Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Declan Ganley Prime Time

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Declan Ganley Prime Time

Was it just me or do the "investigators" at prime time always just fly kites and leave things hanging. The only subject i know much about is LOI Football and on 2 previous programmes they have done on this were laughable. In the first of these programmes i recall rte "investigator" interviewing local sligo soccer official about the state of irish football at the grassroots, this particular gentleman had a gripe against the powers that be at the fai at the time so he was suitably interviewed beside a grotty container in a boggy field used as a dressing room. The previous week the same man was proudly showing me the span new facilities in another part of sligo with astro turf, top class pitches and floodlights and spanking new dressing rooms. Hilarious. The last LOI "investigation" must have been sponsored by fintan drury as it quickly got in to all the deadpan grounds but left the likes of Terryland or Turners cross out. Tonight they turn the guns on Ganley and throw up all sorts of stuff even showing a body on the ground and vaguely associate the man with the body on the ground. They look at albania and show some sort of paper that ganley gathered but ended up been wortlhess and they interview a blabbering old chap in albanian tongue and expect us to believe the subtitles?
    Some irish guy in riga for 14 years claims he knows everyone there, Im in Galway for 40 years and i still dont know "everyone"

The cranky cow doin the investigating traversed the globe and seemed to find nothing. I hope she didnt lavish herself with hairdos and fancy hotels out of public money in the interest of public service.

Dangerous stuff, better vote yes the next time or else...
    Last edited by geezer; 27/11/2008 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Dangerous stuff, better vote yes the next time or else...
    We gave our answer 6 months ago.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    It was a programme with an agenda, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't right to ask questions. They couldn't find answers, Ganley wouldn't provide answers, so what else could they do but leave it hanging. Lovely house he has though, so there's money from somewhere.

tbh I thought they would've had more to dedicate a whole programme. Still, probably a licence fee increase earned...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Lovely house he has though, so there's money from somewhere.
    To be fair, there's hardly a question about whether he's rich or not. The question is how he's using his and other people's money to fund a political agenda.

adam

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    It was just an aside really. I don't think it went into the political side enough tbh.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

if

thats the best those "investigators" can do its very bad. Maybe they hey should get someone to investigate prime time "investigates".

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I think the most bizarre was when Ganley denied all knowledge of the dead Albanian guy despite the fact he was a Director in Ganleys company. Don't know why he was saying he did not know him as it wasn't like RTE were suggesting he had him killed.

He could not answer the source of his funding for Libertas. If he is funding it entirely himself why does he not just say that.

I would think impossible to do business in the parts of world he has been involved in without shady dealings. If he was involved in politics I doubt anyone would care.

Ganley just blames everything on the EU bogey man. They are out to get me!
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Prime Time.

Prime Time having an agenda-now theres a shocker.Some of their reporting is just weak and only half decent at best.Ganley is an upstart rocking the establishment of which RTE and Independent Newspapers are fully paid up members so they naturally try to smear him anyway they can.Why cant he and others be good brainwashed little citizens and just stay watching their soaps and football on tv and getting hammered at weekends instead of fighting for what they believe in,tut tut.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes, all very fair. But what exactly is it that Declan Ganley believes in? As much as RTE had an agenda there is still a lot of questions over who this guy is and where his substantial finances have come from. Though it is also hard to believe that he is some sort of gangster overlord from Glenamaddy which it seemed Prime Time were hinting at.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It reminded me of Charlie Haughey. Loads of money, but no real source for it. He was being very evasive. I don’t have an issue with him using him own money to push his agenda, but please be honest about it & just say that he’s funding it himself. What is his real agenda.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Haughey was a politician on the take. Ganley is a businessman. There's no comparison.

I thought he handled the interview well, given the provocative questions thrown at him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ganley is trying to be a politician, while not having been elected. His source of wealth & his use of it is questionabl. Far from being good in the prime time interview , he came across as having alot to hide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declan_Ganley

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Haughey was a politician on the take. Ganley is a businessman. There's no comparison.
    Almost sweet in it's naivete.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Fao Ringo?

Ringo:why is what he does with his money questionable????Its his money and entirely his own business what he does with it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Ganley is a politician now. RTE would not be interviewing or investigating him if he was a businessman.

There is no doubt he is a smooth operator & seems well disposed to politics.

Good profile here
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eamo1 View Post
    Ringo:why is what he does with his money questionable????Its his money and entirely his own business what he does with it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declan_Ganley
    In a point of order on 22 September 2008, Daniel Cohn-Bendit (the French born/German elected co-chair of the Green/Regionalist European Parliament group called G/EFA) asked the President of the Parliament to investigate media reports that linked Ganley, as principal funder of the Libertas campaign, with the Pentagon and the C.I.A. The President, Hans-Gert Pöttering, replied: "According to the reports, he now has admitted that he himself has lent € 200,000 of his personal assets to his organisation, and it has also been confirmed in the meantime that Mr Ganley has signed contracts with the Pentagon over the execution of military orders amounting to about 200 million - I believe - dollars. Other estimates are much higher." [26] The President also said that "The facts must be put on the table. We cannot allow Europe to be harmed by people who demand transparency but do not provide it themselves.".[26][27]http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0923/1222105125507.html

Eh , no it isn't. If he was giving it to FF there would be a tribunal. He has an agenda, probably to aid his business interests.
    Last edited by Ringo; 29/11/2008 at 2:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    He has an agenda, probably to aid his business interests.
    Possibly to aid his business interests Ringo, be fair. But that's why he needs to be open and transparent about how his political campaigns are run.

adam

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

We're none the wiser on Ganley after hatchet job

RTE's Prime Time on Thursday night purported to be a profile of Declan Ganley, the founder of Libertas and irritant of the European body politic. Instead, it broadcast an elegantly produced hatchet job that failed to shed light on his ambitions, his motivations or, more crucially, the source of his political movement's funding.

At the very start of the programme, Miriam O'Callaghan described Ganley as an enigma, and asked whether his "incredible life story actually stacked up". There were, she said, more questions than answers, and then Prime Time proceeded to deliver yet more questions -- some of very dubious quality -- and very few answers.
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/an...?service=Print

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eamo1
    Ganley is an upstart rocking the establishment of which RTE and Independent Newspapers are fully paid up members so they naturally try to smear him anyway they can.Why cant he and others be good brainwashed little citizens and just stay watching their soaps and football on tv and getting hammered at weekends instead of fighting for what they believe in,tut tut.
    I think that post best sums up the saga.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    So, in conclusion, Prime Time is yet again shown to be a staggeringly inept piece of 'investigative journalism'. I'm shocked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast