Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irish Junior Football League System

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts

Irish Junior Football League System

Browsing through Wikipedia I noticed that many other countries' leagues have a very detailed run through of the whole pyramid of their national leagues.

Obviously in Ireland we don't have many leagues which you could say are part of a pyramid (would be hard to make a pyramid out of 3 divisions). Having said that, I would like to get an idea of the structure of the leagues below the League of Ireland.

The structures in most of the country seem to be self explanatory, but maybe what I'd like is for someone to explain what the structure is in Leinster for example. Is it possible for clubs to gain promotion into the LSL from the other district leagues?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_j...league_systems

I've started that wiki above, where I would hope any information you lot can pass on could be entered by myself, or if anyone feels like it, they could enter any info they know.

It's a rough template so far, but I will give it a much better structure later on... Also, some stuff related to the english league structure could be in it, here and there, as I had to use the english league systems page as a template.

Actually, I'd rather people didnt mess with the wiki for now, at least not the table parts, as they are a proper ******* to get right.

EDIT: Also, the sticky that A Face put in this section was a great help too.
    Last edited by gufcfan; 28/11/2008 at 8:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    You can gain promotion to the Senior divisions of the Leinster Senior League (Intermediate) only through the junior section of the LSL. However in the past certain clubs have been parachuted into the Senior Divisions from the AUL. However clubs must reach certain standards regarding pitch, dressing rooms, showers ect.
    Always look on the bright side of life

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Thanks for that drummerboy.

So what are the Dublin AUL and Dublin AFL in relation to the LSL?

Would the LSL be 90% made up of Dublin teams or would it be more spread out than that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I'd say about 15% of the team in LSL are from outside Dublin. Most clubs from the Louth, Kildare, Meath and Wicklow.

LSL (Intermediate) (4 Divisions)
    Top division would not be far from LOI First Division. Unfortunately a lot of clubs find the need to pay players. Most clubs have excellent facilities with almost half having floodlights.

LSL (Junior Section) Mostly up and coming clubs from satelite town such as Dunshaughlin, Peamount, Rathoath ect. Quite a few of these clubs have excellent facilities, floodlights ect. The Saturday section is mostly made up of the reserve teams of Intermediate clubs. Decent standard in the top divisions of Saturday and Sunday.

AUL
    Probably the strongest of the junior leagues. While facilities are improving they still have a long way to go. Most clubs are based on the north side of Dublin. Standard decent. A couple of the top clubs like Killester could hold their own in the top LSL division, rest wouldn't though.

LJL
    Can't say I know much about this league. Run by Charlie O’Leary. Most of the country clubs have left to form their own leagues. Those left are clubs from southside of Dublin who have no facilitiels and quite a few play in PHoenix Park.

AFL
    Another northside league. Poor standard. Poor facilities with the exceptio of the league own grounds.

UCL
    This is a Saturday league which was once the bastion of Protestant clubs who did not want to play on Sundays. While quite a few of these clubs still exist, the league now reflect a cross section of society with clubs made up from public servants ect. They have produced some decent clubs over the years such as Trinity Corinthians who are made up of Trinity graduates and have been successful in the LJCup and Clontarf who also won the LJC.
    Last edited by drummerboy; 28/11/2008 at 10:40 AM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    I'd say about 15% of the team in LSL are from outside Dublin. Most clubs from the Louth, Kildare, Meath and Wicklow.

LSL (Intermediate) (4 Divisions)
    Top division would not be far from LOI First Division. Unfortunately a lot of clubs find the need to pay players. Most clubs have excellent facilities with almost half having floodlights.

LSL (Junior Section) Mostly up and coming clubs from satelite town such as Dunshaughlin, Peamount, Rathoath ect. Quite a few of these clubs have excellent facilities, floodlights ect. The Saturday section is mostly made up of the reserve teams of Intermediate clubs. Decent standard in the top divisions of Saturday and Sunday.

AUL
    Probably the strongest of the junior leagues. While facilities are improving they still have a long way to go. Most clubs are based on the north side of Dublin. Standard decent. A couple of the top clubs like Killester could hold their own in the top LSL division, rest wouldn't though.

LJL
    Can't say I know much about this league. Run by Charlie O’Leary. Most of the country clubs have left to form their own leagues. Those left are clubs from southside of Dublin who have no facilitiels and quite a few play in PHoenix Park.

AFL
    Another northside league. Poor standard. Poor facilities with the exceptio of the league own grounds.

UCL
    This is a Saturday league which was once the bastion of Protestant clubs who did not want to play on Sundays. While quite a few of these clubs still exist, the league now reflect a cross section of society with clubs made up from public servants ect. They have produced some decent clubs over the years such as Trinity Corinthians who are made up of Trinity graduates and have been successful in the LJCup and Clontarf who also won the LJC.
    In Munster the situation is a little more straightforward.
    There is Munster Senior League for Intermediate clubs and the Junior leagues from each of the other counties, Cork, Waterford ,Kerry, Limerick, Clare and Tipperary.
    The Waterford and District League is very strong with both Carrick Utd and Waterford Glass very recent winners of the prestigious FAI Junior Cup, with the former having a very good run in the Senior Cup, beating Everton of the Munster League along the way.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    I'll update the wiki with the info yee have given me in time.

