Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Whats happeing to the league???

citylove

Angry Whats happeing to the league???

The league is heading for disaster!!

I am surprised to hear that Darren Kelly of Derry City is heading for Carlisle United for 100,000. Carlisle's webpage is quoted saying "Irelands hottest property" is likely to sign for them.

Our league is in a bad state of affairs if players are joining 3rd division clubs but the worst thing of all is these clubs CAN afford to buy these players, while top Eircom League clubs would consider 50,000 as a huge signing!!

Where does our league stand if our best players are signing for 3rd division bottom of the table sides??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Simple economics

UK clubs have more financial resources.....this will always be the case as they have a much larger population and a much larger
    soccer supporting public at all levels

we have a small population and a proportionaly smaller number
    of soccer supporters.....theres no national culture of weekly soccer support in this country and there never will be because of GAA IS the national game

we'll never have UK soccer resources but don't confuse that with
    never having quality players........a good player is a good player whether he's playing in front of 1,500 in the Brandywell or 40,000 in the Premiership

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down The league........

........is on a huge downturn!

Crowds are falling
    Clubs are in a worse financial state.

But...
    Facilities are improving
    Media exposure is improving although from a low base.
    Players are better.

With the arrival of the bosman rule clubs will definitely sell any player whose over 22 for 100k easily! Very few clubs in the eL can survive very long on bad seasons.

The eL is definitely better than the english 3rd division no doubts about it probably about on a par with the middle of their 2nd division.

I think Ireland has many so called football "supporters" but unlike england where people will go out to watch their local 2nd or 3rd division side irish people prefer to watch sport on tv. Ireland doesn't have a high sporting attendance level although does have a huge interest in sport.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts

Re: The league........

Originally posted by rebel
    [BI think Ireland has many so called football "supporters" but unlike england where people will go out to watch their local 2nd or 3rd division side irish people prefer to watch sport on tv. Ireland doesn't have a high sporting attendance level although does have a huge interest in sport. [/B]
    Also in England, even those that do follow a top flight team are more likely to also follow a lower division/ conference level team as well. I know when I was in Manch. that if United weren't playing or were away and I had no tickets, that there would be a lot who would head to Bury, Alty whoever. The fact that there are more urban centres also is a big factor in England.

I'd also point to the fact that although the GAA gets big crowds, there are sod all games, and very few sell outs anyway. If you look at the crowds their leagues get, considering it is the national game, they are generally pathetic.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

citylove
    Its fine to say that England is more urbanised and thats the reason why they have larger attendances, but what about Norwegian and Swedish leagues whose attendences are probably small but yet can afford to purchase players over 500,000 pounds. Where are they getting the money? and how can the EL learn their secret?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    The football structure is better. In the FAI we have the junior and school boy leagues fighting for an equal share - whereas in most countries it feeds from the top down. Over here the rest of football outside of the eL doesn't see that a successful eL means more money to them long term - they take a short term view of wanting their share of the pie.

Also the coaching and underage levels in other countries is more based around the league clubs, so from a younger age they are playing and are involved in the development of these players. Subsequently they don't lose the best talent at 14/15 to a foriegn country and cash in on them when they are more mature. Those that wouldn't make the grade abroad stay and make the domestic league stronger, and don't return totally disillusioned with football because there dream hasn't been ruined by the time they are 18.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

citylove
    Just want to say well done to Derry City for not offloading Kelly to Carlisle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

why????

If a player is good he will always go to the highest paying club......fact of life.....deal with it