Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Home Farm Record-Breakers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Home Farm Record-Breakers

There was a presentation at the beginning of the month for Home Farm's squad that went on a record-breaking 203 matches undefeated run of matches from 1989(?) 'til the early nineties.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/ju...s-1567181.html
    "...The players who contributed to the remarkable achievement were: John Alcock, Ken Byrne, Jimmy Bouchier, Ciaran Dowling, Marc Kenny, Eric O'Neill, Ken Ring, Greg Syms, Damien Bennett, Christian Bowes, Ciaran Duffy, Pat Goodson, PJ O'Connell, Keith Redmond, Trevor Vaughan, Paul Brennan, Neil Cullen, Anthony Lynch, Gary Kelly, John Platt, Ciaran Murphy, Eddie Van Boxtel, Matthew Buttner, Stephen Dixon, Graham Kavanagh, Kevin Clancy, Brendan Quinlivan, Gary Sliney, Karl Wilson, Karl Whelan."

Ciaran Duffy played with UCD and John Platt was a goalkeeper related to Northern Ireland International Jim Platt.
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    That was some run!

Sad to say I've not heard of many of them, did any of them make it big, apart from internationals Graham Kavanagh and Gary Kelly.

I know Vaughan, VanBoxtel (unavailable to attend- I wonder why!), Kenny and Duffy had decent LoI careers. Sliney also played LoI (badly, for Dundalk around 2004). Some of the other names seem familiar- anyone able to tell us about some of the others?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    That was some run!

Sad to say I've not heard of many of them, did any of them make it big, apart from internationals Graham Kavanagh and Gary Kelly.

I know Vaughan, VanBoxtel (unavailable to attend- I wonder why!), Kenny and Duffy had decent LoI careers. Sliney also played LoI (badly, for Dundalk around 2004). Some of the other names seem familiar- anyone able to tell us about some of the others?
    AFAIK the obvious one is Graham Kavanagh and the PJ O Connell referred to is a son of the (former?)Bohs director,Tony O Connell. Played a bit of League of Ireland but not sure for how long
    Why are people who "need no introduction" always introduced?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpoJoyce View Post
    There was a presentation at the beginning of the month for Home Farm's squad that went on a record-breaking 203 matches undefeated run of matches from 1989(?) 'til the early nineties.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/ju...s-1567181.html
    "...The players who contributed to the remarkable achievement were: John Alcock, Ken Byrne, Jimmy Bouchier, Ciaran Dowling, Marc Kenny, Eric O'Neill, Ken Ring, Greg Syms, Damien Bennett, Christian Bowes, Ciaran Duffy, Pat Goodson, PJ O'Connell, Keith Redmond, Trevor Vaughan, Paul Brennan, Neil Cullen, Anthony Lynch, Gary Kelly, John Platt, Ciaran Murphy, Eddie Van Boxtel, Matthew Buttner, Stephen Dixon, Graham Kavanagh, Kevin Clancy, Brendan Quinlivan, Gary Sliney, Karl Wilson, Karl Whelan."

Ciaran Duffy played with UCD and John Platt was a goalkeeper related to Northern Ireland International Jim Platt.
    some achivement 197 wins / 6 draws / no loses .. scored 1111 goals / conceded 106 goals. they deserved to be honoured after that and should have been ackknowledged more by press & rte / league of ireland / f.a.i /fifa / uefa

" football is a simple game "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    PJ O'Connell went over to Leeds. Came back on loan to Pats about 1993 (ish). Went to Rovers the following season and didn't really do much with them either.

Marc Kenny played most of his career with Rovers> I think Christian Bowes was with Rovers too at one stage
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts

The Under 16 team from the 92-93 season, with Eddie Van Boxtel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    think Christian Bowes was with Rovers too at one stage
    Yes, Bowes was signed by Treacy in his first full season in charge and impressed in his debut v Notts Forest in the RDS. He mainly played in Leinster and League Cup games. He never really broke into the first team and I think played for Arklow Town after Rovers.

bhs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    That was some run!

Played for us as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    bouchier like my mums maiden name. french that is i tell ya