Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: St. Pats going back part time!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundalkjames View Post

This is a huge shock the league is in ruins. How many teams are actually full time now? LOI teams may forget about Europe and concentrate on the league
    It always amazes me when LOI fans assume that full time "paid" training is mandatory to provide a high level product to the supporting public.
    While most here won't like to hear it, the LOI should be taking a leaf of our GAA's book. The top 100 gaa players would be as fit (at least) as EL players (ditto on skill levels) and they are only getting grants for gear and mileage plus occasional job perk. Why won't EL do it for same? If they are good enough to demand full time wages, let them go across Irish Sea. ireland doesn't have population or fan base to sustain full pro league (no more than if GAA wanted to go full time paid, it couldn't finance it)
    Get players who want to perform and train to an optimum based onsomething else apparent for every euro they can acquire for themselves.
    FAI should draw a line in sand and start a new philosophy for high level soccer in Ireland. 2 to 3 franchises in Dublin, and teams for 10-12 other teams based on population areas. e.g Galway/Mayo, Limerick/Calre etc.
    This is fundamental reason EL will continue to fail to draw anyone outside of the current hard core.

I would support a North side based Dublin team but I just can't adopt a current team with crest kisser who will jump ship for an extra €20/week.

The additional cash for TV revenue etc could be ploughed into facilities and underage. You might find thatthis concept could be universally popular as with falling attendances in preniershop (and vast swades of empty terraces each week), the Irish public are not the only ones de-affected from the entirely commercial nature of modern football.
    Last edited by rebus2008; 22/12/2008 at 1:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebus2008 View Post
    While most here won't like to hear it, the LOI should be taking a leaf of our GAA's book. The top 100 gaa players would be as fit (at least) as EL players (ditto on skill levels) and they are only getting grants for gear and mileage plus occasional job perk. Why won't EL do it for same?
    I know intercounty GAA players and they'd struggle to keep up with LOI players fitness wise. They are NOWHERE near as fit (remember that GAA game are shorter and have 15 men on the pitch (I know GAA pitches are bigger)).

You're being naive in the extreme with your rosey view of the GAA mileage and "grants for gear".

If they were being compared to full time professionals from across the world, they'd be similarly exposed as the LOI footballers are
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well I've played both GAA intercounty football and Eircom League soccer and I can tell you that the pre seasons with the Gaelic are much tougher than the soccer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by randomcomment View Post
    well i've played both gaa intercounty football and eircom league soccer and i can tell you that the pre seasons with the gaelic are much tougher than the soccer.
    lol
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Well I've played both GAA intercounty football and Eircom League soccer and I can tell you that the pre seasons with the Gaelic are much tougher than the soccer.
    What exactly does that tell you about fitness?

I thought the modern belief was that it doesn't necessarily need to "hurt" to reach peak fitness and is actually most likely to lead to overtraining and a drop in fitness (Irish rugby team before last WC).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    People who know serious sport (i.e., actually watch football) know there's a radical difference between full-time and part-time teams, not just in terms of fitness but quality of play.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebus2008 View Post
    While most here won't like to hear it, the LOI should be taking a leaf of our GAA's book. The top 100 gaa players would be as fit (at least) as EL players (ditto on skill levels) and they are only getting grants for gear and mileage plus occasional job perk.
    I know of an intercounty GAA player who also played Premier Division football (with a semi pro team) in the LoI and he said he struggled with the extra match time (and it bloody showed to be honest).
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

garyderry
    so you were a FULL-TIME soccer player in the loi????
    because thats the point being made.

And its talking complete rubbish to say the fitness of part-time GAA players
    comes anywhere near the fitness of the full-time players in the LOI.
    The amount of games they play through a full seaosn at the top full-time
    teams would easily stand up to the fitness of GAA players,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Wicklow County Final this year went to a replay, best player and fitess player on the pitch by a long shot for the 2 games was a regular Eircom League part - timer whom to my knowledge was an ever present for his EL club, also received MOTM award, fair play to ye Paudge!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Yep, but UCD's training and fitness is well known in the league. It took us three months to get a player we signed from Pat's match fit.

Why the bold and italics, by the way? Very annoying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    You can blame Man City on that one pineapple...
    ---

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I know intercounty GAA players and they'd struggle to keep up with LOI players fitness wise. They are NOWHERE near as fit (remember that GAA game are shorter and have 15 men on the pitch (I know GAA pitches are bigger)).

You're being naive in the extreme with your rosey view of the GAA mileage and "grants for gear".

If they were being compared to full time professionals from across the world, they'd be similarly exposed as the LOI footballers are
    About -3 years ago some university in Ireland ran some fitness tests using rugby, GAA and soccer players (pretty high level lads from each code) , GAA came last, the rubgy and then soccer won out, the result was that it is a bit of a myth that GAA are just as fit as pros etc.

I will see if I can find the article on the net and post it p.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    About -3 years ago some university in Ireland ran some fitness tests using rugby, GAA and soccer players (pretty high level lads from each code) , GAA came last, the rubgy and then soccer won out, the result was that it is a bit of a myth that GAA are just as fit as pros etc.

I will see if I can find the article on the net and post it p.
    It was DCU - strangely, I seem to remember the fittest person in any code was a Longford player (i.e. a part- timer) - can't remember who, though.
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofstan View Post
    It was DCU - strangely, I seem to remember the fittest person in any code was a Longford player (i.e. a part- timer) - can't remember who, though.
    was it colin notaro when he beat the bleep test!!
    Last edited by Martinho II; 22/12/2008 at 7:12 PM. Reason: gobbidgook
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Good to have actual representation than the "i know such and such"
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 22/12/2008 at 7:48 PM. Reason: part-time debate...:r
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    isnt it down to conditioning though? GAA conditioned to perform for 70, soccer players conditioned to play for 90. (not saying that there are no players who could play longer in each code)

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    my impression of 'full time' players in this country was they trained two hours in the morning on fitness conditioning, had lunch then had 90 mins tactical/ball training. I think th nordic model of 4 mornings training and a part time job outside of football (usually a stress free placement with a sponsor's company or a college course) would still equate to a full time player, only they don't get to spend half the normal working week in the bookies or on the playstation?. there's got to be a middle ground, what is obvious is we can't ofer the British model of full time football that most of the league's players will have witnessed in their teenage years over the water. These guys will still get top dollar and run up losses at clubs if we slink back to the old part time model with no personal advancement ofr the players. Have already heard rumours of 1K a week p/t contracts. If that's the standard reestablished then the league will go to seed.
    Last edited by bad mongo; 22/12/2008 at 9:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mongo View Post
    my impression of 'full time' players in this country was they trained two hours in the morning on fitness conditioning, had lunch then had 90 mins tactical/ball training.
    nope maybe an hour and a bit and off to the pool and then do what ever you want for the day then

Celbridge aka C-Bridge aka The CBDG/Leeson Street
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Bit off topic perhaps but could someone please explain to me or breakdown how on earth Pats made a loss of 2 million this season as its saying on Setanta!

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/F...me/gnid-32356/

Top clubs operate on about 2million over a season, how can a team spend that and lose another 2 million? Surely thats just bad phrasing on the journos behalf, ie that expenditure was 2mill? Or that Kelliher invested 2million less than season before?
    "Football's not a matter of life and death... its much more important than that"

http://pintofunspecific.blogspot.com

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    The top clubs in the league have been losing over a million a year anyway for the last while. Add in dismissal cases for Keane and Kerr and up the wages a bit more for the craic and you could well hit a E2m loss. Ridiculous money.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast