Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean St Ledger

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I havent seen St Ledger play enough to make a call whether he should be called up the the Irish squad or not, but Ive just seen on the Irish abroad thread that Eddie Nolan has been called into the Irish squad and St Ledger hasnt which led to a lad on the same thread asking if the Irish management even know he is Irish. Now I just want to play Devils Advocate here for a second, but is it possible that St Ledger himself doesnt want to be included in the squad and has eyes on an England cap in future???
    Im not trying to be a smart ass because Im open to any lad playing for us no matter where he is born, Im just throwing out the question
    To be honest I have been wondering this myself.
    Maybe he has asked not to be included for the time being, otherwise it is baffling why he has not been included in recent squads.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    To be honest I have been wondering this myself.
    Maybe he has asked not to be included for the time being, otherwise it is baffling why he has not been included in recent squads.
    Spoke to St Ledger after the game, he said he was gutted at not being called up.

He also said that he had been asked if he is prepared to make himself available for NI!

I just fail to understand why a player of such ability is being overlooked for the likes of McShane and Bruce.

Alan McInally said about him on Sky "Championship Team, Premiership Quality" so if he can see it why not Trapp?
    Last edited by the doc; 08/02/2009 at 1:11 PM. Reason: TEXT

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    Spoke to St Ledger after the game, he said he was gutted at not being called up.

He also said that he had been asked if is prepared to make himself available for NI!

I just fail to understand why a player of such ability is being overlooked for the likes of McShane and Bruce.

Alan McInally said about him on Sky "Championship Team, Premiership Quality" so if he can see it why not Trapp?
    Did he say he say it is something he is giving serious thought to doing??
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Did he say he say it is something he is giving serious thought to doing??
    Never said, but he did say that he'd always wanted to play for the Republic since he was a lad.

From what I've been told, his Grandfather was from Carlow in the south and his Grandmother was from Omagh in the north.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    923 Posts
    Never said, but he did say that he'd always wanted to play for the Republic since he was a lad.

From what I've been told, his Grandfather was from Carlow in the south and his Grandmother was from Omagh in the north.
    Well at least Trap has been to see him play a few times now so Im sure he cant be too far away from a call up
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Don't understand what the fuss is all about. Finnan is injured. St Ledger is not a full back. Nolan is. He got called up.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    For God's sake the non-selection of St Ledger is hardly 'baffling'. There isn't a whole lot between him and Bruce both are decent young Championship players, maybe, just maybe Trapattoni actually prefers what Bruce offers as a CB to what St Ledger currently offers, despite the fact St Ledger has gotten a few good write ups and the fact Preston are in 6th and Ipswich 10th which of course is vital to the barstoolers, until of course they read next week's positive review about a League One centre midfielder...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    For God's sake the non-selection of St Ledger is hardly 'baffling'. There isn't a whole lot between him and Bruce both are decent young Championship players, maybe, just maybe Trapattoni actually prefers what Bruce offers as a CB to what St Ledger currently offers, despite the fact St Ledger has gotten a few good write ups and the fact Preston are in 6th and Ipswich 10th which of course is vital to the barstoolers, until of course they read next week's positive review about a League One centre midfielder...
    Has Trap even had St ledger in a squad to have a look at him.
    Bruce did not do that well for Ipswich on saturday.
    There are a lot of people on this board that believe that St ledger is a better player than Bruce and are entitled to voice their opinions.
    At least Trap is having a look a some of the players at the moment which will deflect a bit of critiism.Why not give St Ledger a callup if there is so little between the two players.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    There's a vast difference between them in terms of ability, St Ledger is far more talented, as for St Ledger getting a few good write ups, well he is Prestons player of the year and the North West player of the year and you don't win those unless you consistently play well.

Bruce is only in the squad because of his fathers connections with DG, fact!

If Trapp was picking players who are playing well at club level then fair enough, but to not even include St Ledger in any of the squads even at B level, is a joke!

Trapp needs to start being his own man and stop listening to our wonderful U21 manager.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    You are wrong there bud. Have you seen either one of them play? If you have and still judge them to be playing at the same level then you better get down to spec savers quick smart.

St Ledger should be in the Irish squad and it would be an absolute shame if the North pinched him from us. Trap fancies Bruce for one reason or another but it can’t be on his football ability. If it is he should join you at the eye clinic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    I've seen both play a few times, St Ledger looks quite good. I'm not denying that, but he's potentially Preston's player of the year, not Barcelona's. Trap likes what Bruce offers, I'd trust Trap to be a pretty good judge of player at this stage of his career. There were people saying Whelan/Gibson/Andrews were Premiership rejects and so shouldn't be anywhere near an Irish XI, yet now two are established as first team players and the other is a real squad player now at Man United.
    There aren't light years in the difference between the two players, they both play at the same level. Those thinking St Ledger's exclusion is a disgrace are probably the first who would turn on him, ala McShane or someone like that, as not being up to it if he was thrown in to a few big games and started making mistakes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've seen both play a few times, St Ledger looks quite good. I'm not denying that, but he's potentially Preston's player of the year, not Barcelona's. Trap likes what Bruce offers, I'd trust Trap to be a pretty good judge of player at this stage of his career. There were people saying Whelan/Gibson/Andrews were Premiership rejects and so shouldn't be anywhere near an Irish XI, yet now two are established as first team players and the other is a real squad player now at Man United.
    There aren't light years in the difference between the two players, they both play at the same level. Those thinking St Ledger's exclusion is a disgrace are probably the first who would turn on him, ala McShane or someone like that, as not being up to it if he was thrown in to a few big games and started making mistakes.
    This guy will be in the premier one way or the other next season, i heard he was class on saturday.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    I heard he was great on Saturday too. Bruce can play right back which might well be why he just shades it - though the Don's infuence may be a malign feature at work here. As a CB I think St. Ledger is probably quite a bit ahead of Bruce.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I heard he was great on Saturday too. Bruce can play right back which might well be why he just shades it - though the Don's infuence may be a malign feature at work here. As a CB I think St. Ledger is probably quite a bit ahead of Bruce.
    St Ledger has played at right back for Preston on a number of occassions too, and has also played right wing back, sweeper and defensive midfield so far in his career.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Really! Well one is good on the ball, good in the air, reads the game well and has good pace, whilst the other one has a famous Dad!
    Last edited by the doc; 09/02/2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: text

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Really! Well one is good on the ball, good in the air, reads the game well and has good pace, whilst the other one has a famous Dad!

A "famous Dad" who got rid of him at Birmingham.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    A "famous Dad" who got rid of him at Birmingham.
    Because he was going to sign St Ledger who he rated as a better player with more potential.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    There were people saying Whelan/Gibson/Andrews were Premiership rejects and so shouldn't be anywhere near an Irish XI, yet now two are established as first team players and the other is a real squad player now at Man United.
    I think most of these people u speak of would still have a different pairing in midfield than Whelan/Gibson so I'm not sure too much has changed in that regard, other than Whelan getting a few starts due to Diao's injury. You're being very generous to Gibson calling him a real squad player i think. I'd consider a real squad player to be somebody who gets some kind of a run in most games and starts here and there. He'll play one game at the most between now and the end of the season I'd imagine and has only one substitute appearance to his name in the PL this season.

You sound like somebody that's just winging this one. I haven't seen much of St Ledger myself so I'm uncertain as to his promise. I have seen some of Bruce and he looks all kinds of ordinary if I'm being nice. Saying that they are both playing at the same level is neither here nor there, by that logic Ronaldo and Kuyt aren't light-years apart either.

I think you just take things a bit personally when somebody questions da Trapp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I don't think it's likely. St. Ledger has talked openly about his desire to represent Ireland.

I think Nolan is being fast-tracked into the squad because our full-backs are having injury problems (Finnan has hardly played, McShane pulled his hamstring, Kelly just back from injury).

To call St. Ledger up (clearly a centre-half) to remedy a shortage at full-back wouldn't make sense.

That said, St. Ledger should definitely be ahead of Bruce in the pecking order, and thus should be in the squad.
    was St Ledger not also playing fullback at the Posh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyLegal View Post
    I think most of these people u speak of would still have a different pairing in midfield than Whelan/Gibson so I'm not sure too much has changed in that regard, other than Whelan getting a few starts due to Diao's injury. You're being very generous to Gibson calling him a real squad player i think. I'd consider a real squad player to be somebody who gets some kind of a run in most games and starts here and there. He'll play one game at the most between now and the end of the season I'd imagine and has only one substitute appearance to his name in the PL this season.

You sound like somebody that's just winging this one. I haven't seen much of St Ledger myself so I'm uncertain as to his promise. I have seen some of Bruce and he looks all kinds of ordinary if I'm being nice. Saying that they are both playing at the same level is neither here nor there, by that logic Ronaldo and Kuyt aren't light-years apart either.

I think you just take things a bit personally when somebody questions da Trapp.
    I'm not saying I've seen a lot of Bruce, or Ledger for that matter. But then again, these people panning Bruce as being nothing but the son of his famous Dad...how many Ipswich games have they seen? They base their opinions off snippets of games every few weeks, a few newspaper reports and a couple of posts on an internet forum. People see St Ledger getting a good on you from Chris Kamara or whoever it is and suddenly he can read the game brilliantly etc. etc. I'm not knocking the bloke, I hope he is a great player for us, but I highly doubt he'll be the second coming, just as I doubt Bruce will be. Considering Trapattoni has seen both player far more than most of us on here, has far more experience at watching players, and has a better idea at to what a side in our position needs, I'd be willing to trust him over a few barstoolers who read a good write up he got a couple of weeks ago. The fact that Trap made Bruce captain of the B side (iirc) and went as far to talk about him moving to Italy when his contract expired suggests he likes the cut of his jib. And to be honest I think that should take priority over a keyboard fanatic who saw St Ledger put in a great block in a Carling Cup game on Sky...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast