen St Ledger play? Are you basing your opinion on third parties?

whats the difference between the bolded statement and any other statement made so far - just as opinionated, just as difficult to prove and just as ridiculous.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Yeh I don't think a player must be playing in the premiership for us to judge him. But I think McShane is a centre half, not a right back in a million years, and because of his inexperience in that position he needs to be playing beside a decent organiser.

And by the way, a decent organiser could sort out his poor positioning and lack of pace in one go. If that happens you've a great little player imo.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 11/02/2009 at 3:39 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast