Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Comparison of Irish clubs in Europe versus Scottish clubs in Europe

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poster View Post
    Isn't that what happened in 2005?
    That the club folded? No.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    So the teams are now crap. Well, at least you're getting there.
    Still a bigger and best club than yours. Not as crap as your crap so to speak. St Johnstone would walk the LOI with some of the players they have. They're not stars but they're decent.

They do get hockeyed in Glasgow 4 times a year, but at least they get to go to places like Kilmarnock, Motherwell, and even Inverness the rest of the year. Sure how more glamourous can it get
    All with stadiums (that they actually built themselves and own. Imagine that concept?) and set-ups superior and/or FAR superior to yours and clubs with a full time professional set-up, unlike yours. Carry on though demaning though it's funny as hell because you actually think you're something

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    A Swiss court has ordered Swiss-based UEFA to reinstate FC Sion. I'm not sure what the legal implications would be for UEFA to ignore the order but I would surprised if they didn't stick to their guns and leave Celtic in.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottis...still-pending/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    A Swiss court has ordered Swiss-based UEFA to reinstate FC Sion. I'm not sure what the legal implications would be for UEFA to ignore the order but I would surprised if they didn't stick to their guns and leave Celtic in.

It's highly unlikely but it's getting to the stage where I'm starting not to care, it's boring now!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post

Celtic got a hiding of Sion and Sion deserve to be there on football merit. FWIW Celtic are gick

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    A hiding? We played the game with ten men aren't they great! The player who scored the two goals to knock us out and who won their penalty to put us down to ten men shouldn't have been on the pitch. They cheated. They're sh*t and we're better than them, we should be there. Add to that Shels should be playing Limerick in the cup by the same principle. We were cheated we should progress.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TiocfaidhArmani View Post
    A hiding? We played the game with ten men aren't they great! The player who scored the two goals to knock us out and who won their penalty to put us down to ten men shouldn't have been on the pitch. They cheated. They're sh*t and we're better than them, we should be there. Add to that Shels should be playing Limerick in the cup by the same principle. We were cheated we should progress.
    Oh course. Shels didn't throw the game at all.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    St Johnstone would walk the LOI with some of the players they have.

Would they fook. Not even close. You really have no idea of the standard of Scottish football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4Ever View Post
    Would they fook. Not even close. You really have no idea of the standard of Scottish football
    I watch it enough. I live there, unlike you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    We're all off to sunny Spain.....

http://celticfc.net/newsstory?item=1544

THE UEFA Appeals Body today rejected FC Sion's appeal against their expulsion from the group stages of this season's Europa League.

Celtic were reinstated to the competition, and will take on Atletico Madrid, Udinese and Rennes. The first match takes place this Thursday, September 15 at the Vicente Calderon Stadium in Madrid.

Clearly, Celtic are pleased with the decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Still a bigger and best club than yours. Not as crap as your crap so to speak. St Johnstone would walk the LOI with some of the players they have. They're not stars but they're decent.
    There is not a chance that that is even remotely true. If you picked another club then maybe it would have held up to some degree but you are trying to take the complete and utter mick if you are saying thats true. Thats an argument/rebuttal that was widely used about 10 years and was true, but alot has changed since then (in both leagues).

All with stadiums (that they actually built themselves and own. Imagine that concept?) and set-ups superior and/or FAR superior to yours and clubs with a full time professional set-up, unlike yours. Carry on though demaning though it's funny as hell because you actually think you're something
    They have better stadiums yeah, and by and large they employ more people, and those jobs are somewhat stable but a very simplistic answer to that is "so what!" And thats not making light of it, we are (and they are) where we are. All LOI clubs can do is to strive to match that. If Scottish clubs didn't have those setups, given the opportunity and time they have had to set them up then that would be something to raise your eyebrow at but other than that its a non-event.

LOI clubs have meandered for years without direction and purpose and the powers that be were happy to leave it happen, cap in hand with the other hand out to the Irish public for decades. This is nothing new, to a man, each and every single person on this forum knows this. We have endured it for years. With people like Ollie Byrne and his ilk running the game here what else would you expect.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    There is not a chance that that is even remotely true. If you picked another club then maybe it would have held up to some degree but you are trying to take the complete and utter mick if you are saying thats true. Thats an argument/rebuttal that was widely used about 10 years and was true, but alot has changed since then (in both leagues).
    They're a full time professional club, how am I taking the mick? They have some players that would completely walk the LOI.

They have better stadiums yeah, and by and large they employ more people, and those jobs are somewhat stable but a very simplistic answer to that is "so what!" And thats not making light of it, we are (and they are) where we are. All LOI clubs can do is to strive to match that. If Scottish clubs didn't have those setups, given the opportunity and time they have had to set them up then that would be something to raise your eyebrow at but other than that its a non-event.
    I haven't a clue what point you're trying to make there. Like I said a few times I don't think why people in Ireland try and mock Scotland, that's all. I don't see how we can, we're not in a position to. I think we should be looking to them and learning from them, not mocking when even most teams in the second tier in Scotland have better stadia and set-ups than nearly all the LOI clubs and they own them themselves without any help from anyone. What we need to do is look at is how they achieved that and try and replicate that. I would start by firing John Delaney and paying someone €100k per annum and reinstating the league prize money to what it was so clubs can invest in better facilities.

LOI clubs have meandered for years without direction and purpose and the powers that be were happy to leave it happen, cap in hand with the other hand out to the Irish public for decades. This is nothing new, to a man, each and every single person on this forum knows this. We have endured it for years. With people like Ollie Byrne and his ilk running the game here what else would you expect.
    I agree. Here's hoping things change for the fans sake, those who have faithfully supported the league deserve stability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    They're a full time professional club, how am I taking the mick? They have some players that would completely walk the LOI.
    A full time professional club failed to walk the League of Ireland last season. They're a good team with good players and it's possible they would win the LOI Premier Division but there's no evidence at all to suggest they'd walk it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    bit harsh on Sion. UEFA approved their squad after all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    This has been dealt with already. I can't be bothered with going into the semantics of it again, but they were warned the players were ineligible before it started. Celtic protested before the first leg and played under protest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Bit harsh on the group - it'll be less competitive with Sion out and Celtic in.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    This has been dealt with already. I can't be bothered with going into the semantics of it again, but they were warned the players were ineligible before it started. Celtic protested before the first leg and played under protest.
    Think you're on the wrong forum mate... I really hope you know that the crest you have as your avatar doesnt spell Seltic FC?
    Enjoy the europa league on sky or with binoculars at the top of the 2nd tier of Parkhead! meanwhile I'll be so close to the action I wont even need your 3D specs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by born2bwild View Post
    Bit harsh on the group - it'll be less competitive with Sion out and Celtic in.
    No it won't, we're a better team, a far bigger club and have a better fans to add to the competition. They beat us with ten men for 90 minutes, woop de du.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    thought it was a two legged tie Chucky?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    Think you're on the wrong forum mate... I really hope you know that the crest you have as your avatar doesnt spell Seltic FC?
    Enjoy the europa league on sky or with binoculars at the top of the 2nd tier of Parkhead! meanwhile I'll be so close to the action I wont even need your 3D specs!
    Row N Jock Stein Lower my dear boy.

I'll be sitting in this arena famous for its atmosphere on a European night:

And you'll be in this cow shed:

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast