Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: RTÉ: GAA - handball?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Angry RTÉ: GAA - handball?

We've heard a lot about how RTE's supposed Gaelic Games bias. People say, though, that G.Football and Hurling get bigger audiences and that justifies it. Well yes, but...

on saturday at about 5.30 (prime time, not first thing in the morning), RTE were showing the GAA sport of ... handball! And not just a snippet, at least 20-30mins - I don't know exactly because obviously I didn't stay to watch the whole thing.

How many people watch this - not a lot, I imagine. Its appaling that RTE can see fit to show this v.minority sport at a sporting prime-time and not el soccer. [yes I know they don't currently have the rights - but they didn't do this even when they did have them].

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts

Re: Re: RTÉ: GAA - handball?

Originally posted by Conor74
    A Team
    Best tele on RTE on a Saturday night anyway

btw why do people keep running with the myth that RTE don't have the rights? TV3 have, since the time the got the contract, non-exclusive rights. RTE could run a rival show if it wanted to, and a live game a week....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    We should be arguing for just as much domestic football as ther eis GAA not less GAA - I don't car eif RTE show lots of GAA - use the remote control - however they should also show lots of domestic football - it's not an either or situation

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: Re: RTÉ: GAA - handball?

Originally posted by Conor74
    Hardly prime time. If I'm right, Zena Warrior Princess and the A Team are on around then too on some of the domestic channels.
    Yeah 11.30pm monday night for eL weekly is more prime time than saturday afternoon tv.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The problem is not what other sports RTE show, but what sports they don't show. Ireland have just hosted the Handball World Championships, which believe it or not is big news abroad, (the only GAA sport to have international interest and even professional leagues). If RTE hadn't shown a highlights package then it would have been an even worse station than I thought.
    The problem is their very obvious disregard for the Eircom League. We know they want to show as much soccer as possible, premiership, spl, europe, etc, so to accuse them of willingly ingnoring their own league is pretty damn obvious.
    I feel that we, EL supporters, should contact the FAI, who in turn should be pressured into approaching RTE asking for an explanation on their policy towards EL soccer.
    We can't just continue to complain over what they show and what they don't show, we have to try to get something done about it.