Here's the link again for anyone who wants to look... or make suggestions or whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_j...league_systems

Formerly skibbereen co.cork but now Oregon USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smasher View Post
    In Munster the situation is a little more straightforward.
    There is Munster Senior League for Intermediate clubs and the Junior leagues from each of the other counties, Cork, Waterford ,Kerry, Limerick, Clare and Tipperary.
    The Waterford and District League is very strong with both Carrick Utd and Waterford Glass very recent winners of the prestigious FAI Junior Cup, with the former having a very good run in the Senior Cup, beating Everton of the Munster League along the way.
    The West Cork League clubs- Cork Aul are basically the same level and clubs from these leagues can apply to join the Munster Junior league and if facilities are good enough can join and progress up too MSL. I guess its the same for Junior league's (nothing formal)
    Also Munster senior league has 2 junior divisions below it. (5 tier system) http://www.msl.leaguerepublic.com/In...vision=5747722
    Last edited by citybone; 28/11/2008 at 10:35 AM.
    west cork district league
    west cork commandos

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    So DrummerBoy,

Would you say that the AUL, LJL, AFL, UCL are all technically on the same tier or are they above each other in that order or what? but they would be below the LSL...

Also. who do they stand for... AUL (Amateur ..... League?), LJL (Leinster Junior League?), AFL (Amateur Football League?), UCL (United Churches?)
    Actually that last one makes sense...

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    UCL is officially UCFL - United Churches Football League. The standard would vary between the leagues but they're all junior so no particular pyramid to them.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    PassingInterest,

While your at it, do you know the name of the Wexford League and how many teams it has?

Cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Wexford Football League. Official website is here;
    http://www.wexfordfootballleague.com/

A quick count makes it 58 clubs with 9 divisions, many of the clubs having second and third teams.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citybone View Post
    The West Cork League clubs- Cork Aul are basically the same level and clubs from these leagues can apply to join the Munster Junior league and if facilities are good enough can join and progress up too MSL. I guess its the same for Junior league's (nothing formal)
    Also Munster senior league has 2 junior divisions below it. (5 tier system) http://www.msl.leaguerepublic.com/In...vision=5747722
    It should be pointed out that the Cork AUL (nor west cork league) is not as a feeder for the MSL they are separate entities. Some of the larger Junior clubs do look at joining the Munster Senior League but it seems to be happening less of late as the west cork and AUL try to improve their overall standards and structures... If a club does move across, Lakewood or Blarney to list a few recent teams (last 4-5 years) they moved straight into the senior section and would normally have a 2nd team that might go into the MSL junior section
    Last edited by Innishvilla; 28/11/2008 at 11:42 AM.
    ”That should be NO problem for the defence – OH NOOOO!!”
    George Hamilton...
    http://www.innishvilla.com

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    thanks passinginterest, looks like there is a healthly league going on down there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Leinster Senior League http://www.lsl.ie
    AUL (Athletic Union League) http://www.aul.ie
    UCL United Churches League http://www.ucfl.ie
    LJL Leinster Junior League
    AFL Amateur Football League http://www.amateurfootballleague.com

Basically the Intermediate section of the LSL is a tier above the other leagues which are all supposedly on the same level (Junior)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    UCFL website has been down for the last few months, it's due to be relaunched shortly. It was pretty rubbish so hopefully they come up with something decent this time. It's a pain relying on the Herald for results and league tables.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Thanks DrummerBoy, i'll put that into the wiki and get peoples opinions on the accuracy of my work.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    More questions....

I suppose then that while technically all the teams in Leinster would look towards the LSL, would the champions of say, the Wexford DL apply to get into it?

I mean, they would be starting off Saturday Major 1A or B or something, so it wouldnt really be a natural progression for them...

I'm starting to wonder whether I should bother at all because there is no real natural order in which the leagues can be ordered...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I think the travel involved would deter clubs from Wexford joining the LSL.

Quite a few of the top clubs in the LSL have come from the AUL. Clubs such as Tolka Rovers, Cherry Orchard were stalwarts of the AUL, while Malahide came from the Amateur League. However lately the movement has stalled. This is due mainly to the reluctance of the LSL to allow clubs parachute into the Top Division and the prize for the winning he AUL is an all paid trip to places like the US and South Africa. When clubs do come from other leagues now they end up in Major or Major 1 Sunday, which is effictively the 5th or 6th division of the league. It will be interesting to see where Kilkenny will be placed if they do bother joining the league.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Leinster is a bit of a head scratcher at the moment so ill just fill in what I can of the district leagues in Connacht.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Here is a list I compiled a year ago about the junior leagues:

http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=704947&postcount=35

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast