Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brian Clough

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    "I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one". A natural genius.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Tough man: According to Wikipedia, when Clough joined Derby he only kept on 4 players and fired the club secretary, the groundsman and the chief scout along with two tea ladies he caught laughing after a Derby defeat!!
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Clough was a genius
    NF
    Promotion to the top tier 1977 (Liverpool won League and euro cup)
    League winners 1978 (Liverpool won euro cup)
    Euro Cup winners 1979 (knocked out Liverpool 1st round)
    Euro Cup winners 1980 - Last English team to retain cup

This record with a small club was unbelievable and will never be achieved again. I think that Forest are the only team in Europe with more Continental success (2) than domestic success (1). (I only included Liverpools record at the time to emphasise how great Forest's achievements were)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shilts View Post
    Clough was a genius
    NF
    Promotion to the top tier 1977 (Liverpool won League and euro cup)
    League winners 1978 (Liverpool won euro cup)
    Euro Cup winners 1979 (knocked out Liverpool 1st round)
    Euro Cup winners 1980 - Last English team to retain cup

This record with a small club was unbelievable and will never be achieved again. I think that Forest are the only team in Europe with more Continental success (2) than domestic success (1). (I only included Liverpools record at the time to emphasise how great Forest's achievements were)
    You can add in two league titles at Derby County (who could well have won the European Cup too). And he was a phenomenal goal scorer before injury ended his playing career early.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Big week for Cloughie junior. Got off to a very bad start with the home defeat to QPR on Saturday and I'm sure a defeat at OT tonight will very very quickly forgiven once they beat Forest on Friday night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SligoBrewer View Post
    He's gone to Derby.
    Having always been a fan of both Brian Clough and Nigel Clough I was sorry he took up the post. I was there the night he was unveiled as manager and the whole town was at fever pitch point. So much history, talk of the Clough dynasty associated with the club and so much nostalgia. I took in my first game at Pride Park for the League Cup Semi with Manchester Utd and Nigel was presented to the crowd. The atmosphere suggested only one result here and it had as much to do with the new manager arriving. Derby County won 1-0.

I didn't think this was the right move for Nigel Clough though. He spent 10 years at Burton Albion and last season he started to really achieve as manager makng the Conference lay offs and this season he has taken to the top of the table and well clear. The move to Derby ,given the history and expectations of the club, is a difficult one.

Further to his first game in full charge in which Derby lost 2-0 at home to QPR and the side has returned to its most inept of performances he has his work cut out.

On the film production. In order to replicate the Baseball Ground for the purposes of the film production the football ground of Saltergate at nearby Chesterfield was used. Its a favourite ground of mine and I'm presuming its one stand of this they were using to replicate the Baseball Ground. That been the biggest stand with the asbestos roof. The entire stand was also painted green as part of the filming process.

I'll look forward to seeing that film.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsbear View Post
    I didn't think this was the right move for Nigel Clough though. He spent 10 years at Burton Albion and last season he started to really achieve as manager makng the Conference lay offs and this season he has taken to the top of the table and well clear. The move to Derby ,given the history and expectations of the club, is a difficult one.

Further to his first game in full charge in which Derby lost 2-0 at home to QPR and the side has returned to its most inept of performances he has his work cut out.
    I agree that he has indeed got his work cut out but surely this is one of the main reasons he has taken the job. Also I think it's a wonderful situation for him as at least the local support is very much behind him, mainly due to their respect for his father. This should give him the time to put his own mark on the struggling Rams, time which a lot of managers these days do not get. Remember Big Sam at Newcastle last season he was a dead man walking from the start as the idiotic Toon support hated him before a ball was kicked. Derby have the best supporters in England in my opinion and an average home attendance of about 30,000 to see a poor Championship side would testify to that. They also look set to break the record for biggest away support at OT tonight with 12,500 expected to travel. If Clough isn't a success there I don't think he is cut out for that level because he will get everything in the way of backing from both the fans and background staff at Pride Park.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    You can add in two league titles at Derby County (who could well have won the European Cup too). And he was a phenomenal goal scorer before injury ended his playing career early.
    Clough only won one title with Derby (1972), he walked out a year later before Derby won the league again in 1975 under Dave Mackay. Clough went to Brighton first before managing Leeds for 44 days at the start of the 74/75 season.

Clough always regretted leaving Derby.

He WAS a phenomenal goalscorer but in the Second Division.

Derby were cheated in the European Cup Semi Final in 1973 against Juventus when the Italians (and German player Helmut Haller) bribed the German referee.
    Last edited by stojkovic; 20/01/2009 at 9:53 PM.
    "Football is a game you play with your brain".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic View Post
    He WAS a phenomenal goalscorer but in the Second Division.
    An incredible record. 251 goals in 274 league games.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I finally got around to watching 'I Believe In Miracles' which I Sky plussed on BT a while back. Brilliant documentary on Forest's first European Cup win.

Aer Lingus were their carriers for the 1979 final in Munich. They showed that clip of Martin O'Neill schooling Adrian Chiles, Patrick Vieira and Fabio Cannavaro near the end of it actually.

I've just started reading 'Provided You Don't Kiss Me' also which is mentioned on here a lot. I was surprised that it was actually the author that said those words to Brian Clough and not the other way around! Kind of strange he'd title the book that, if you know what I mean. It seems really good though.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I've just started reading 'Provided You Don't Kiss Me' also which is mentioned on here a lot.
    I finished The Damned United last night, enjoyed it overall, peaks and troughs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah I liked it too. I suppose it was hard to know exactly what was fact and what was fiction, but I think the amount of research that must have went into it suggests that the majority might have been somewhere near the truth.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 06/04/2016 at 8:24 PM.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Yeah, I think it was in the neighbourhood or very close throughout, but everyone's eyes and ears recall differently.

Giles - http://www.theguardian.com/football/...s-leeds-united

Stronger words from Giles - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...h-2132719.html
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 06/04/2016 at 3:59 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12