Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Bobby Robson

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Bobby Robson

Just watching Bobby Robson being helped back to his seat at half-time of Newcastle v Liverpool, looking very frail and unrecognisable at first sight.

Bobby's time at Ireland was not successful but I am sure we all wish him all the best and a full recovery if possible. He was always a gentleman and with a manner that many managers should learn from.
    Last edited by Scram; 28/12/2008 at 1:19 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Maybe it's my age but I never understood all the sympathy and respect given to the man at his time in Ireland. While Stan was branded a "muppet" and a "clown", Robson was defended almost as a victim of the FAI. I just don't see it, he was a poor influence in the management of Ireland and that's the only experience I've ever had with him, I don't know what I'm supposed to think of him.
    To be honest Bobbys judgement,ego or whatever let him down when he took the Irish job.
    For reasons of health or age he was not able to do his abilties justice for Ireland.
    The Irish top brass only brought him in as cover for not getting a "top class international manager".
    If Stan and Bobby were guilty of anything it is of taking on jobs that they were not able to do at that time.
    The real questions should be asked of those that offered the jobs in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Very sad to see the way Bobby is nowadays.

His time as whatever role he had at Ireland aside, he had a very respectable career as a manager. On top of that, he always comes across as a genuine football person with hardly ever a bad word to say about anyone, one of the few gentlemen left in football these days.

If people here are going to put Robson down because of what he did as Staunton's assistant and time at Ireland, then they know nothing about football.

(Don't see why this is in the Ireland section though, it should be moved to World Football.)
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Its SIR Robert Robson to yous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    To be honest Bobbys judgement,ego or whatever let him down when he took the Irish job.
    For reasons of health or age he was not able to do his abilties justice for Ireland.
    The Irish top brass only brought him in as cover for not getting a "top class international manager".
    If Stan and Bobby were guilty of anything it is of taking on jobs that they were not able to do at that time.
    The real questions should be asked of those that offered the jobs in the first place.
    Spot on.

I've heard many anecdotes that indicate that Bobby wasn't well in either body or mind whilst in the Ireland job and should clearly never have been offered it.

I remember him being rolled out by the heroes in Abbotstown to defend Stan on national radio when the poor man clearly wasn't fit to do so.

BTW Ciaran, wouldn't expect anything else from someone as naive and clueless as yourself. Go and look up keyboard warrior, fits you to a tee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    [quote=OneRedArmy;1079695

BTW Ciaran, wouldn't expect anything else from someone as naive and clueless as yourself. Go and look up keyboard warrior, fits you to a tee.[/quote]

I agree with you about that guy but would Hemmingway be called a Typewriter warrior? You have to use what you have, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It was sir bobby robson day at newcastle on sunday. Good to see the club recognise a legend.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stiffler View Post
    It was sir bobby robson day at newcastle on sunday. Good to see the club recognise a legend.
    An ENGLISH legend maybe but not an Irish one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoops_R_Us View Post
    An ENGLISH legend maybe but not an Irish one.

Na mate- i was talking about a football legend

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stiffler View Post
    Pity, Mike Ashley used it as a day to announce he wasnt going to sell the club afterall!!
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Maybe it's my age but I never understood all the sympathy and respect given to the man at his time in Ireland. While Stan was branded a "muppet" and a "clown", Robson was defended almost as a victim of the FAI. I just don't see it, he was a poor influence in the management of Ireland and that's the only experience I've ever had with him, I don't know what I'm supposed to think of him.
    yeah likewise - but its kind of an irish thing - nice of him to pocket 100,000 and all

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciaran

Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    yeah likewise - but its kind of an irish thing - nice of him to pocket 100,000 and all
    I didn't have any sympathy for either his appointment or his performance but remember he was out sick for the majority of his time in the post. The appointment was foolish given his medical history just prior to his appointment and I saw him as the Olly Hardy to accompany Stan Laurel but Delaney was head Muppet.

My respect for him is for his years in football and that he was always reasonable.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I forgive the man for being part of the Stan years because, in all likelihood, it was an attempt by Robson to convince himself he was still capable of playing an active role in football management despite his illness. So while yes, his appointment was foolish and an idiotic move by the FAI, I bare Robson no ills for taking the job.